Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change charge rate from app please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can change the amps without charging up to 16.
Yes, but possibly a daft idea. Without the car realising it’s in a single phase supply it shows the 3 phase current limit which is why you get 16a limit (some MS and MX will be offered 24A and some older MS may have 32). Trouble is, the car remembers based on GPS location so you may have to reset it correctly once plugged in or you may have accidentally halved your charge rate.

You can change the amps without charging up to 16.

Warning! Don't touch the charging amps setting until you've read the scenario below. (additional detail to @GeorgeSymonds scenario)

Yes, you can reduce the amps up and down with the app if plugged in ... but ... the setting that you leave it with will be the amps it starts charging at. The reason this can be a problem is that the maximum amps you can choose (when plugged in but not actually charging) is 16amps. This means that when the car actually starts charging it starts at 16 amps even if the charger is offering 32 amps. I discovered this having moved the charging level up and down in the app whilst plugged in just to see how it happens. I happened to wake during the night and looked at the app to discover that my car was charging at 16 amps (despite the charge point offering 32) ... it was easy then to use the app to change up to 32 amps but it I hadn't spotted it I could have run over my cheap rate before the charging was completed.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Warning! Don't touch the charging amps setting until you've read the scenario below. (additional detail to @GeorgeSymonds scenario)

Yes, you can reduce the amps up and down with the app if plugged in ... but ... the setting that you leave it with will be the amps it starts charging at. The reason this can be a problem is that the maximum amps you can choose (when plugged in but not actually charging) is 16amps. This means that when the car actually starts charging it starts at 16 amps even if the charger is offering 32 amps. I discovered this having moved the charging level up and down in the app whilst plugged in just to see how it happens. I happened to wake during the night and looked at the app to discover that my car was charging at 16 amps (despite the charge point offering 32) ... it was easy then to use the app to change up to 32 amps but it I hadn't spotted it I could have run over my cheap rate before the charging was completed.
I pushed mine up from 16 to 30 last night. It was still at 30 before I unplugged this morning. After I did, it reverted to 16 :mad:

Apropos of nothing, the Hypervolt has user selectable charging current built in to the app and the implementation sounds a lot better than what's on offer here right now. So if it's a big deal for you and you need a wall charger, then it's worth considering.

Apropos of nothing, the Hypervolt has user selectable charging current built in to the app and the implementation sounds a lot better than what's on offer here right now. So if it's a big deal for you and you need a wall charger, then it's worth considering.

That will alter what the charge point offers to the car. In this particular scenario the problem is that the car decides to ignore what it is being offered by the charge point and goes with its own setting ... which can be lower than you want, as described above. (The Hypervolt charging current selectability is still a useful feature but it doesn't resolve this particular issue.)

I used mine for the first time post-update last night.

When I plugged the car in the Tesla app showed 16 amp and wouldn't allow me to increase it. At that point the charger wasn't delivering any charge as it was on a timer managed by the Wallbox app. When the charge began the amps shown on the Tesla app climbed to 32 amp without me doing anything. Checked this morning after the charge had finished and the Tesla app now shows 48 amps, presumably now just indicating what the car is capable of taking.