Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many kW from the wall charger does predeparture preheat consume?

And anyone know when it starts - 1hr prior to departure?

(Assume say +10C overnight)
Is it worth doing it off the wall charger in winter?
Both depend on the outside temperature, but at 10C it seems to start about 20 minutes before the departure time, and turns itself off around 30 minutes after departure time if you don't actually use the car. I'd estimate it'd use about 2kW average at that temperature - maybe 3 or 4 kW at 0C ambient.

Looks like Newcastle Council are replacing the perpetually faulty DC charger at No. 2 Sportsground (on Chargefox network).

Out goes a Tritium RT50
And in comes what looks to be an Ocular Titan 60 with 2x CCS2 ports.

Quite a neat pole mounted unit.

Think this is the first DC Ocular unit we've seen in Aus, plenty of their AC units.

Last edited:
Sadly no yet functional. Not sure if it is DOA or just needs to be finally turned on.
Looks like it started working at some point today:
1688198317689.png

Reactions: Hairyman
So should I bother precondition the battery even though I'm ok with charge rates being limited once I arrive? Usually I'm not in that much of a hurry and don't want to waste energy on battery heating before I arrive at the charger,b ut is this bad for my battery health?

(Pre)heating the battery is just for faster charging at higher %'s. it's not for the 'health' of the battery or whatnot. So if time is no issue, there is no need to preheat.

At slower 50kW DC chargers if I know I don't want to go above 80% .. I'll sometimes disable the heating during charging and it gets the whole 50kW until around 70-75%. (2019, NCA chemistry).

(Pre)heating the battery is just for faster charging at higher %'s. it's not for the 'health' of the battery or whatnot. So if time is no issue, there is no need to preheat.

At slower 50kW DC chargers if I know I don't want to go above 80% .. I'll sometimes disable the heating during charging and it gets the whole 50kW until around 70-75%. (2019, NCA chemistry).
How do you disable heating manually?

Chargefox seems to be making a further step away from being a EV charger provider and just a network manager for other EV charger providers.
We have recently started to see Engie branding within the Chargefox app,
Screenshot_20230705-001723.png

I am now seeing RACV branding for former Chargefox owned sites,
Screenshot_20230705-001115.png

I think this is replicated for all former ChargeFox Victoria sites.
And similar for all NSW sites I am seeing NRMA branding,
Screenshot_20230705-001023.png

And NRMA is furthering their branch into SA with all the former Chargefox sites in SA also getting NRMA branding,
Screenshot_20230705-001151.png

And even the new Port Adelaide site which had Chargefox branding just last week is now,
Screenshot_20230705-002426.png

also NRMA branded.

Is this also pointing toward NRMA utilising the Chargefox app for their larger, currently NSW/SA network and future AU wide network?

Edit: Further point, ChargeFox now not only has the above mentioned NRMA branded sites in SA but is also the provider for the RAA branded sites in SA,
Screenshot_20230705-003959.png

Last edited:
Interesting... looking at all the ultra-rapid sites:

WA sites are now under "RAC Electric Highway" (RAC WA)
VIC sites are now under "RACV"
NSW and SA sites are now under "NRMA" (interesting, RAA wasn't interested in the two SA ones?)
The sole Qld site (Toombul replacement) isn't active yet

The odd one out is the Tas site - not under RACT, but Electric Highway Tasmania!

• Informative
Reactions: cafz
Chargefox has been moving that way for a while.
They've also had Yurika (Qld), Gold Coast Council (Qld) and a handful of DCAV (Vic) sites for a while, and SA and WA government coming on stream.

But I wonder whether that rebranding means they are selling/ donating the 350/50kW network to local operators to take care of maintenance ?

-

Also as a separate topic, the Sydney Eastern AC network has as of 1-July gotten rid of its ToU pricing which ran $0.11-0.28/kWh, and move to a flat $0.42/kWh (with most 5min free (about 1kWh), but mine $1 charge) - quite a substantial increase.

Disgraceful..
Think it's more a reflection of a substantial increase in underlying electricity prices (and maybe a shift to demand tariff).

The networks has also opened another half a dozen sites so possibly also a desire from the council operators to make a return to pay for maintenance and investment.

Unfortunately think it's going to be the first of many charging price increases we say over the next few months.

Reactions: Hairyman