Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Categories of most screwed Tesla owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're just looking @ price alone buying a LeMR the day it was announced in 10/18 is still the best price if you qualify for the full fed credit @ 37500

$39150 is what it would be now. Although if you live in a high sales tax state its starting to be close.

Last edited:
There’s also the people that purchased RWD because there wasn’t enough added benefit to pay $5,000 more for AWD, and then six months later they decreased the 0-60 for the AWD by one second. Doh, why didn’t I get AWD. Obviously my regrets are all in my head. When I’m behind the wheel I don’t have any regrets...unless it’s snowing.

You regret getting the LR RWD? When I bought my car AWD was only $4k more, but I didn't even consider it. The LR RWD has the longest real world range of any M3, has excellent acceleration, and is fine in snow with a set of winter tires (which I would have needed even if I did get AWD, since AWD doesn't help the car stop in snow).

[ TEG mod edit: He was talking about Model S not model 3. Model S AWDs got an "uncorking" but not Model S RWD. No such "uncorcking" has happened with Model 3 (yet). It would be similar for us if Tesla someday makes all AWD Model 3s do 0-60 1s quicker, then us LR-RWDs would feel left out. ]

These things depreciate faster than throwing money into the fireplace.

While I know that was kinda a joke, actually Tesla's hold their money more than most.. and cars generally suck as an investment.. I'm totally happy with mine, what it cost and all.. The more EVs I see on the road, the happier I am and Tesla's even better (as a tiny little stockholder ...)

I wish I could say I feel sorry for owners who choose to look back on their buying decision and look for negatives and even make lists of things like this.

I have zero regrets. I'm a proud owner of a near 6 digit Limited Edition Short Range Model X Dual Motor! Comes with cloth seats, solid white paint and yellowing MCU 1.

My point is if you look at things analytically and objectively, Tesla owners have never had it better.

You will notice that when it comes to "magnitude" of pricing impacts, Model 3 on the bottom of the list.

People will tend to tunnel vision at the immediate scenario versus evaluating the entire picture as a whole. Even I was educated on things I didn't know. I thought AP 1-> 2 was the biggest change but zero AP -> AP1 of course is so much more obvious.

Despite all the innovations, Tesla still hasn't caught up to a car that was made in the 1980's.

chart-kitt-v-tesla_grande.png

3P- with $5,000 back is a monster deal compared to an AWD buyer in 2018. Are you counting the FTC being $3,750 less?

Actually, I think AWD buyers might slip into #8 or #9 because many I bet would have gone up to 3P- if they knew a 5K rebate was coming. FUSC was a wash because they weren't getting it as AWD anyway.

Yeah, List price on my P3D- was $71,000, after tax credit and $5k refund I'm looking at $58.5k for a brand new car that does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. You can remove P3D- owners from that list as far as I'm concerned.

Every single person except for the early AP2 buyers got what they paid for.
Even after the class action settlement? where we got a couple hundred bucks or so? For nearly 2yrs of inoperabiliry? I forget the exact amount now. You mean that didn't make it right? Meah - We sucked it up.
;)
We sucked it up with ½ shaft shudder too ... same with our ghosting windshield - because despite all that & more, we bought for the look & ease of the UI - but when V9 came along, & the SC refused to allow/perform a rollback ..... that was the straw (monochrome look difficult for partly color-blind spouse) that broke the camel's back .... still, glad others were able to deal with it.

Last edited:
Every single person except for the early AP2 buyers got what they paid for.

I was an unintentional AP2 buyer (ordered in september 2016 w AP1, notified in october that I was upgraded to AP2) ordered a plain model 60 with white exterior, a week after i got mine they canceled the model 60 AND the white exterior (only pearl avaialable) so I got a model S for the price of a model three and didnt have to wait a year for the 3....not sure why you would say that, in my view that was "peak tesla"

As a P3D+ owner who bought in August...I'm still happy

I bought a fully loaded (midnight silver, white interior, EAP, FSD, perf package) P3D+ back in august for $80,500. Since then I have gotten a $5000 refund check and a $7500 federal rebate. So it cost me $68,000. Now that same car costs $71400 (if you add off menu FSD) and has a $3750 rebate, so $67650. So the net price loss is $350 + $700 (the tax/registration difference I paid on 80.5k vs 71.4k).

I also get premium internet for my ownership of the car which is probably worth $500 to $1000 depending on how long I keep it.

Net value wise I've barely lost anything, and even then that's just due to the high sales tax in california on the base price difference. And I got to drive the car for an additional 5 months (plus I got my $7500 Feb 2019 instead of $3750 in Feb 2020)

Even if it was 8 cents a kw. How much premium are you paying between the hours of 8am and 10pm in order to get a discounted price for cheaper night time electricity?

Subtracting the car charging cost the electricity bill to run the same house has gone up significantly before converting to the TOU plan.
I have been on the TOU-D-B plan since it came out, well before we had an EV simply because it was cheaper for us, we do not have solar and our house typically runs 2,500 kWh monthly.

I have the most efficient L.E.D lights everywhere, the pool pump is a variable speed type as well as the A/C compressor and we had the A/C zoned, windows and doors are newer and sealed properly, and I just can't understand why we use so much juice when I run around like the Gieco commercial Dad telling everyone "Turn those lights off, we don't have stock in the electric company!" "Close the door, what are we trying to air condition the whole neighborhood?" and of course "Defense wins championships" " Well it does!"

Last edited:
I was an unintentional AP2 buyer (ordered in september 2016 w AP1, notified in october that I was upgraded to AP2) ordered a plain model 60 with white exterior, a week after i got mine they canceled the model 60 AND the white exterior (only pearl avaialable) so I got a model S for the price of a model three and didnt have to wait a year for the 3....not sure why you would say that, in my view that was "peak tesla"

As a perk, you can add transferable unlimited free supercharging car that is upgradable to HW3. Also unlimited LTE.

Though as far as "peak Tesla". same Model S was over 1 second faster in 2017.

Look at your MVPA, and see out the door what you would get today.. Software locked 100D battery, MCU2, PUP package standard and quicker.

It's normal.. "best deals" are very temporary with Tesla. You just have to be happy with what you drove home.

I own two Model 3's. In both cases I got what I contracted for at the price I contracted for it. If someone gets a better deal, more power to them. Going along on the theme of the original post, it is way off. I have a friend who was hit by what should be numbers one and two.

1) Friend received his Model S 85 without AP1 the same day other colors were being delivered with AP1. He got what he ordered but the others got AP1 for free.
2) His wife decided she need a Tesla. She got an S60. The same dayshe picked up her S60, it was dropped from online and replaced by the S75.

My fried loves his Teslas but says he has the worst Tesla luck of anyone.

In my province they cancelled the 14k rebate, and AWD wasn't on the list of eligible cars at the time (though would have been added if the program wasn't axed)....initially they cut off even LR RWD model 3 from the rebate so I ordered AWD instead since I wasn't going to get a rebate either way.

Fast forward to 2 lawsuits by tesla later (good on them), and anyone on Ontario who ordered and/or canceled their order for an RWD and took delivery by Jan 1 will get the 14k rebate.....

So that means my AWD came at a ~20k 'premium' vs if I could have predicted the future and gone with an RWD instead.

I still love the car, and this wasn't Tesla's fault but my crappy government's. o_O

I have zero regrets. I'm a proud owner of a near 6 digit Limited Edition Short Range Model X Dual Motor! Comes with cloth seats, solid white paint and yellowing MCU 1.

My point is if you look at things analytically and objectively, Tesla owners have never had it better.

You will notice that when it comes to "magnitude" of pricing impacts, Model 3 on the bottom of the list.

People will tend to tunnel vision at the immediate scenario versus evaluating the entire picture as a whole. Even I was educated on things I didn't know. I thought AP 1-> 2 was the biggest change but zero AP -> AP1 of course is so much more obvious.

Despite all the innovations, Tesla still hasn't caught up to a car that was made in the 1980's.

chart-kitt-v-tesla_grande.png

Heat vision on Model S ? Really :)

how much did you pay for your model S?

Reactions: Pkmmte
Keep in mind that those received free supercharging for 6-9 months. Whether that is worth $1100, that’s a separate question. But I wouldn’t call it screwed.

We took delivery January 20th or so last year. We have not received any complimentary Supercharging with our Model 3. They have all been paid sessions. Not complaining for about $35.00 worth of juice, but they have all been charged.

Not here to argue, but how do you know this? We received no email, no loot box notification, nothing from Tesla.

In light of today's price drop, I'd thought I'd post the new updated rankings for "most screwed". Feel free to debate and I'll update my list if good cases are made.

1 - Those who took delivery of S/X AP1 cars right before AP2 release.
2 - Model S P85 owners that bought cars that were far less powerful than advertised.
3 - Model S/X owners who bought 90D/P100D and took free supercharging with the knowledge 100D wasn't going to get it. Guess what, 100D did get it.
4 - Those who leased AP2 cars at introduction.
5 - Model S P85 owners who missed the window for ludicrious upgrade.
6 - Model S/X 60D owners who unlocked their batteries too early.
7 - Model 3P- owners who could have gotten free Performance upgrade package.
8 - Model 3P+ owners with white seats and keeping FUSC.
9 - Model 3 owners who took delivery between Jan 1st, 2019 and February 4th, 2019.

This list has helped me figure who has the fastest, cheapest, bestest Tesla.

My neighbor.

Tagging @AnxietyRanger who also maintains lists and might be amused. ;)

How can you possibly be screwed?

If my Car is 5K cheaper right now....then my monthly payment would move down $15 per month. Really?

I can't put a price on how much I've enjoyed my P3D+ in the past 7 months. Watching the car progress through updates and such.... has been invaluable. The conversations with hundreds of people about the car as well as the fact that I now have over 20k miles on it and haven't had to buy gas AND I haven't even had to pay for the electricity as I have FUSC.
I haven't polluted the air - as I've been doing my part to save the environment.

When you guys get older you will find out that there is no price for enjoyment. You can't put that on a spreadsheet.

What I would like for you to do is to put a price on what I've listed - then we can have a conversation about being screwed.

Hello ! This is NOT a price decrease.

This is simply shifting the referral money directly applying against the price of the car.

Thats the way I look at it

That's true, but why doesn't Tesla just take that margin instead of lowering everyone's car value? Bring out the standard range M3 if they want a cheaper M3.

We took delivery January 20th or so last year. We have not received any complimentary Supercharging with our Model 3. They have all been paid sessions. Not complaining for about $35.00 worth of juice, but they have all been charged.

Not here to argue, but how do you know this? We received no email, no loot box notification, nothing from Tesla.

Sorry, I was replying regarding those who purchased between "Jan 1st, 2019 and February 4th, 2019" as was indicated by the OP. If you purchased a year ago, your car probably didn't qualify for the referral program at that time. I don't remember exactly when the referral program became available to all Model 3 purchases.