Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't wake from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the same issue here, but had it before I updated to .10 yesterday.

On android here and tried the trick above and it works for me.

Banner notifications for me look like this for info. (Have to drag down or press the little down symbol on RHS to get the unlock section)

Just wish this also had an unlock charge cable as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200918-084744_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20200918-084744_One UI Home.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: Cwmwd

Banner notifications for me look like this for info. (Have to drag down or press the little down symbol on RHS to get the unlock section)

Thanks for the picture. I'm missing the bottom part of those notifications where it has the unlock.

Hmm. Will have to look into that. Anyone else?

i never used to get the extra bits with my old Samsung Note 4 phone, now on samsung A50, newer android OS, but presume S10 will be fully supported/updated still?

The reason your frunk and unlock buttons appear are because your phone is in range and connected to the car which is why it says phone key connected, that’s done over Bluetooth so that’s why that seems to work without any connection.

This concerned me as I wondered if something had changed to improve bluetooth range so my phone was now in unlock range - I had tested the ability on several times to unlock car in the past and it was not possible to gain physical access to the vehicle if phone was not on my person.

So even though the two icons were lit, and a previous test showed that the vehicle could still be unlocked from the app in this state, thankfully it was still not possible to physically unlock the car from the handles etc unless the phone was in much closer proximity/on my person.

How do we complain about this? - is raising a service request the only way?
Lots of folk requested service regarding the reduced charge rate issue as it seemed the best way to get some attention. Possibly need to do similar for this as there isn't a clear mechanism otherwise. That said, likely they are aware given it's widespread. I'll also take a look on the Facebook group

Just checked again, and neither the Android or iOS version of the app will wake the car up. The car behaved normally, and charged at the max rate for a few hours last night, and from what I can see on Teslamate there are no communication problems.

It seems that for some reason the app just gets a timeout from the server during the wake up phase. I've tried tapping to get it to retry waking the car up, but that just times out.

Tried to submit a service request and the app is falling over at the final stage, yet again (had this happen several times now). Might phone them and flag it, really just so they have loads of reports about the problem.

This concerned me as I wondered if something had changed to improve bluetooth range so my phone was now in unlock range - I had tested the ability on several times to unlock car in the past and it was not possible to gain physical access to the vehicle if phone was not on my person.

So even though the two icons were lit, and a previous test showed that the vehicle could still be unlocked from the app in this state, thankfully it was still not possible to physically unlock the car from the handles etc unless the phone was in much closer proximity/on my person.
Correct, it is just within bluetooth range which does not mean that it is enough for you to open it from the handle, I'm not sure exactly what the car does but I think it looks at the signal strength to work out how close you are to the car to decide whether to allow you open it with the handle or not.

Just checked again, and neither the Android or iOS version of the app will wake the car up. The car behaved normally, and charged at the max rate for a few hours last night, and from what I can see on Teslamate there are no communication problems.

It seems that for some reason the app just gets a timeout from the server during the wake up phase. I've tried tapping to get it to retry waking the car up, but that just times out.

Tried to submit a service request and the app is falling over at the final stage, yet again (had this happen several times now). Might phone them and flag it, really just so they have loads of reports about the problem.
It isn't just the tesla app though, it is any api call to wake up the car. It looks possibly related to something in the car, when I open the car the app then connects instantly as the car connects to wifi, i then turn wifi off and it takes a few seconds for LTE to connect. It seems like the car is turning the LTE signal off.

Since this doesn't seem to affect every car, and from what I can see only seems to be an issue in the UK. Does anyone that has premium connectivity also have the problem, is everyone reporting the issue have no premium connectivity?

I’ve just managed to schedule a service appointment about this. I’m sure it will be cancelled but at least it brings it to their attention.

Correct, it is just within bluetooth range which does not mean that it is enough for you to open it from the handle, I'm not sure exactly what the car does but I think it looks at the signal strength to work out how close you are to the car to decide whether to allow you open it with the handle or not.

It isn't just the tesla app though, it is any api call to wake up the car. It looks possibly related to something in the car, when I open the car the app then connects instantly as the car connects to wifi, i then turn wifi off and it takes a few seconds for LTE to connect. It seems like the car is turning the LTE signal off.

Since this doesn't seem to affect every car, and from what I can see only seems to be an issue in the UK. Does anyone that has premium connectivity also have the problem, is everyone reporting the issue have no premium connectivity?

The car is definitely talking to the Tesla Mothership, though, as Teslamate was pulling data from there last night with no issues. Only slightly oddball point I spotted was that, having charged for several hours last night the car went to sleep about 10 minutes after the charge stopped, as normal, but then woke up again for 15 minutes around 07:00 this morning. Something must have woken the car up, and it was nothing at my end, as both the phone and tablet were off, and Teslamate is set not to keep the car awake (more accurately not to interrupt a sleep attempt). I don't have sentry mode set, and neither of us were up and about when this happened, so there's no chance that the key fob went near the car.

That only leaves the car itself waking up for some unknown reason, which seems unlikely, or that the Tesla Mothership woke the car up. If it was the latter, then that means there's isn't a comms problem that prevents the car waking up, neither is there a problem from Tesla's end, which makes it probable that the problem is somewhere within the Tesla Mothership, in the way it's handling API calls from the app. Given that Tesla recently blocked API access from several cloud servers, I'm a wee bit suspicious that this may be related to whatever they were doing then. It may be that they are changing stuff ahead of the switch to 2FA, and have accidentally broken some of the existing functionality.

Reactions: Ruffles

TeslaFi also fails to wake the car.