Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging etiquette for Tesla owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A tricky situation indeed. I have availed myself of public charging about 50 times in 18 months. About twenty times or so, I really did not need a charge, but felt that it was the right thing to do instead of leeching off my sister-in-law's 110V plug in her garage. A few of those times I knew I was going to be eating dinner and shopping, so three hours would add about 50-60 miles of range, even though I technically did not need the additional miles.

Once I had an owner of a Leaf or Volt owner express frustration because, "why don't you just use a Supercharger, and let us little people use these public stations?" I smiled and said that the Supercharger was about 50 miles away, and that this charge was enabling comfortable access to it when I left town the next morning.

We just need to be thoughtful and polite and not game the system to be best of our abilities.

This sort of thing is why I think public chargers should be installed in inconvenient locations. Put them at the back of the garage, not right up front. People who need the charge will gladly take it. People who don't need the charge but want the free electrons can decide which compromise they prefer. People who don't care about charging and just want a good spot can take up better spaces.

I sometimes plug in when I don't need a charge, but I'd never use a spot without charging. There's a local shopping area a couple of miles down the road from me where I go pretty often, and they have free chargers. I plug in even though I don't need it, because they offer it, and why not? Plus, I figure that using it sends the message that it's appreciated, and helps get more chargers installed. One exception to parking without charging: there's one charger there which has been broken for ages, and I will park in that spot if the others aren't open.

I always leave a note on my dashboard when I do this. I printed out a piece of paper with two messages on it. One says "I am opportunity charging. I will move if you need it." The other says "I am charging to get home. I can move if you really need it." I put the appropriate side up when I charge, and otherwise it lives in my glove compartment. It includes my phone number on both so people can reach me. I've never had anyone call me, but knowing it's there makes me feel better, and you never know when someone might end up taking advantage of the offer.

Reactions: Russell
All I saw was the Fairmont parking. Nothing else.
If you come down to SoCal you can park for free in Santa Monica and Hermosa beach.

- - - Updated - - -

A tricky situation indeed. I have availed myself of public charging about 50 times in 18 months. About twenty times or so, I really did not need a charge, but felt that it was the right thing to do instead of leeching off my sister-in-law's 110V plug in her garage. A few of those times I knew I was going to be eating dinner and shopping, so three hours would add about 50-60 miles of range, even though I technically did not need the additional miles.

Once I had an owner of a Leaf or Volt owner express frustration because, "why don't you just use a Supercharger, and let us little people use these public stations?" I smiled and said that the Supercharger was about 50 miles away, and that this charge was enabling comfortable access to it when I left town the next morning.

We just need to be thoughtful and polite and not game the system to be best of our abilities.
That's great that you plugin when you park in an EV spot, but I think the message we need to spread to other Tesla owners is not to park just to park in a good spot but plug in every time you take an EV spot. When AB-475 first was debated pure EV owners didn't want to allow plugin hybrids (or Volts) to charge in "EV" spaces. There will always be some infighting between plugin car owners, but we can reduce the animosity by having good etiquette and sharing good practices with other EV owners.

This may be unpopular but... IMHO It's unfortunate, but the problem is a systemic degradation of courtesy. It's not just charging locations. It's everywhere. And it's sad.
Personally, I don't "opportunity charge". There are a lot of Leafs and similar...even Volts...access to a charger is the difference between getting home at all (or getting home without the genny kicking on).

I know there's no way for Leaf driver to assess whether my big 85kWh battery'd car needed a charge to get home, but probably pretty safe to bet it doesn't. In these early EV days of 10 - 20kWh cars on the road - it's just better to give them the space in my opinion.

I think it depends on where your locale is on the EV adoption curve. My favorite grocery store (MOM's - My Organic Market) has free EV chargers in front of a few of their stores. In DC, I will only take an EV spot and charge if the other spot is open, because sometimes both those spots are taken with Volts, PIPs or Leafs and they need it more than me. In the Timonium store, on the other hand, I charge there all the time because when nobody uses them, people forget they're for charging and they get ICEd.

I think this is a big problem regardless.

Tesla supercharges located near shopping areas are abused and held longer than they should be. blocking others from charging.

As someone said before, all EV parking should only be used when charging. Once your done charging you should move. All EV owners have problem following that rule.

It's more critical for all battery cars to have access to those spots. I got an i3 before my tesla and had several problems getting home when plug in hybrids with 10-30 miles range took up level 2 spots for hour past the time they needed to charge.

As an owner now I have my own rules. If the only option is a level 2 charger I always leave a note on plugshare and on my car with my number. Anyone that needs to charge can give me a quick call. I only stay in the spot as much as I need to and once the car is done charging I move it.

I think this speaks to the "don't tread on me" (New Hampshire's state motto) culture that we have in the US. I don't like it. Though I love the motto. I wish we were more considerate of others.

As far as plug-ins go, I have a hard time understanding the need there. They have an ICE engine to get them home, in whatever form that may be. Pure EVs do not. I only use a charging spot when I need it, and I calculate that need and move when I am done.

I completely agree that EV charging spots should not be the prime spots. I understand why they were set up this way with the new tech: to promote the concept. But I am happy to walk all the way across a parking lot for the privilege of being able to charge, free or not. A good example of that is Petaluma, CA. The 10 stalls are a good walk from the grocery store. I haven't seen any ICEing there yet. People are just too plain lazy. Another cultural issues for the US... It really is the same thing as people parking in disabled spaces when they are not. Simply shameful, IMO.

My hope is that, as EVs take over the market, as they will, that enough stranded people will gain a voice large enough to 1: increase the sensitivity among the public to understand the problem for those of us who end up stranded, and 2: motivate law enforcement and towing companies to actually do something about it. CA may well have a bill for this. But they are not doing anything about it at all.

As far as plug-ins go, I have a hard time understanding the need there. They have an ICE engine to get them home, in whatever form that may be. Pure EVs do not. I only use a charging spot when I need it, and I calculate that need and move when I am done.

They don't need it (unless they've run out of gas!) but it's still much nicer.

Just purely for selfish reasons, I'd rather have J. Random Volt charge up while shopping and drive home on electricity rather than emitting more local pollution because they had to switch over to gas.

I completely agree that EV charging spots should not be the prime spots. I understand why they were set up this way with the new tech: to promote the concept.
As much as it seems that way, it's only a small part of the reason. Running wire to the far end of a parking lot is quite expensive, running it to the outside wall of the building is much cheaper. As a result most chargers are located as close to the building as they can be to reduce installation cost.
There are some notable exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions. The best you can really hope for here is along the wall of the building, but as far from an entrance as possible.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
We are in a society where people circle the gym parking lot for 5-10 minutes to get a close spot so they can go in and exercise... Anything (sadly) is fair game here.
And people here drive their car a half mile (65, sunny, completely flat) to the gym instead of walking or riding a bicycle. Amazing. And we wonder why we spend twice as much on healthcare as other countries and yet still have a shorter lifespan.

i think the OP has a point here. Teslas have a decent battery pack and rarely do we need to use Level 2 chargers. Holding a Level 2 charger and not charging just should not happen. If you don't need the charge then don't hold the spot. If you do hold the spot at least charge and give those other EV owners an option to contact you if they critically need to charge. It can be thru Plugshare our thru a note on you car or on the charge port. Evenex even has a laminated card you can use.

But as EV owners we should follow the basic rules of etiquette around charging. Plug in cars has a good article on etiquette.
Electric Vehicle Charging Etiquette | PluginCars.com

Keep in mind that over the next couple of years EV's are going to be more and more common on the road. Only the Tesla has the capability to quick charge to 80% in a timely manner. The new Leaf or the new Chevy bolt can only max out at about 70-80 miles on a quick charge (chadmo or SEA Combo). Those quick chargers are also limited to only 30 minutes so they will not have no option for a quick full charge anyway. The need for Level 2 chargers is only going to increase. Currently there are not enough chargers at popular locations for the amount of EV drivers on the road. Once the affordable 200 mile range cars start coming out the problem is only going to get worse. There is no incentive right now for more chargers to be put in place so expect things to get worse.

There already is a lot of hostility against Plug in hybrids & Tesla's using Level 2 spots. Don't be part of the problem because you have seen other idiots not follow etiquette.

This sort of thing is why I think public chargers should be installed in inconvenient locations. Put them at the back of the garage, not right up front. People who need the charge will gladly take it. People who don't need the charge but want the free electrons can decide which compromise they prefer. People who don't care about charging and just want a good spot can take up better spaces.

I sometimes plug in when I don't need a charge, but I'd never use a spot without charging. There's a local shopping area a couple of miles down the road from me where I go pretty often, and they have free chargers. I plug in even though I don't need it, because they offer it, and why not? Plus, I figure that using it sends the message that it's appreciated, and helps get more chargers installed. One exception to parking without charging: there's one charger there which has been broken for ages, and I will park in that spot if the others aren't open.

I always leave a note on my dashboard when I do this. I printed out a piece of paper with two messages on it. One says "I am opportunity charging. I will move if you need it." The other says "I am charging to get home. I can move if you really need it." I put the appropriate side up when I charge, and otherwise it lives in my glove compartment. It includes my phone number on both so people can reach me. I've never had anyone call me, but knowing it's there makes me feel better, and you never know when someone might end up taking advantage of the offer.

Something like this?

Charging | Take Charge and Go

- - - Updated - - -

Also, having asked, the reason they are located is 90% the cheapest location. It seems most parking lots do not have high power running anywhere near them so they run the shortest possible, meaning the buildings that already have power.

There is one HEB in Austin that the L2 is opposite the store as there happened to be lines they could tap there.

I cannot see any difference between being ICE'd and an EV parking without charging. Both vehicles are performing the same function, blocking an EV from charging. I have a PHEV, does that mean I should never publicly charge since I'll never NEED it? No. Should you not charge if you don't need it, meh, charge if you want if the spot is open, but never park and NOT charge. If you don't want to charge, easy, don't park in the charging spot.

Last edited:

No, it's just a piece of paper I put on my dashboard, and it just invites people to call or text me. I haven't seen a lot of chargers where "OK to unplug" would be very useful. Most of the ones I've been to, there's one spot per plug, and adjacent spots either can't be reached with the plug or are always full. If someone wants to use my plug, I'd usually have to move the car. Mine is more like this, except not as pretty, and with the added detail of "opportunity charging" or "charging to get home":

http://d2odvx3v4cbpyu.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Screen-Shot-2014-06-03-at-7.59.35-PM-1024x492.jpg

No, it's just a piece of paper I put on my dashboard, and it just invites people to call or text me. I haven't seen a lot of chargers where "OK to unplug" would be very useful. Most of the ones I've been to, there's one spot per plug, and adjacent spots either can't be reached with the plug or are always full. If someone wants to use my plug, I'd usually have to move the car. Mine is more like this, except not as pretty, and with the added detail of "opportunity charging" or "charging to get home":

http://d2odvx3v4cbpyu.cloudfront.ne...en-Shot-2014-06-03-at-7.59.35-PM-1024x492.jpg
Around here a lot of the public chargers have long cords that would reach multiple stalls, (especially if backed in) (whether those stalls are open or not is a different question, but it does happen) I also know of a few locations with multiple stalls dedicated per charger (eg Ikea in Calgary has 4 stalls, but only 2 chargers)
So it certainly has some merit. I've returned to my car to find another EV in the stall next to me, most likely waiting for a charge, I would have plugged them in had they left their charge port open and the adapter in it...

Eh, if there's a free charger next to the entrance, I'll use it even if I don't need a charge.
If there's a paid charger next to the entrance, I'll skip paying a fee unless I need a charge.
I use the paid charger at work whenever I need it.
If my work charger were free, I'd use it whenever I wanted to.

The solution is fairly simple:
1. Enforce EV parking but not charging
2. Make all chargers cost money (I bet $0.10/kwh would deter people using it when they don't need to)