Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't wake from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does seem to, in the past there was a pattern where it would wake up at about 00:15 each night, for about ten to fifteen minutes, then go back to sleep. This pattern changed last Wednesday, and the car has been waking up by itself for long periods of time. It was awake for a couple of hours early this morning, and now it's woken up again for an hour and 22 minutes. It's back asleep now, and won't wake up from the app, same as it's been since last Wednesday night.
Replace "car" with "dear child", and I think I've seen your post on Mumsnet before...

Just has a call from the Bristol SC. They are aware that there seems to be a problem with cars that have the Telefonica/Movistar eSIM, and are gathering evidence to try and determine what the issue is. I mentioned that others were having the same problem and was told that my car was the 25th that Bristol SC knew of with this problem.

I was asked to let all Model 3 owners know that Tesla would appreciate a service request from anyone that has this problem, with these key items of information:

1. Does the car refuse to wake up from the app when it's asleep?

2. Does the app work OK if the car is woken up by unlocking it?

3. Do you know if the car has the Telefonica/Movistar eSIM?

If anyone that hasn't yet submitted a service request, and that has this problem, could do so, then that would help Tesla try to resolve it.

I was also told that the fix isn't likely to be very quick, as at the moment Tesla don't know what's caused it, they are still gathering evidence (hence the request above). I got the impression that we're probably talking weeks (in Elon time) before the app will work again for those of us with this eSIM fitted. In theory, it should be possible to change the eSIM via an OTA update, I think, but I'm not sure if that's the case or not (I had thought that was one of the plus points for having an eSIM?).

That would be very helpful.

I know more information has come to light but I asked yesterday as I said I would.

Tech said he was aware of it and has had numerous people mention it but mainly seems to affect M3. Said he would see what else he could find and I just got this text:

Hi . Just to let you know the firmware issue regarding the car not waking from your app has already been escalated to America and is been looked at. Regards Dan

I've just had a call from Tesla asking me to wake up my car as they can't do it ... not surprisingly. I had given them a "time stamp" for an instance of not being able to wake the car (as requested by them) and they are now downloading the relevant logs. The caller seemed relatively relaxed about the whole thing and was under the impression that it would be sorted "quite quickly" ... however ... I didn't get a strong feeling that he was particularly clued up on the issue at this stage!

Just has a call from the Bristol SC. They are aware that there seems to be a problem with cars that have the Telefonica/Movistar eSIM, and are gathering evidence to try and determine what the issue is. I mentioned that others were having the same problem and was told that my car was the 25th that Bristol SC knew of with this problem.

I was asked to let all Model 3 owners know that Tesla would appreciate a service request from anyone that has this problem, with these key items of information:

If anyone that hasn't yet submitted a service request, and that has this problem, could do so, then that would help Tesla try to resolve it.

I was also told that the fix isn't likely to be very quick, as at the moment Tesla don't know what's caused it, they are still gathering evidence (hence the request above). I got the impression that we're probably talking weeks (in Elon time) before the app will work again for those of us with this eSIM fitted. In theory, it should be possible to change the eSIM via an OTA update, I think, but I'm not sure if that's the case or not (I had thought that was one of the plus points for having an eSIM?).
Done.

Just updated my service request with this info. I'm on Moviestar...

20200923_123249.jpg

I've raised a service request for Friday. Will report back if there's any news.
I've just had my service appointment cancelled with the following text message....

Hi,
The issues you have reported is a glitch within software currently. Over the next few days you will received an update and app access will be restored. We will cancel your booking as this is not required.
Many thanks
Tesla

We'll see how long a few days really is!

I've just had my service appointment cancelled with the following text message....

Hi,
The issues you have reported is a glitch within software currently. Over the next few days you will received an update and app access will be restored. We will cancel your booking as this is not required.
Many thanks
Tesla

We'll see how long a few days really is!
Quite a while if its Elon Time. How long is a Martian day anyway?

• Funny
Reactions: Drew57

Done

If it is indeed the SIM, it begs the question how it ever worked at all for you given your non-existent mobile coverage.

Last edited:
If it is indeed the SIM, it begs the question how it ever worked at all for you given your non-existent mobile coverage.

The thought has been going around in my head for the past day or two, and I asked the lady at the Bristol SC when she rang this morning, but she didn't know. Maybe it's like my wife's phone, as that sends and receives SMS texts via WiFi (mine doesn't, same phone, different provider).

Whether a provider allows SMS over WiFi seems to be really hard information to pin down. I know my iPhone can do it, as it's identical to my wife's phone, so I spent an hour or so yesterday trying to find which contracts included SMS over WiFi and which don't. The providers seem remarkably reluctant to make this information readily available, for some reason. I may just switch to O2, as we know that some of their contracts provide it here. The only two providers worth using locally are O2 or Vodafone, anyway, as they seem to have the best local coverage by a long way. I used to be with EE until we moved here, but EE's coverage around here was really poor, hence the switch to Vodafone.