Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't wake from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have “serious” UniFi WiFi and there is no question that the M3 completely disconnects from WiFi when asleep. It is also possible, however, that in the complete absence of mobile signal the car decides to keep the WiFi connected instead (which would explain @Glan gluaisne scenario). However, it doesn’t explain how it could be limited to the U.K. only, whereas an SMS issue would.

I still tend to believe it is SMS or nothing, and that @Glan gluaisne car is secretly able to receive these messages in spite of living at the bottom of a very deep well, I mean valley.

From the posts above from @jmas it seems that the issue is also happening in Spain, so not just a UK problem.

As for the car being able to get SMS from a mobile network, then I think the chance is somewhere between very remote and non-existent. We had to change banks a couple of years ago because of the inability to receive text messages here, when our old bank (Santander) switch to 2FA using a text message for the access code. We had a work around we used for a while, where one of us would walk up the hill to get a phone signal, call the landline to say they were ready, the other would log in to the banking website, the text would be received by whoever was up the hill, and they would scribble the number down and ring the landline to pass the code on before the banking website timed out. It wasn't exactly an easy process, but then neither was switching banks. It got to the point where the hassle from having to go up the hill to receive a text was greater than the hassle of changing banks, so we moved all of our account to a bank that offered a card reader for 2FA. No sooner had we done all that then my wife's phone started to be able to receive texts via WiFi . . .

Greetings for Spain.

I want you to know that we are suffering this same problem here. It affects many cars with MCU2, mine included (M3 LR AWD).

Also, I have *exactly* the same symptoms you described since last Wednesday. On late Friday, 2020.36.11 was aggresively pushed to many cars here, including mine. Once the installation finished, my car stayed awake during more than one hour, which is definitely an anomalous behaviour. Since then, the phantom drain has been increased. I think that this happens because my car awakes (by itself) more frequently, and stays awake longer. I have no third party parts, TeslaFi, etc. accessing my car.
Thanks, that is very helpful.

We wait and see what new surprise the mothership holds for us.

yes it is for sure, connection may be
WiFi LTE BT radios all powered off in deep sleep. Only remaining radio is gsm. Sms is anywhere from 140-250 bytes, nothing, even for an old network. They’re getting through.

Sorry, that's not true. The keys wouldn't work if Bluetooth was off, and GSM won't be a separate 'radio', it's all part of the same modem component. It seems highly unlikely that SMS is any part of this, and I see no evidence to suggest it is. No way your car would wake in a few seconds in the app if that relying on a SMS message.
Lots of places don't have mobile coverage, as pointed out by Glan SMS specifically doesn't work where he lives yet the car wakes up.

The car simply maintains a data connection, like your phone does. Perhaps it drops wifi if there is a decent signal.

Reactions: KennethS
Whether or not the car appears on the list of connected clients on the router seems to be random, from what I've seen. 90% of the time our router doesn't report the car as a connected client, but neither does it report our Roberts internet radio as connected either (in fact it never seems to report that as being connected). I've sat looking at the router "connected clients" page, trying to work out what's connected, and often things that are on all the time (like the RPi running Teslamate, or my Android tablet) don't show on the list. I've never worked out why this is, but it's an annoying feature when setting up something like a new RPi, and not being able to easily see what IP address it's acquired via DHCP. Angry IP scanner seems to work a little better than our Asus router at finding connected devices, but even that sometimes takes several scans to find some devices. It's one reason that all the stuff I've made that connects to the network, plus our network printer and my NAS, are configured with fixed IP addresses. At least that way I can quickly SSH into the things I need to access without messing about trying to find out if their IP has changed since last time.
I looked at the router's low-level logs and I can see the DHCP request coming in when the car wakes, so I'll pretty sure it's not connected when it's sleeping.

My work around to wake the car up without going out to it is to use the Phone app to unlock and then lock the car. This seems to work even when the app is in its endless waking up state. Within a few seconds of doing this the app connects with the car as normal.
Yes it will work because it uses Bluetooth to wake the car but it will only work within Bluetooth range.

Sorry, that's not true. The keys wouldn't work if Bluetooth was off, and GSM won't be a separate 'radio', it's all part of the same modem component. It seems highly unlikely that SMS is any part of this, and I see no evidence to suggest it is. No way your car would wake in a few seconds in the app if that relying on a SMS message.
Lots of places don't have mobile coverage, as pointed out by Glan SMS specifically doesn't work where he lives yet the car wakes up.

The car simply maintains a data connection, like your phone does. Perhaps it drops wifi if there is a decent signal.
Could an sms be sent as a belt and braces in case there is no data connection as a backup which then prompts the car to connect WiFi if available. I agree it is unlikely to be the primary method?

Could an sms be sent as a belt and braces in case there is no data connection as a backup which then prompts the car to connect WiFi if available. I agree it is unlikely to be the primary method?

Why would you? If you are going to power up modem in order to receive a SMS message, why not just connect to it over a data connection? Your mobile phone is doing this, and standby time is something like 50hrs from 2Ah of battery.

yes it is for sure, connection may be
WiFi LTE BT radios all powered off in deep sleep. Only remaining radio is gsm. Sms is anywhere from 140-250 bytes, nothing, even for an old network. They’re getting through.

Given the amount of money I've spent in erecting that high gain antenna, low loss cable, repeater unit, etc, not to mention days spent researching and trying to find a solution to the zero signal problem, I do think that I'm in a slightly better position when it comes to knowing whether or not there is any signal here than you, don't you? Do you really think I'd have gone to all that trouble and expense if all it took was to use whatever whizz bang antenna that Tesla fit in the door mirror?

Despite all the clarification I've tried to give about the position here re: mobile signals in general, you're still insisting that I'm lying, it seems, and that the years I've spent working on various radio and instrumentation systems means I know nothing about propagation.

As yet another attempt to show it's not just me making all this up, we had our electricity meter replaced around 2 years ago. The installer got out of his van, and the first words to us were "You know you can't have a smart meter, don't you?". As it happens we wanted an E7 meter, but apparently he'd been told by the supplier to install a smart meter to future proof the installation. As he knew the area well he knew there was no point in trying to install a smart meter before even doing a signal check, as there's not a glimmer of a signal down here. Chatting to him whilst he was working he was moaning about the times his bosses had sent him out to locations like ours to fit a smart meter, even though he'd told them wasn't a hope in hell a smart meter would work in that location.

Hard as it may be for some who've never lived in a rural area, there are still areas where mobile coverage is poor to non-existent, and where the population density is too low for any mobile company to invest in infrastructure. Last year we thought our troubles with the lack of signal would be over, as EE obtained planning consent to erect a mast at the end of the valley, about half a mile away from us. This mast is now up and running, but EE have restricted it for future ESN use only, with no public access. I'm part of a group of 11 residents who are currently lobbying to try and force EE to allow public access to the signal from this mast, with priority to ESN. We know this tactic has succeeded in some other valley communities where EE have erected similar microcells for the ESN service, but so far they are refusing to do the same here, with the exception that they will allow public use of this microcell for 999 calls. It seems there's no technical reason for blocking public use, apparently it's something to do with licensing and the terms under which EE gained permission for this mast within the AONB, that restrict them to ESN use only.

Perhaps not directly related to your problem.... but I've recently had my Tesla app fail to connect to the car, consistently. What had changed in my situation was I recently installed a VPN on my phone (that is hosted by MS servers) and apparently Tesla recently has decided to not allow connections from certain servers, including MS.

Turned off my VPN and voila remote connection from the app works again.

Perhaps not directly related to your problem.... but I've recently had my Tesla app fail to connect to the car, consistently. What had changed in my situation was I recently installed a VPN on my phone (that is hosted by MS servers) and apparently Tesla recently has decided to not allow connections from certain servers, including MS.

Tesla blocked access from several cloud services a week or so ago, so it may be they also blocked any VPNs using the same services?

Seems possible, given all the hassle that users of TeslaFi and other similar apps had when this happened.

The problem we have here though is not that we can't connect to the Tesla mothership - that works fine. The problem is between the mothership and the car.

Reactions: Jason71
Tesla blocked access from several cloud services a week or so ago, so it may be they also blocked any VPNs using the same services?

Seems possible, given all the hassle that users of TeslaFi and other similar apps had when this happened.
This is the log I get from Teslafi when I try to do something with the car that requires a wake-up:

upload_2020-9-20_21-55-33.png

So, there's no issue with TeslaFi talking to the Tesla server - it's that the car isn't responding to the wake-up request that the Tesla servers indicate was successfully received.

This is the log I get from Teslafi when I try to do something with the car that requires a wake-up:

View attachment 590314
So, there's no issue with TeslaFi talking to the Tesla server - it's that the car isn't responding to the wake-up request that the Tesla servers indicate was successfully received.

Sorry, should have been clearer. I was replying to @Pilot Steve about his phone not connecting when using a VPN, and suggesting that the VPN he was using may have been blocked by Tesla as they had also blocked a number of cloud service providers at that time, the block that caused several apps like TeslaFi to fail to connect to Tesla until they switched services to other providers. IIRC Tesla blocked AWS, GCP and Azure services, by blocking their IP ranges. If a VPN service was also using one of those services then it would have been blocked as well, perhaps.

It’s really odd. There doesn’t appear to be a common factor
The cars are different ages and models
The areas are spread around the country
The mobile signals go from good to non-existant.
If it were a data issue, one might put it down to being on different servers
Is there a chance that some sms lines are down or disrupted?

tried mine from my iPad just now car was asleep. Woke within 10 seconds