Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was with a Tesla CCS adapter imported from Korea. I’m from the Tulsa area, if you look around on PlugShare in that area you can see entries for his testing.
Wow, you guys have more DCFC in a block thane we have in our whole state! Cool! Thanks, it's comforting to know that I'll probably be able to use at least some of the stations between here and civilization...
The two common problems I have heard from CCS users with any of the CCS cabinerts are the plug weight is so heavy and stiff that it pulls down and doesn't make good connection to the car's communications connections. I saw somebody used a telescoping stick to support it when plugged in.
The other problem is users will see the number next to the cable on EA cabinet and select that in the app. The correct number is the last digits on the number at the top of the cabinet.

My limited experience so far is that it took me about 5 minutes to begin charging doing everything right and the connection to the car was solid.

Preconditioning would only allow a higher peak charging at the beginning and higher charge rate for the first few minutes and shouldn't affect the activation of the DC charging.

On your car's side of the problem, I hope you did verify your Tesla has CCS adapter enabled. If you said that I missed it.
Yeah, ccs is enabled.

Reactions: lynyrdM
I am trying to find out if Tesla got any of the charger install rebates on their supercharger stations. Under current rules, they don't qualify as they don't have CCS and/or CHAdeMO on them, though Tesla has said they plan to add that. In the past, was it possible to get the rebate without it?

Anyway, if the EA and other stations got $60,000 rebates for install, of course they can underprice Tesla, even with Tesla selling at break even, and Tesla being much cheaper at building stations than the others.

And no wonder Tesla will be happy to add CCS cords (and CdM in California) if they can get $60K rebates on each station!
Keep us posted on this, please.

He never mentioned the fact that it might take up to 5 minutes to make connection to CCS but the Tesla never takes more than 5 seconds.
FWIW, a Tesla on a CCS connection to EA only takes ~15s to start charging in my experience. That implies the delays are implemention issues in the cars, mostly, and not inherent in the protocol[*].

[*] Insert long irrelevant digression on the architecture of plug&pay and a rant that EA should hide the latency via speculative enablement and bloom filters here.

Not in the us. Even recent sales are at worst 70% or so, but total number of cars on the road is likely over 80% Tesla.

And I'll guess an even higher percentage of DC charging cars since Tesla has a huge advantage over the CCS world in general when it comes to 400+ mile trips.

EA recently published kWh delivered in 2021. Has Tesla done the same for Superchargers ?

Reactions: jsight
And I'll guess an even higher percentage of DC charging cars since Tesla has a huge advantage over the CCS world in general when it comes to 400+ mile trips.

EA recently published kWh delivered in 2021. Has Tesla done the same for Superchargers ?
I think so too, but if I say that on reddit everyone tells me how many people road trip their Leaf/Bolt/early-model-Kona. 🤷‍♂️

The two common problems I have heard from CCS users with any of the CCS cabinerts are the plug weight is so heavy and stiff that it pulls down and doesn't make good connection to the car's communications connections. I saw somebody used a telescoping stick to support it when plugged in.
The other problem is users will see the number next to the cable on EA cabinet and select that in the app. The correct number is the last digits on the number at the top of the cabinet.

My limited experience so far is that it took me about 5 minutes to begin charging doing everything right and the connection to the car was solid.

Preconditioning would only allow a higher peak charging at the beginning and higher charge rate for the first few minutes and shouldn't affect the activation of the DC charging.

On your car's side of the problem, I hope you did verify your Tesla has CCS adapter enabled. If you said that I missed it.
Watching Kyle Connor on YouTube of his Cannonball run in a Porsche Taycan helped me with the EA charger numbers at each location.

Last edited:
Reactions: TravelFree
Those that ordered directly from Harumio, how long did it take to get a shipped email?
I forget, but it took 12 days from initial inquiry to Harumio to the adapter arriving on my doorstep. Now that you can order it directly from their website (as opposed to the share password/login dance), it's probably even faster now....especially if they have the adapters in their inventory as opposed to needing to wait for Tesla to ship it to Korea.

Reactions: Jcl007 and Genie
Not everything is an anti-Tesla conspiracy.

CCS seems a pretty good idea at the time because it allows the use existing of Type 1 or Type 2 plug for AC without the need for an adapter.
CCS (both versions 1 and 2) were and still are an awful kludge of large DC pins bolted onto the bottom of what was designed to be an AC only connector. It's a DC charging connector with a way oversized communication connector above it that's larger than the DC connector. They should have taken a hint from Tesla and, if Tesla wouldn't license the TPC on reasonable terms, engineered something better. 4 pins for 3 phase AC charging, with 2 large pins and 2 small pins, where the 2 large pins can double as the DC charging connectors. I believe this will happen eventually, but it will take 1 or 2 more generations of connectors to get there. Until then, we've got CCS and TPC.

Reactions: android04