Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Availability (2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if they could be mimicking a Chademo adapter through their Tesla connectors to get that 50kW even on non-CCS compatible Teslas?
They do not mimic a CHAdeMO adapter. Last April I found myself in the New York JFK airport cell phone lot while my CHAdeMO adapter was resting comfortably on a shelf in our garage.

The DC fast chargers had a CCS plug, a CHAdeMO plug and a straight-cable Tesla adapter hanging from a chain. My 2017 S had not yet been upgraded for the CCS adapter.

My car couldnā€™t complete the handshake when I tried using the Tesla adapter. I concluded the car probably had to know the CCS protocol to complete the negotiation. Teslaā€™s CHAdeMO adapter does the protocol translation with an internal board. In the old days I would take the CHAdeMO adapter to the Service Center annually for a firmware update.

Reactions: KJD
They do not mimic a CHAdeMO adapter.
It depends on what station at what location. Some do. Some don't. There have been some stations for several years that got Tesla CHAdeMO adapters with longer cables installed and built into their stations, so that really is what they are using. And because it's running through that, they have the 50 kW limit. That was long before the CCS conversion came along. Since a poster earlier in the thread was constantly being limited around 30-40ish kW, that was a theory there.

But with the release of NACS publicly, a lot of the charging networks are putting those cables on, which are passing CCS through the NACS cable, and that is what you're talking about, which won't have that 50 kW power limit.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Same with me. No message about January or my vehicle being able to be upgraded. Went ahead and used the Tesla app and requested to get an appointment to get the CCS upgrade, the person reviewing the request then told me it wasnt available (thru messaging/chat) and canceled the appointment.

1707412910409.png

This is the wording I see. Maybe just indefinitely delayed...

The service guy I emailed earlier today said they don't have any updated timeline on retrofit installs.
I gave up and bought a charge controller on eBay to install myself. I have the adapter for my MY, so it'll be cheaper than buying the adapter + module from Tesla and having them install it.

Installation is pretty simple, from what I have seen.

Do a search for part number 1537264-00-B. Plenty of listings.
Thanks. I didn't know what you meant by "charge controller". I imagined it was something else. 1537264-00-B is the part number for the Gen4 Charge Port ECU which has the communications chip needed for the CCS interface. I've got everything to do the conversion myself but not the incentive to start the job :) .

I gave up and bought a charge controller on eBay to install myself. I have the adapter for my MY, so it'll be cheaper than buying the adapter + module from Tesla and having them install it.

Installation is pretty simple, from what I have seen.
I was worried about doing it myself, but it really is pretty simple. Works great. I'm not sure Tesla is ever going to actually offer the upgrade.

Reactions: KJD