Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't wake from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the app cannot connect to the car, a simple workaround is to hold the phone where you would hold the key card, under the side camera in the B-pillar, touching or almost touching the car.

NFC needs to be enabled. The Tesla app needs to be installed, but not open.

Try it, you'll like it.

I don't know whether this works on an iPhone as well, have only tried it on Android.

Looks like .11 is starting to roll out now, maybe to fix this issue?

I had a play this evening, I open the door it instantly connects to WiFi, I turn WiFi off and there is no lte for a few seconds, rebooted the car same thing WiFi connects took another 20-30secs before lte connected. It’s not app related as I can’t get any third party app or any direct api calls to wake it up either. It is a massive pita as it stops ev.energy from working as well as unlocking the charge port now requires opening the door to wake the car up... hopefully will be fixed soon.

We upgraded to 2020.36.10 nearly a week ago. Its been fine until now so its directly related to new software or any iOS update. We are also on wifi.

It is also affecting third party apps like TeslaFi.

View attachment 589108

In the end, the Tesla app just gives up with a 'Vehicle Connection Error'. But part way through the waking up, the Frunk and Unlock icons briefly enable.

View attachment 589112
The reason your frunk and unlock buttons appear are because your phone is in range and connected to the car which is why it says phone key connected, that’s done over Bluetooth so that’s why that seems to work without any connection.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
So I seem to not have the problem anymore!!? I went to the car got in and then tried to connect with my phone. Now I am back in the house away from the car it connects near instantly.

How long did you wait after the car was locked before trying to access it with the app?

The car takes 10 minutes or so to go to sleep again after being opened and then locked again, so is it a possibility that the car didn't need to wake up when you tried this test?

The problem seems to be that if the car has gone to sleep, then it won't wake up. If the car is awake it works just fine with the app.

Found a trick for anyone on Android and has the banner notification on their phones. If you press unlock and then lock it instantly wakes up and the app starts working again!
Doesn't work in the app, only the notification banner for me
Hmm - tried this and it works. Wonder how it can do that? I was far enough away from the car that the Bluetooth was disconnected. Sounds like there's some API change been made.

Annoyingly mine is doing the same. To top it off it didn't charge either. Neither EV energy nor ohme were able to wake it up. Locking and unlocking did wake it up (through the banner) as a temporary work around.

Will be an interesting weekend away...