Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Categories of most screwed Tesla owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In light of today's price drop, I'd thought I'd post the new updated rankings for "most screwed". Feel free to debate and I'll update my list if good cases are made.

1 - Those who took delivery of S/X AP1 cars right before AP2 release.
2 - Model S P85 owners that bought cars that were far less powerful than advertised.
3 - Model S/X owners who bought 90D/P100D and took free supercharging with the knowledge 100D wasn't going to get it. Guess what, 100D did get it.
4 - Those who leased AP2 cars at introduction.
5 - Model S P85 owners who missed the window for ludicrious upgrade.
6 - Model S/X 60D owners who unlocked their batteries too early.
7 - Model 3P- owners who could have gotten free Performance upgrade package.
8 - Model 3P+ owners with white seats and keeping FUSC.
9 - Model 3 owners who took delivery between Jan 1st, 2019 and February 4th, 2019.

This list has helped me figure who has the fastest, cheapest, bestest Tesla.

My neighbor.

Tagging @AnxietyRanger who also maintains lists and might be amused. ;)
There’s also the people that purchased RWD because there wasn’t enough added benefit to pay $5,000 more for AWD, and then six months later they decreased the 0-60 for the AWD by one second. Doh, why didn’t I get AWD. Obviously my regrets are all in my head. When I’m behind the wheel I don’t have any regrets...unless it’s snowing.

Interesting that all these changes would be mostly moot if Tesla
- had changes once a year
- labeled them as '2018', '2019', etc
- announced the changes 4-6 weeks before they happened.

Wonder what the cost/benefit is like for Tesla. Benefit being able to price change quickly in response to market demand, incentives, availability of features, overall flexibility etc. With the costs being mostly customer happiness and/or retention.

Reactions: hill
Interesting that all these changes would be mostly moot if Tesla
- had changes once a year
- labeled them as '2018', '2019', etc
- announced the changes 4-6 weeks before they happened.

Wonder what the cost/benefit is like for Tesla. Benefit being able to price change quickly in response to market demand, incentives, availability of features, overall flexibility etc. With the costs being mostly customer happiness and/or retention.

90% of Tesla owners, probably more, have never been to this or any other Tesla forum and won't even know about this price change unless they see it published in the media.

In light of today's price drop, I'd thought I'd post the new updated rankings for "most screwed". Feel free to debate and I'll update my list if good cases are made.

2 - Model S P85 owners that bought cars that were far less powerful than advertised.
3 - Model S/X owners who bought 90D/P100D and took free supercharging with the knowledge 100D wasn't going to get it. Guess what, 100D did get it.
9 - Model 3 owners who took delivery between Jan 1st, 2019 and February 4th, 2019.

My neighbor.

#2 and #5 are P85D, not P85. And you missed a group of folks who bought new Teslas in Sept 2014 and JUST missed AP1. In the long run, that was a huge upgrade to miss out on by a month. Moreso than the AP1 to AP2 upgrade.

I still love my P3D-

I've made it stand out from Model 3's in general. You can't tell it's a P at all by looking at it. If you test me by revving your Honda, you'll find out, but other than that.....I'm Stealth. And I'm not worried about anything else involved. As others have pointed out, I got what I paid for, and I'm receiving the amount of satisfaction I expected from the product.

3P- with $5,000 back is a monster deal compared to an AWD buyer in 2018. Are you counting the FTC being $3,750 less?

Actually, I think AWD buyers might slip into #8 or #9 because many I bet would have gone up to 3P- if they knew a 5K rebate was coming. FUSC was a wash because they weren't getting it as AWD anyway.
Hook line and sinker if you thought you thought the ftc was not built into the price. I for one didn't. Now I expect another $3500 drop over the year. I think this might actually hurt Tesla sales since it's very clear that the price will continue to drop faster than you can even pay the car off.

The people the model 3 was designed to be sold to are not people that will be happy with a monthly 1k price drop.

Buyer's remorse is a real thing and this ain't helping :p
If you qualify, factoring in the $7,500 federal tax credit is a real savings.

LR RWD here. I like the snow performance of having a D and the faster acceleration but a true drivers car is RWD ;). Plus LR RWD is most efficient!

Most screwed is all of us for buying any new Tesla model. They are expensive to buy and depreciation is as bad as any other luxury car. Read that BS articale lol. 2013 P85 was $100k. 2018 just sold ours for $33,500. First owner got raped. 2nd owner (myself) not so much. I expect to get raped on the LR RWD but I am going to enjoy it for 8-10 years and hopefully get to used some FSD features (i know wishful thinking).

A used p85 without AP is one of the fastest and cheapest Teslas!

Reactions: GSP and MXWing
Buyer's remorse is a real thing and this ain't helping :p
If you qualify, factoring in the $7,500 federal tax credit is a real savings.

LR RWD here. I like the snow performance of having a D and the faster acceleration but a true drivers car is RWD ;). Plus LR RWD is most efficient!

Most screwed is all of us for buying any new Tesla model. They are expensive to buy and depreciation is as bad as any other luxury car. Read that BS articale lol. 2013 P85 was $100k. 2018 just sold ours for $33,500. First owner got raped. 2nd owner (myself) not so much. I expect to get raped on the LR RWD but I am going to enjoy it for 8-10 years and hopefully get to used some FSD features (i know wishful thinking).

A used p85 without AP is one of the fastest and cheapest Teslas!
That applies to any new car.

Reactions: Olle
I always charge at home except for road trips but where in SoCal can one get this 8 cent price?, I pay either 12 or 13, inquiring minds want to know.

Even if it was 8 cents a kw. How much premium are you paying between the hours of 8am and 10pm in order to get a discounted price for cheaper night time electricity?

Subtracting the car charging cost the electricity bill to run the same house has gone up significantly before converting to the TOU plan.

I wish I could say I feel sorry for owners who choose to look back on their buying decision and look for negatives and even make lists of things like this. Do you guys do this with everything in your life? Seems to be a number of people who choose to focus on the glass-half-empty look at life and like to post here about it. Sure, timing is everything in life but souring over decision moments gets you nothing but unhappiness. I’m certainly no Pollyanna but can’t imagine this is therapeudic for anyone. Maybe spending more comparative time in an ICE vehicle will make you feel better.

Last edited:

My neighbor.

I don't give a F***. I stood in line in Az and got my Model 3 before anyone other than California. I've been in technology heaven since and got to drive it while most were dreaming of it. It was the same for the Model S early birds, I'm sure.

Too many counter remarks to list, so just focusing my early fun and knowledge out of this experience which even helps me investment $TSLA as most informed.

FYI, there is water in your glass too.