Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Categories of most screwed Tesla owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We pay 8 cents in Oklahoma. Here is a list of all rates by state
Annual Electricity Price Comparison by State
Those are simply base rates. Here in our area of California, if you run a tv, couple light bulbs & a refrigerator, you finish the base rate right off - real quick (much less the typical draw of cable boxes, AC, modem, Wi-Fi, hubs, repeaters, computers, 2 plugins) .... after that it goes up & up - to 40¢/kWh. That's why the utility hates us solar users who - when we over generate - go into tier 3 credits, & they have to pay us that much. Boom shakalaka

Last edited:
As an AWD owner I envy P3D- owners... I didn't want the 18" aero's or the extra cost of the P at the time but would gladly pay it now that the AWD acceleration feels 'meh' to me... especially if I knew I'd get 5k back a few months later! You all got a steal if there is such a thing with buying a new luxury car.

Reactions: Pkmmte
As an AWD owner I envy P3D- owners... I didn't want the 18" aero's or the extra cost of the P at the time but would gladly pay it now that the AWD acceleration feels 'meh' to me... especially if I knew I'd get 5k back a few months later! You all got a steal if there is such a thing with buying a new luxury car.
Don’t try heroin.

• Funny
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
You could add to your list.
Chinese people who bought model 3 AP for $5000. Now have it thrown in for free!
I think those people are getting refunded, and I dont believe they made any deliveries before announcing the inclusion....so you can add to a different list of people 'least screwed' by Tesla being those in China who didn't order EAP, and are now getting it for free :)

I think those people are getting refunded, and I dont believe they made any deliveries before announcing the inclusion....so you can add to a different list of people 'least screwed' by Tesla being those in China who didn't order EAP, and are now getting it for free :)

Did Model S and X owners have to pay for AP the whole time and even now while it is free on the 3?

That's an interesting price discrimination strategy.

In light of today's price drop, I'd thought I'd post the new updated rankings for "most screwed". Feel free to debate and I'll update my list if good cases are made.

1 - Those who took delivery of S/X AP1 cars right before AP2 release.
2 - Model S P85 owners that bought cars that were far less powerful than advertised.
3 - Model S/X owners who bought 90D/P100D and took free supercharging with the knowledge 100D wasn't going to get it. Guess what, 100D did get it.
4 - Those who leased AP2 cars at introduction.
5 - Model S P85 owners who missed the window for ludicrious upgrade.
6 - Model S/X 60D owners who unlocked their batteries too early.
7 - Model 3P- owners who could have gotten free Performance upgrade package.
8 - Model 3P+ owners with white seats and keeping FUSC.
9 - Model 3 owners who took delivery between Jan 1st, 2019 and February 4th, 2019.

This list has helped me figure who has the fastest, cheapest, bestest Tesla.

My neighbor.

Tagging @AnxietyRanger who also maintains lists and might be amused. ;)

There never was a ludicrous option for the P85. I should know - I own one and have many friends who also own P85s.

This does make me sad that I changed my P3D- order to AWD because I did not think it was worth the money. I was on the fence, $5,000 less and I would not have thought about it.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
I'm the same. I came so close to the Performance model and would love both the acceleration and Brembo brakes. The 20" rims not so much.
I confirmed my order as P3D- when ordering opened up to the public but before it was announced. At the time nobody knew what brakes or wheels came with it and I was trying to find out what the configuration was. Then the $5,000 wheel/tire upgrade info was released. Then they added the brakes to the list and that's when I changed it as too many variables were in play and I wanted 18" wheels due to Ohio potholes. I had thought upgraded brakes and rotors were included with P3D- until that point and was not happy about only getting a software change $11,000. I do not feel ripped off with my current purchase - I just would have paid $6k for a tad more tire destruction.

So they dropped the Performance price $5k and gave the previous buyers refunds. They have dropped the Non-P AWD $4K over the same period with no refunds. Just seems like a recipe for customer/buyer chagrin.

That's not really accurate.

First- the didn't drop the P price 5k- they simply began including the performance upgrade package (a 5k OPTION to the P) for free... and make that package mandatory (you can't order a P without it)

Then for anyone who paid for a P, they offered to refund them 5k.

This all happened last year.

Then THIS year they dropped the price of all model 3s by $2000 on Jan 2, and then another $1100 from all model 3s a couple weeks ago.

That's largely to offset the loss of the tax credit to post-12/31/18 buyers.

So AWD buyers last year still paid less, net price with tax credit, than current new buyers will (or possibly a similar amount depending on the sales/registration tax situation in a given state)

First- the didn't drop the P price 5k- they simply began including the performance upgrade package (a 5k OPTION to the P) for free... and make that package mandatory (you can't order a P without it)

Then THIS year they dropped the price of all model 3s by $2000 on Jan 2, and then another $1100 from all model 3s a couple weeks ago.

So AWD buyers last year still paid less, net price with tax credit, than current new buyers will (or possibly a similar amount depending on the sales/registration tax situation in a given state)
I have lost track of the whens and whys of the reductions. Just noticed my car build rings up at roughly $4k less now. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I also believe that if you opt for the refund on the performance version, you lose free lifetime supercharging (as new cars dont get that), so depending on how much (if) you use supercharging or not the 5k rebate is actually less.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
I also believe that if you opt for the refund on the performance version, you lose free lifetime supercharging (as new cars dont get that), so depending on how much (if) you use supercharging or not the 5k rebate is actually less.

Correct- and the % of folks who'd get 5k out of FUSC- excluding those who time is so worthless they use SCs locally/regularly to avoid home charging costs- is incredibly small.

People who purchased the Model S 60 to 75 battery unlock for $9000 or $7000, before they dropped the upgrade price to $2K, as well as lowered the price of new 75's by $7K. Those folks were out $5-7K with no consideration.

I think there are numerous other examples of way more financial impact than most of this list.