Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just took a look. Even with three Lightning Bolts selected, I’m seeing a bunch of chargers including a set of Francis 200kW chargers and a FreeWire 120kW Charger in Jenks, OK. They do not show power levels when I click them and they are not on the written list. Navigating to them does not activate preconditioning.

AFAIK, it has to be listed on the charging list to be considered for preconditioning. The "three lightning bolt" filter, as you have it, allows only V2 and V3 Superchargers to be listed. If you select the "two lightning bolt" filter, you'll also get 72 kW Urban Superchargers and some third party DCFCs (e.g., the EVgo sites with the integrated Tesla support.)

The "one lightning bolt" filter shows Destination charging. I doubt any preconditioning other than any normally needed cold battery warming is done when selecting one of them.

In your case, it looks like the nearest EVgos with the integrated Tesla adapter are in Grapevine and Ft Worth TX. If you turn off the "three lightning bolt" filter, and turn on the "two lightning bolt" filter, you'll probably see them in the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: kayak1
Well, good for you.

If Tesla included the CHAdeMO adapter with every vehicle it was selling, then you might at least have a point.
Irrelevant. Anyone who really needs it should have bought it, irrespective of whether CHAdeMO is likely to die soon or not. It's not like they required a secret promo code that you can only get by a referral from a VIP in order to buy one...

Irrelevant. Anyone who really needs it should have bought it, irrespective of whether CHAdeMO is likely to die soon or not. It's not like they required a secret promo code that you can only get by a referral from a VIP in order to buy one...
Not everyone has the time to be constantly checking to see when the CHAdeMO adapter comes in stock.

Regardless, your argument is based on the pretense that any Tesla vehicle can be counted as a CHAdeMO vehicle because Tesla sold the CHAdeMO adapter.

Of cause, in reality, not every Tesla driver has a CHAdeMO adapter.

Not everyone has the time to be constantly checking to see when the CHAdeMO adapter comes in stock.

Regardless, your argument is based on the pretense that any Tesla vehicle can be counted as a CHAdeMO vehicle because Tesla sold the CHAdeMO adapter.

Of cause, in reality, not every Tesla driver has a CHAdeMO adapter.
It's in stock fairly often. I had to wait ~3 days to purchase mine.

Have you attempted to order something that is temporarily out of stock in the Tesla store like...ever? :rolleyes:

Tesla Shop Out of Stock.jpg

I expect Tesla's CCS1 adapter to go out of stock soon after it goes on sale. I expect that most people who want one but don't get one in the first round of sales will sign up for a notification. And I expect that most people who sign up for notifications will eventually get one.

Have you attempted to order something that is temporarily out of stock in the Tesla store like...ever? :rolleyes:

View attachment 767029

I expect Tesla's CCS1 adapter to go out of stock soon after it goes on sale. I expect that most people who want one but don't get one in the first round of sales will sign up for a notification. And I expect that most people who sign up for notifications will eventually get one.
If for one have used the "email when item is restocked" functionality many times in the Tesla shop, but I can only recall being notified ONCE through email that an item was back in stock. So it definitely isn't working 100% of the time. Or they send out staggered emails and I've just happened to be in a late batch. 🤔

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
If for one have used the "email when item is restocked" functionality many times in the Tesla shop, but I can only recall being notified ONCE through email that an item was back in stock. So it definitely isn't working 100% of the time. Or they send out staggered emails and I've just happened to be in a late batch. 🤔

Agreed. Normally the email alert system worked for me. Occasionally not, maybe when the item was only available briefly and sold out again quickly?

As others have said, I expect CCS1 adapter to sell out quickly (unless Tesla is smart and adequately stockpiles).
  • Will North American CCS1 adapter initially be only for Models 3 and Y?
True in South Korea (SK). Note that SK adapter may not physically/correctly fit the S/X port. Where would ‘pin’ go? Scratch the paint?
  • So what will Models’ S and X adapter look like? Two different designs for the two different model ports (3/Y and S/X)?
  • When will it be available (for S/X)?
I anticipate tears (for some, like me) at CCS1 release—quickly sold out; not available for all models; retrofits necessary; etc.
  • Hope there are mechanisms to stop scalpers.

Last edited:
And I recall seeing many people reporting that they responded to the in stock emails right away, and it was already sold out again that same day before they could get to it to order one, and that had happened to them repeatedly.

Reactions: Mockingbird

View attachment 767029

I said the same thing somewhere upthread. I've bought on the Tesla store before and their items always go in and out of stock. It's not some conspiracy against the CHAdeMO adapter specifically.

At any rate, plenty of people that actually had interest in one (or did cursory look and seen it in stock before).

Last edited:
The CHAdeMO adapter isn't even listed on the Tesla website anymore. I think it's been available for like 48 hours total since I purchased my car almost a year ago. Maybe it was more readily available in the past, but for newer owners it's something you pay $800 on eBay for if you actually need it.

Reactions: Mockingbird
The CHAdeMO adapter isn't even listed on the Tesla website anymore. I think it's been available for like 48 hours total since I purchased my car almost a year ago. Maybe it was more readily available in the past, but for newer owners it's something you pay $800 on eBay for if you actually need it.
That's not true, it seemed to be available for a good 1-2 weeks or longer some time after rumors of the CCS1 adapter for South Korea hit (with still no confirmation that it would ever be available in NA by the way). I thought of buying one more than a few times. I kept checking for more than 2 weeks and it was continuously in stock. Ultimately I decided that since CHAdeMO is dying it would probably be way less useful than a CCS adapter so I took a pass on it, but I easily could have ordered one if I really wanted to and could have done so multiple times. If I had purchased my Tesla a year or two earlier than I did (before Nissan gave up on CHAdeMO), I'd likely already have it.

That's not true, it seemed to be available for a good 1-2 weeks or longer some time after rumors of the CCS1 adapter for South Korea hit (with still no confirmation that it would ever be available in NA by the way). I thought of buying one more than a few times. I kept checking for more than 2 weeks and it was continuously in stock. Ultimately I decided that since CHAdeMO is dying it would probably be way less useful than a CCS adapter so I took a pass on it, but I easily could have ordered one if I really wanted to and could have done so multiple times. If I had purchased my Tesla a year or two earlier than I did (before Nissan gave up on CHAdeMO), I'd likely already have it.
The discussion about when CHAdeMO was last in-stock shows that Tesla is really a walled garden (at least, in North America).

The adapter was out-of-stock most of the time and expensive.

Even if the person managed to jump through all the hoops to get the adapter, he is limited to 50 kW.

Those are huge barriers to charging anywhere other than the Supercharger.

As reported elsewhere on TMC, Tesla North American CHAdeMO adapters have been unavailable (not sold out—gone) on the Tesla NA websites since, when, October 2021? Surprisingly, also gone from (country of origin) Tesla Japan website. (But still available from Japanese SCs on request, I hear.) Still available* on Tesla websites for:
  • South Korea (w/TPC plug)
  • Taiwan (w/Type 2 or TPC plug?)
  • Europe (significantly discounted but w/Type 2 plug)
  • Oceania (Aus & NZ) (w/Type 2 plug)
I think I have also seen possible third-party adapters on Chinese sites?

Japan and China have developed a new, more powerful CHAdeMO standard. Is this contributing to the reason?

In summary:
  • (TPC plug-version) Hard to procure? Previously, yes and no; depended on the date. (Delays at times.) Now, yes, definitely.
  • Dying standard? Appears to be (at least in NA.)
  • Was Tesla premature in discontinuing this adapter in NA? In my opinion, yes. Why not wait until CCS1 adapter (was closer to) release?
_____
* I am assuming that if the CHAdeMO adapter plug matches the car's charging port, then a CHAdeMO adapter will work on CHAdeMO charging equipment anywhere in the world. So a USA adapter (TPC plug) will work in Japan and South Korea; a Belgian adapter (Type 2 plug) will work in New Zealand; et cetera. If anyone knows otherwise, please let us know.

Last edited:
It was discontinued around October last year (at least in the USA store, entire listing was removed back then). But the thread was talking about back in 2017 when EA launched their network. Back then it was still available, it just went in and out of stock (like most items on Tesla's store).
Tesla's CCS adapter is finally coming

If you want evidence that there was stock before then, look no further than this thread in August 2021:
CHAdeMO Adapter in Stock on Tesla Website

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
It was discontinued around October last year (at least in the USA store, entire listing was removed back then). But the thread was talking about back in 2017 when EA launched their network. Back then it was still available, it just went in and out of stock (like most items on Tesla's store).
Tesla's CCS adapter is finally coming

If you want evidence that there was stock before then, look no further than this thread in August 2021:
CHAdeMO Adapter in Stock on Tesla Website
As I recalled, it was in stock for less than a day.

As I recalled, it was in stock for less than a day.
That's common for a lot of items. I was looking for the 14-50 adapter and that happens lots of times (in stock sometimes, and then quickly out of stock). That's why there's plenty of threads like the linked one for Tesla store items. Here's one for the 14-50:
NEMA 14-50 Adapter, back in stock

What I did was have a bookmark to the page and check it regularly (the email alert from other accounts sometimes doesn't work or is too slow).

The discussion about when CHAdeMO was last in-stock shows that Tesla is really a walled garden (at least, in North America).

The adapter was out-of-stock most of the time and expensive.
If you wanted it, my assertion is that you could have gotten it, at least up through October or so. And the cost really is a non issue. I spent more than 2 orders of magnitude more money on my Tesla than the cost of that adapter.
Even if the person managed to jump through all the hoops to get the adapter, he is limited to 50 kW.
That is the bigger issue IMO. Charging on CHAdeMO is slow. Despite not actually owning the CHAdeMO adapter, I have charged on CHAdeMO before with an adapter I didn't own. 50 kW is the maximum theoretically possible but it doesn't even go that fast. Remember that the quoted 50 kW charge rate is the energy out of the charger; it actually capped out at around 43 kW to the battery. By contrast, the supercharger power (and billing) is by energy into the battery, not energy out of the charger. 43 kW is less than 3 miles per minute and just won't cut it when you're on a road trip unless you are making a long stop for a meal. Still way better than getting stranded or relying on level 2 charging but absolutely not ideal. It makes for a crappy user experience and contributes to the idea that EVs are slow to charge and that you have to sit and twiddle your thumbs, so it's no wonder Tesla discontinued that adapter in favor of something that can at least get above 100 kW to the battery.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tps5352
43 kW is less than 3 miles per minute and just won't cut it when you're on a road trip unless you are making a long stop for a meal.

It is way more useful than that. Any stop you make is a good 5 - 7X less time than L2. As a supplement to when Superchargers are not available (or some distance away) it is valuable .... so long as the charger is operational.

Is CCS superior to CHAdeMO ? In general, of course. But until I have a CCS adapter I'm very glad to have a CHAdeMO adapter.