Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is this?
The 'Tri-Council' setup I assume @moa999 means - they're one of the Chargefox case studies Council Case Studies – Chargefox

Case study is from 2020;

Three councils in Sydney’s eastern suburbs – Waverley, Woollahra and Randwick - became the first councils in NSW to provide public on-street EV charging stations. The installation was completed in June 2019. Stations are currently installed at Bondi Beach, Double Bay, Coogee Beach and Randwick, Bondi Junction and Maroubra.

Interesting... looking at all the ultra-rapid sites:

The odd one out is the Tas site - not under RACT, but Electric Highway Tasmania!
Are you sure, Chuq?
The only Chargefox-billing ultra-rapid charger I know of in Tassie is the one at Kings Meadows. It is Chargefox-branded, not EHT.

More generally, I feel the RACT has been a dead loss at supporting EV's. No action at all, aside from a few articles on EVs in their magazine, which are dwarfed by their effusive reviews of the latest gas-guzzler.
They subsidise all ICE drivers with a 6cpl discount @ United servos, but their 20% discount for EV "fuelling" is limited to a single charger in the entire State.
If they were serious, they would negotiate a discount deal with EHT (of which the NRMA already own a reasonable share).
I've been considering dropping my RACT membership and joining up instead with the NRMA, which obviously IS serious about EV adoption.

The 'Tri-Council' setup I assume
Correct. - Woollahra, Waverley and Randwick Councils which basically make up the majority of Eastern Sydney
(other than Woolloomooloo, Potts Point, Darlinghurst which is in CoS, and Botany which is its own Council).

Now at 11 AC (BYO Type 2) chargers on Chargefox, and 1 DC charger (Queen St Woolahra) with Evie.

Are you sure, Chuq?
The only Chargefox-billing ultra-rapid charger I know of in Tassie is the one at Kings Meadows. It is Chargefox-branded, not EHT.
Chuq is referring to in app branding,
Screenshot_20230705-120815.png

Will be interesting to see when/if this translates to on charger branding.
As far as I know this is a recent in app change. I noticed some SA sites initially.

Reactions: Chuq
Chuq is referring to in app branding,
View attachment 953311
Will be interesting to see when/if this translates to on charger branding.
As far as I know this is a recent in app change. I noticed some SA sites initially.
Thanks (and apologies to Chuq)
I hadn't seen that EHT branding before. I was referring to the signage on the chargers themselves. I can see from older photos on Plugshare that they used to have an RACT logo on them. Though what the significance of that was (aside from the motoring club discount), I have no idea.

Chargefox seems to be making a further step away from being a EV charger provider and just a network manager for other EV charger providers.
Neerav at techAU reached out to Chargefox and confirmed that Chargefox no longer 'own' any hardware, and now belong to the motoring clubs.

“The motoring clubs have taken ownership of the Ultra-Rapid network. Chargefox no longer owns any charger hardware. Chargefox branding on all chargers has always been very minimal, the owner/hosts brand is always the most prominent branding”.

Neerav at techAU reached out to Chargefox and confirmed that Chargefox no longer 'own' any hardware, and now belong to the motoring clubs.

Did they deliver on their?

'The Chargefox Future Fuels Public Fast Charging project will deliver 16 fast charging stations across Adelaide and Perth.'

"• Inspection of 16 candidate sites has been completed
• Draft designs have been created for 16 sites
• Draft construction costs have been submitted for two sites"

Was their January update to Arena.

For their SA Gov funded Port Adelaide site there is now NRMA branding in the app for the Charger. So maybe these sites will revert to NRMA for SA and RAC WA for Perth, or even NRMA? Or will they just drop them altogether.

So here's something interesting. A charge popped up and an invoice arrived for a charging session today at a charger 2000kms from me. Explanation was the person charging couldn't get the app going so the call centre started the charge for them and charged my account. Pretty poor authentication going on here.
While I have never had serious enough issues at a Chargefox site (and that's saying something after all these years)...

...once or twice I've noticed older folks using Evie Sutton Forest who just call their contact centre, say who they were, say where they are, and they'd start the session remotely. And it didn't appear related to a technical issue, rather that's just how older folks prefer to charge. It wouldn't be a stretch to suggest they'll make mistakes occasionally.

While I have never had serious enough issues at a Chargefox site (and that's saying something after all these years)...

...once or twice I've noticed older folks using Evie Sutton Forest who just call their contact centre, say who they were, say where they are, and they'd start the session remotely. And it didn't appear related to a technical issue, rather that's just how older folks prefer to charge. It wouldn't be a stretch to suggest they'll make mistakes occasionally.
I thought that's who rfid cards are for