Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CD player for Tesla 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. If you are in streaming music, or USB or tunein, etc, etc you don't have bluetooth sound from your phone.
Hmmm - I can use the phone via the car's audio system while I'm listening to audio from the usb, spotify, streaming or whatever. When the phone rings, it interrupts the audio and I can conduct my phone call using the car's speakers as normal, like in other cars. Are you saying that doesn't work for you?

Unsuccessful so far in getting my March 2021 Tesla 3 to recognize/play NAV-TV USB CD player (v2) plugged into USB-C port. Power is there, but no uplink.
Any ideas? Need some sort of Bluetooth transmitter? Loathe to copy CDS to thumb drive and lose full sound.
Where do I plug in my turntable?
if it's not on reel-to-reel I'm not interested ;-}
Unless it's a wax cylinder.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
You guys joke, but there are people on here who still think Carplay/Android Auto is a thing.

15-06-03-HDB-Philips-01s.jpg

Tesla’s awful interface to play the music.

I still have a large black binder filled with cds and would love to play them in my car to feel nostalgic. No tape player though, that’s just bad technology.
it literally is the fastest and best USB audio interface in a car today. display on full screen, fast reacting touch, search capable... the speed to select one of thousands of tracks with instant scrub cant be compared with reading from a disc

Actually the BMW I had over a decade ago had a vastly superior USB music interface. It was identical to the Tesla in that it had the same option to type in names or scroll by first letter - but it worked. It actually took you to the letter that you selected instead of something random. Also it had the ability to play what you wanted to play - the artist for example. You could transfer a few dozen gigs of favorites to the onboard memory so you'd still have something in case you forgot your USB drive and back then, cars could even display the album art!

IMG-8351r.png

Legitimately curious. How does one appreciate lossless audio over: tire noise, wind noise, other cars making noise, Autopilot gongs, lane departure screeching, collision warning tsunami sirens, navigation lady screaming, etc.
Quite well TYVM

No one is thinking that we can have a listening experience that rivals a solid home system and/or premium headphones. But by starting with better quality, you hear better quality. Because it is important to me, I invested in a solid aftermarket system. 90+% of my listening experience is in my car and I get 45 minutes worth of time (or more) to enjoy it daily. My car is my refuge. By having good source material, it improves my experience.

it literally is the fastest and best USB audio interface in a car today. display on full screen, fast reacting touch, search capable... the speed to select one of thousands of tracks with instant scrub cant be compared with reading from a disc
I don't know if you got some unique music UX in your Tesla, but mine really sucks. Absolutely horrible.

My old 2013 Taurus Ltd had a FAR superior interface and I thought that one was pretty weak. I love my car, but the UX is the worst thing about it.

Actually the BMW I had over a decade ago had a vastly superior USB music interface. It was identical to the Tesla in that it had the same option to type in names or scroll by first letter - but it worked. It actually took you to the letter that you selected instead of something random. Also it had the ability to play what you wanted to play - the artist for example. You could transfer a few dozen gigs of favorites to the onboard memory so you'd still have something in case you forgot your USB drive and back then, cars could even display the album art!

View attachment 673330
This has album art. And scrolls by Artists. And jumps letter to artist (and albums and genres and etc). What's random? It's extracting Artist/Album/Info from the ID3 information in your files.

"The" article is properly omitted for indexing, otherwise you'd have to browse through 1000 bands starting with "The". If Magic Slim is the main artist and Billy Branch/James Cotton are merely supporting artists, they're listed because they're embedded in the file information. If you only want to see the main artist, you would either clean up the tags - or, just use option to browse by Folder.

I owned BMW iDrive NBT EVO.... there are lots of things i like about iDrive, but the speed and accessibility doesnt compare. Yes you could browse by artist... except to get there its click, scroll, click, scroll, click, scroll, click, scroll...

I don't know if you got some unique music UX in your Tesla, but mine really sucks. Absolutely horrible.

My old 2013 Taurus Ltd had a FAR superior interface and I thought that one was pretty weak. I love my car, but the UX is the worst thing about it.
For starter you wouldnt be able to scroll 9 items at a time like shown above.
Whats a user-flow that is better in the Taurus than in the Tesla?

For starter you wouldnt be able to scroll 9 items at a time like shown above.
Whats a user-flow that is better in the Taurus than in the Tesla?
I'm glad you brought up the scrolling and the screen shot. I ask you to take a look at the letter that is showing on the right - that the Tesla thinks it is on the letter "N" - but that the music that shows are at the beginning of the letter "M."

Further, when you scroll and have a large library (I currently have over 11,000 tracks in the car), it is a crap shoot whether you'll even get close. I have never been able to successfully find a specific track this way. At least in my Taurus, I could select ranges, then narrow down the selection, and then finally much more easily scroll track-by-track. Sure, I couldn't see as many tracks on the screen at once, but all that offers ZERO advantage in this case.

Also, the randomizer in the Tesla has no memory. I like to let the tracks play on a randomizer. The Taurus would run an initial indexing when I put a USB stick in and remember all the tracks (I suspect it assigned a serial number to each one). Then, as it was playing, it kept that randomization such that even over the course of several months, it never repeated a track. I could monitor that as I could see that the current track playing was 3,129 of 7,902 (or whatever) and it just kept its place day-after-day, even when I switched to another source (radio for example), it came right back to where I left off. The Tesla? Well, every day is a whole new setup. You would think that as many tracks as I have, repeats would be non-existent, but I am continually shocked by how often it happens.

Don't get me wrong: I am certainly not raving about the system in the Taurus (though the Sony system was actually pretty decent). But when that 10+ year-old tech offers a far better UX than what Tesla offers now, it is a sad statement about Tesla.

Unsuccessful so far in getting my March 2021 Tesla 3 to recognize/play NAV-TV USB CD player (v2) plugged into USB-C port. Power is there, but no uplink.
Any ideas? Need some sort of Bluetooth transmitter? Loathe to copy CDS to thumb drive and lose full sound.
I'm also trying to find a solution to listen to my CDs in M3 (late 21). Has anyone made good experience with the Nav TV V2 in M3?

I ripped all my CDs on to my phone via iTunes and stream it in the 3. No issues playing the music, receiving calls, using Siri, etc. Sound is good to me but I'm no audiophile nor expecting a home theater-like experience.

Until the Model 3 somehow gets a lot of effective road noise deadening, and a lot of people have tried, it's hard to achieve anything like a good listening experience in this car at highway speeds.

If you have a woofer to handle the bass, and you EQ it well, you can use open ear buds for the mid-high end. But just plug and play? Sadly no.

It can be quite tiring having to sift through snarky posts disrespecting the OP's sincere quest trying to play CDs in his Tesla.

So with some trepidation I'd like to ask a similar question:
Can I plug in my Apple stand-alone, USB-powered CD player and get audio out of the Model 3's speakers somehow, without ripping or otherwise investing time or money into more labor intensive intermediary conversion methods?

Thanks, C.

Last edited: