Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Preliminary pattern(s) already emerging. More data needed.

CCS1 Compatibility - 12-23-21.jpg

If they stopped putting new boards in recently shipped cars, it doesn't bode well for those of us who will want to upgrade our board when the adapter is sold in the USA. Or perhaps the reverse is true. Perhaps they decided since only a small minority of owners bought the CHAdeMO adapter, that it is better to hold back the rare boards to go to those who will pay for them, rather than just give them to those who aren't even aware of it.

Now frankly, as a passive adapter likely to cost $200, just about everybody should put it in their car. Or rather, Tesla should just give them away to be available at every CCS station that's more than 20 miles from a supercharger or even near a supercharger that fills up. It's actually a super cheap way for them to expand the places a Tesla can charge at a trivial cost compared to building more superchargers, which they are already doing as fast as they can. There are many, many more cars than there are CCS stations so it's much more cost effective to put them on stations. Tesla should also freely licence the Tesla connector to go on other DC Fast stations. I think those stations would add it (particularly as they drop CdM) because 2/3rds of the cars out there are Teslas. Tesla doesn't make money on the superchargers, they are there to just make people buy a Tesla because it is easier to go more places in your car. But this plan only works if every Tesla can easily use the adapter, alas. (The CdM adapter works with almost all the cars.)

I like the representation. Is it built in to a specific S/S program or do you roll it yourself ?

--
By the way, my wife bought me a coffee mug that says "Chill. There is a spreadsheet for that." :)

Ha, ha. Thank you. I just created it myself freehand. Nothing fancy. Red and black circles added manually within Excel.

Yes, I find spreadsheets very helpful for making sense of multi-variable issues, which come up all the time. For example, I used Excel extensively in the months leading up to selecting and purchasing a Tesla. In this case, though, I just wanted Excel’s handy graphics features (simply to track "yes" or "no" responses).

As you probably know, if I had entered binomial data (say “1” for yes and “2” for no), or even text ("yes" and "no"), Excel could have been made to count the results and generate a true graph (a "bar" graph or whatever). Some people prefer working with database software. I have always preferred spreadsheets.

Last edited:
Reactions: SageBrush
To clarify, is there a difference between not installed" and "not supported"? Do some folks car info screen say not supported?
There is a chip inside of ECU, which is responsible for "digital signal talk", which CCS do
So

all Gen3 ECU (Model 3/Y 2018-2019, and beginning of 2020) are not working for 100%. PN 1092755
As gen4 ECU M3/Y +-March.2020-06.2021 seems to be supported, PN 1537264

MS MX 2012-2019 need to have a separate module (retrofit) in EU, so just an additional board with wiring added to car, same for USspec cars.
MS MX 2020+ are does have it built in by default.

That's what I know about CCS

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tps5352 and Xebec
I just created it myself freehand. Nothing fancy. Red and black circles added manually

I'm relieved -- for a moment I thought that Xcel was making Google sheets look bad.

As you say, a built-in graph with stacked bars is easy to use in conjunction with a pivot table that groups by month, like this example. But it does not look anywhere near as good as yours. It's redeeming feature though is automated crowd sourced data display.

Last edited: