Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center horn retrofit for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because nothing has failed? The steering wheel and horn button still work. (The people with a yoke are getting free upgrades under warranty because the cover on the yoke is failing and peeling.)

It is just a feature change, and those aren't covered by warranty.
It was promised by Elon to be a free software update but guess Tesla forgot about that.

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks and GSP
We are finally able to order a retrofit to add center horn for those that dislike the capacitive horn button. Doesn’t fix the other issues some have with lack of stalks but a start. For yoke and round steering wheel.

Of course Tesla is charging $2,000 for it. Some other threads on this topic so will try and consolidate them.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Just got mine installed by mobile service and took maybe 20 min tops. First impressions are that the material is definitely an upgrade and the center horn works 100% better than the button. The turn signals work as expected and don't appear to have any variance from my old yoke. Overall really happy with the replacement. Was a free replacement due to some peelinng of the old yoke
1000010833.jpg

Just got mine installed by mobile service and took maybe 20 min tops. First impressions are that the material is definitely an upgrade and the center horn works 100% better than the button. The turn signals work as expected and don't appear to have any variance from my old yoke. Overall really happy with the replacement. Was a free replacement due to some peelinng of the old yoke
View attachment 1030072
Are you in California? Im in Georgia and my appointment is in may they said they are trying it out in California then will gradually roll to other states?

View attachment 1030072
Glad it works well. They really shouldn't be making a profit off the retrofit for round steering wheel. I assume it costs them less than $2,000 to fix their obvious mistake (and a promised free software update).

You do not need to be on 2024.2.7. The tech just needs to connect his laptop to the car to update the config file to tell it you have the mechanical horn, and that's it. I'm still on 11.4.9 with the 2023.44.30.8 build and the new yoke installed. Many of us are.
The official instructions do mention updating to 2024.2.7 if the car is on an earlier firmware, but I guess it'll depend on how much of a stickler the tech doing the retrofit is.

Because nothing has failed? The steering wheel and horn button still work. (The people with a yoke are getting free upgrades under warranty because the cover on the yoke is failing and peeling.)

It is just a feature change, and those aren't covered by warranty.
I was under the impression your wife drove your car with her nail file in the palm of her hand and managed to cause the yoke to peel?

.....maybe that was another forum member? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
I'm in CA and about 30 min from the Fremont factory, so maybe that helps. The tech who came by said the yokes were coming in last week and airbags very recently.

Another note is that the dials for volume and autopilot feel sturdier. It might have been only my old yoke having this issue, but turning the volume with the dial is more precise than previous.

Sept '21 S with peeling yoke in Massachusetts . Was scheduled for an April 8th mobile replacement but requested a rescheduled to March 28th (as the car will be in Maine that day for the eclipse). On 2023.44.30.8 awaiting FSD 12.3 - just noted that on the service request and await a reply.

I know they have limited part stock locally and are allocating stock to swap out factory yokes on vehicles before delivery (perhaps part of the reason why some S/X owners awaiting delivery are getting their dates pushed). I'm expecting my 3/28 appointment to get pushed out beyond quarter end if it conflicts with an S/X vehicle waiting to go out the door. I'm fine with that.

• Informative
Sept '21 S with peeling yoke in Massachusetts . Was scheduled for an April 8th mobile replacement but requested a rescheduled to March 28th (as the car will be in Maine that day for the eclipse). On 2023.44.30.8 awaiting FSD 12.3 - just noted that on the service request and await a reply.

I know they have limited part stock locally and are allocating stock to swap out factory yokes on vehicles before delivery (perhaps part of the reason why some S/X owners awaiting delivery are getting their dates pushed). I'm expecting my 3/28 appointment to get pushed out beyond quarter end if it conflicts with an S/X vehicle waiting to go out the door. I'm fine with that.
Probably not a good idea to have mentioned what version you’re on to the service team. On Facebook I read there are people being denied yoke upgrades because techs are following the TSB which states 2024.2.7 required. Why draw attention to that when it’s not required? 😅

Probably not a good idea to have mentioned what version you’re on to the service team. On Facebook I read there are people being denied yoke upgrades because techs are following the TSB which states 2024.2.7 required. Why draw attention to that when it’s not required? 😅
Perhaps - but I'd prefer to get bumped in advance than when they show up. They've already responded with a thanks and "we should be good".

• Informative
Reactions: EVCarGUy