Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cash Payment Options . . . how do you ensure quality at delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We intend to pay cash for our vehicle - we have some cash sitting around making no money so we're gonna pay ourselves the interest back.

Our question is what payment methods does Tesla accept at Delivery? We intend to bring a cashiers check for $xxx and cover the rest via credit card.

We don't buy things like paint protection or service contracts [how hard is it to rotate tires, install wiper blades, key batteries and cabin air filters? Even the battery drying packs are simple] so the only 'options' will be a couple of J1772 adapters since we already have a 240v charger at home and work.

Will Tesla accept a bank cashiers check at delivery? Or do they want a wire?

I do NOT want to do a wire since that gives them the money before we have accepted the vehicle. While the contracts bind us to purchase a vehicle, what if it lacks the correct options, has paint scratches, undercarriage damage or other pre-delivery BS? i have sat in a dealership prior to delivery and forced a discount [which Tesla apparently will not do] or otherwise addressed pre-delivery condition issues prior to turning over payment. . . .

Who has bought one for cash and what payment options do they expect?

We intend to pay cash for our vehicle - we have some cash sitting around making no money so we're gonna pay ourselves the interest back.

Our question is what payment methods does Tesla accept at Delivery? We intend to bring a cashiers check for $xxx and cover the rest via credit card.

We don't buy things like paint protection or service contracts [how hard is it to rotate tires, install wiper blades, key batteries and cabin air filters? Even the battery drying packs are simple] so the only 'options' will be a couple of J1772 adapters since we already have a 240v charger at home and work.

I do NOT want to do a wire since that gives them the money before we have accepted the vehicle. While the contracts bind us to purchase a vehicle, what if it lacks the correct options, has paint scratches, undercarriage damage or other pre-delivery BS? i have sat in a dealership prior to delivery and forced a discount [which Tesla apparently will not do] or otherwise addressed pre-delivery condition issues prior to turning over payment. . . .

What are these 'battery drying packs' you've mentioned in 2 different threads? Nobody can figure out what you're talking about.

As for payment, I gave them a cashier's check. A certified personal check is fine too. I don't think they like credit cards for large amounts.

Just picked up my car last week. The 2 options for paying is ACH or Cashiers Check. They will not take CC for anything more than the deposit and they will not take a personal check.

Hope that helps

checks work fine, credits cards are problematic, I have never seen or heard of car dealers accepting them for payment, that 3+% they pay to the credit card issuers eats too hard into the profits.

Used my personal check fine, it explicitly says no credit cards on my payment instructions. And, of course they want you to use ACH, they get the money quicker!

Some folks have reported issues with not paying in advance by several days. I gave them the personal check (just over $10K USD) at delivery, no issue.

I was prepared to pay with a personal or cashier's check for mine, but the 1.49% interest rate on my loan is less than what my money is earning anyway, so I kept it invested. I paid for my S by handing them the business check from my lender.

This would be my preferred way to pay, but we're buying CPO, so not advisable right?

It depends on what you expect.

If you expect that you will reject the delivery, then if you bring your check, you can walk away with your check. On the other hand, if you pre-pay, you can still walk away but it would take longer to get your refund.

It's possible that Tesla would check on personal credit status and say yes or no to personal checks.

You just need to call to make sure what forms of payment is acceptable.

Sorry, why not? You owe $xxxx, you have that amount in MyTesla, you transfer. Doesn't it work the same way as a custom order?
Because I haven't seen or driven my CPO yet, if I were paying by cashier's check, I could always walk away if things were not to my liking. What leverage do I have on delivery day, if any, if I've already pre-paid on MyTesla via ACH?

I took delivery on 9/29. Personal check was fine. No credit cards. I brought my proof of insurance and my DS finalized the paperwork while I got my tour of the car. Then paperwork was signed and I was on my way.

Because I haven't seen or driven my CPO yet, if I were paying by cashier's check, I could always walk away if things were not to my liking. What leverage do I have on delivery day, if any, if I've already pre-paid on MyTesla via ACH?

You do not lose any leverage if you've used ACH. You still have to sign for delivery of the vehicle. You can delay or refuse delivery of the vehicle if you find unacceptable defects at any time up to signing the paperwork. The only thing at risk is your original deposit if you chose not to follow through in the end with the purchase.

Last edited:
My express concern is I show up and I owe $88k. I certainly do not want to wire them $88k unless i'm satisfied the correct options are installed and that everything works properly - and the vehicle charges etc.

I expect an hour of picking through the options and features and making sure they work, and that the paint is in pristine condition, as is the underside of the vehicle, nothing squeaks or rattles on a test drive, bluetooth syncs, music plays, maps display, EAP works, doors open - etc. Lets say I'm standing there and EAP does not work properly. They have $88k of my money if I wire - who cares if they fix it or not. I don't wan to be in a situation where I"m forced to take delivery and then deal with production defects as warranty items.

I want to charge $10,000 to get the airline miles and bonus miles for the quarter - then bring them a bank cashiers check for the balance. It's the only leverage I'll ever have. . . plus I loose warranty coverage for the time the car is being finally assembly under warranty . . .

You still have to pay before you drive the car off the lot. Even if there is a 7 business day window to clear the check, you still have to pay for the car. If you bring a personal check and the car isn't to your satisfaction, then I would refuse delivery until they get it right since you are paying cash. The urgency of the selling the car is on Tesla and not you since you don't have to worry about your loan expiring.

Btw, it's very rere for a car dealership to accept credit cards since there is a 3% credit card fee plus transactions.

You do not lose any leverage if you've used ACH. You still have to sign for delivery of the vehicle. You can delay or refuse delivery of the vehicle if you find unacceptable defects at any time up to signing the paperwork.
I understand what you say as true in principle. But "unacceptable defect" is in the eye of the beholder, and as just suggested upthread, if they already have my ACH in hand, isn't Tesla more likely to tell me to pound sand on flaws where acceptability is more debatable (than if I'm still holding a check)?