Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't wake from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I raised a service request and had this reply from Tesla:

"
Hi. Remote diagnosis has been conducted into your concern. Our engineering team are actively investigating the root cause of why vehicles are not waking via the app with a view to a fix being known and rectified as soon as possible. Your case has been logged accordingly therefore a physical appointment is not currently required. We will close this off and keep the case open until the concern is resolved. Thank you, Tesla Service.
"
So at least we know they are aware. Do threy know about the Spanish connection though?

The problem has been scaled up to Tesla Spain by TOC-ES, so they are aware of it. They have been informed of all the details we found out: that it affects Movistar SIMs but not KPN's; and also that in UK it seems to affect cars with SIMs from Telefónica-owned O2.

"
Hi. Remote diagnosis has been conducted into your concern. Our engineering team are actively investigating the root cause of why vehicles are not waking via the app with a view to a fix being known and rectified as soon as possible. Your case has been logged accordingly therefore a physical appointment is not currently required. We will close this off and keep the case open until the concern is resolved. Thank you, Tesla Service.
"
So at least we know they are aware. Do threy know about the Spanish connection though?

At least they are acknowledging there is an issue now rather than stupid work arounds. You would hope they might know it is an issue with Spanish connections if the community has managed to work that out.

2020.36.11 downloading ...hopefully with a fix but not holding my breath.
It doesn't, it has been out a while now. I'm not so sure it is going to be an actual update that fixes it.

"
"

I've just had a text from Tesla service asking the usual obvious questions about the issue that indicate they don't have a clue about any of the above! I replied and included an additional comment about the "word on the street" being that it's related to data SIM communications ... just to point them in the right direction!

I've just had a text from Tesla service asking the usual obvious questions about the issue that indicate they don't have a clue about any of the above! I replied and included an additional comment about the "word on the street" being that it's related to data SIM communications ... just to point them in the right direction!
Honestly this is my biggest pet peeve. How hard is it to make staff aware there is a problem and they are investigating. It also shouldn't have needed 100's if not thousands of owners to raise a service appointment for them to figure out this is actually a bigger issue. I had a similar issue many years ago with virgin media, long story short there was only two customers down my road that had the issue, so it wasn't registered as an outage as not enough people were reporting it, they kept sending people out to look at the issue and they said it's a problem in the cab (and I figured out what the actual issue was), despite telling them this went on for months until we eventually left them.

Happening to me since 2020.36.10 and my M3’s net traffic routes through Spain. I can wake it from phone app by unlocking with the padlock icon, enough time for the wing mirrors to fully fold out and then lock again. Hopefully they can fix soon. It could very well be a DNS record issue, as someone previously mentioned, which should be a relatively quick and easy fix.

Regarding the traffic being routed through other countries, this doesn’t sit right with me anyway. Not so long ago I couldn’t get some UK radio stations via Tunein due to this. Why can’t UK customers have a UK IP address?

Happening to me since 2020.36.10 and my M3’s net traffic routes through Spain. I can wake it from phone app by unlocking with the padlock icon, enough time for the wing mirrors to fully fold out and then lock again. Hopefully they can fix soon. It could very well be a DNS record issue, as someone previously mentioned, which should be a relatively quick and easy fix.

Regarding the traffic being routed through other countries, this doesn’t sit right with me anyway. Not so long ago I couldn’t get some UK radio stations via Tunein due to this. Why can’t UK customers have a UK IP address?
You will be asking for it to refer to the 'boot' next, do the satnav in Miles with meters and have a European spec wifi card.
I'm just happy the steering wheel is on the correct side.
Burn the heretic

Tesla confirmed to me today that the issue IS with a specific Service Provider who have changed the encoding of their SMS messages, and so now the car doesn't recognise them. They can't or don't want to change the car software to correct this and right now are demanding the Service Provider provides the fix. They have no time commitment for that though.

From a reply on Facebook..

Had a phone call from Tesla Service (a Maidenhead number) this morning after raising a service request on the app last night. Guy was aware that the problem was widespread and had me open the app whilst on the phone with him. He then asked me to walk up to the car and open the door while he monitored the connection, seems like he was having trouble in waking the car up in order to run his remote diagnostics 'till I woke the car up by pulling on the door handle.

At least some of the Tesla staff are clued up and probably read the forums too!

Something weird is going on, as my car woke up at 20:00, and is still awake. I've not been near it, or made any attempt to wake it, so somehow it seems that either the car has randomly decided to wake up, all by itself, or Tesla have somehow managed to get it to wake up. It's now connected to WiFi, and there's some traffic, but I don't have Wireshark installed on this Macbook, and can't access my desktop PC as it's busy doing a backup at the moment, so I can't see where the traffic is going. I suspect that Tesla have somehow managed to wake the car up and maybe pulling logs from it.

Maybe the car wakes up every 24h just to check-in with the Mothership?

It does seem to, in the past there was a pattern where it would wake up at about 00:15 each night, for about ten to fifteen minutes, then go back to sleep. This pattern changed last Wednesday, and the car has been waking up by itself for long periods of time. It was awake for a couple of hours early this morning, and now it's woken up again for an hour and 22 minutes. It's back asleep now, and won't wake up from the app, same as it's been since last Wednesday night.