Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a different angle to the usual charging etiquette, what about ....

When it comes time for me to request a charge, (should I require one, and I'm pretty sure I will) from a fellow Tesla owner and it works out conveniently of course, do you think it would be a good idea to offer my sign-on and password as a courtesy, so they can track my location on that day?
Of course I would expect that they do not fiddle with any of my car controls during that time. :wink:
If the tables were reversed, I think it may be helpful for arranging charging, etc. for when expected. I know we can phone and text and that would happen as well possibly, but this would generate more goodwill I think and we have the technology. :cool:

On a different angle to the usual charging etiquette, what about ....

When it comes time for me to request a charge, (should I require one, and I'm pretty sure I will) from a fellow Tesla owner and it works out conveniently of course, do you think it would be a good idea to offer my sign-on and password as a courtesy, so they can track my location on that day?
Of course I would expect that they do not fiddle with any of my car controls during that time. :wink:
If the tables were reversed, I think it may be helpful for arranging charging, etc. for when expected. I know we can phone and text and that would happen as well possibly, but this would generate more goodwill I think and we have the technology. :cool:

Never, ever, ever, share your password to your Tesla account - nor any other website password for that matter. Its a really bad idea on so many levels. If you want to share your location use a find my friends type app for that.

Never, ever, ever, share your password to your Tesla account - nor any other website password for that matter. Its a really bad idea on so many levels. If you want to share your location use a find my friends type app for that.

Fair enough Mark E.
So you wouldn't even share it with a family member?
I see Bjorn has done it for a friend when they had a 'race'. I've seen another clip where the driver shared with his co-worker.

Looks like Allen Wong (Remote S) is heading down the right path with ...

From the App-Store ...
'No-Commands' Mode - lets you log in the app for your family/friends to monitor your Tesla's location live without allowing them to issue commands to your car.

Last edited:
Fair enough Mark E.
I see Bjorn has done it for a friend when they had a 'race'. I've seen another clip where the driver shared with his co-worker.
I agree with Mark. I think Bjorn and his friend logged into each other's phone and did not share the password, he had to log in again using his phone to block his friend after he kept opening the sunroof and it got jammed. Not sure about the other clip but I guess it may have been the same.

Fair enough Mark E.

Looks like Allen Wong (Remote S) is heading down the right path with ...

From the App-Store ...
'No-Commands' Mode - lets you log in the app for your family/friends to monitor your Tesla's location live without allowing them to issue commands to your car.
Family only in an emergency

Only give your login credentials to people you would permanently give a copy of the kar-key (or FOB in this case).
The password is almost as good as a key, with added ability to track you, and only highly trusted individuals should have this, or share it and change the password afterwords.

Worst-case is probably that they use the app to unlock and start the car, drive away and log in to the website and change the password so you are locked out of the app...

Only give your login credentials to people you would permanently give a copy of the kar-key (or FOB in this case).
The password is almost as good as a key, with added ability to track you, and only highly trusted individuals should have this, or share it and change the password afterwords.

Worst-case is probably that they use the app to unlock and start the car, drive away and log in to the website and change the password so you are locked out of the app...

just so I can get this straight I can steal a tesla (hypothetically) if i managed to workout the owners password ? there isn't some 2 factor authentication method ?

Last edited:
just so I can get this straight I can steal a tesla (hypothetically) if i managed to workout the owners password ? there isn't some 2 factor authentication method ?

Hypothetically someone with your password could order another car from the website.... They could also remote unlock, AMD start the car. What 2 factor method would you like? It'd have to be something that is completely portable or virtual otherwise it defeats the purpose altogether.

Hypothetically someone with your password could order another car from the website.... They could also remote unlock, AMD start the car. What 2 factor method would you like? It'd have to be something that is completely portable or virtual otherwise it defeats the purpose altogether.

just surprised i guess password reuse and easy to guess passwords like myt3sla etc.. would be a weak point in the system... compared to other systems my bank if transferring to unknown accounts need to type in code from sms. I have a RSA token for my work VPN. Steam the online gaming platform when using a new or computer you haven't used for a long period of time require a code be typed in that's emailed to you. and lets not think about the goverment websites like mygov which go overboard.

just surprised i guess password reuse and easy to guess passwords like myt3sla etc.. would be a weak point in the system... compared to other systems my bank if transferring to unknown accounts need to type in code from sms. I have a RSA token for my work VPN. Steam the online gaming platform when using a new or computer you haven't used for a long period of time require a code be typed in that's emailed to you. and lets not think about the goverment websites like mygov which go overboard.

I agree that the password restrictions should be stronger - and because of my background use a password made from a phrase with numbers, letters, varying case and special characters, but many don't. Be aware though that if the access were made 2 factor it may break some of the 3rd party apps. I'd agree that registering the phone with the app on it would be a good idea - similar to phone banking. But wouldn't like to see the SMS getting sent out every time you go to use the app or start the car.

I agree that the password restrictions should be stronger - and because of my background use a password made from a phrase with numbers, letters, varying case and special characters, but many don't. Be aware though that if the access were made 2 factor it may break some of the 3rd party apps. I'd agree that registering the phone with the app on it would be a good idea - similar to phone banking. But wouldn't like to see the SMS getting sent out every time you go to use the app or start the car.
Simply put; the facility is provided and it's up to the operator to make sure it's used properly.
1. Choose a proper password.
2. Don't drive the car into a brick wall at 100mph.
Same level of responsibility.
For the last week I have rented a Model S with full App access. Now I have returned the car, I hope he changed the password.

Simply put; the facility is provided and it's up to the operator to make sure it's used properly.
1. Choose a proper password.
2. Don't drive the car into a brick wall at 100mph.
Same level of responsibility.
For the last week I have rented a Model S with full App access. Now I have returned the car, I hope he changed the password.

Ray did you rent a Model S for TMC Connect and If so who did you rent it from?
I will be in San Francisco in September and can't bring myself to rent an ICE.

since this is a WA charging thread, I'm uploacding this picture here

wa ev charging.jpg

it's from another forum
discussion there suggested that there is a WA law that says it's illegal to charge from a power point anywhere unless it's approved
presumably this could make charging from a 15A outlet in a caravan park illegal?

could make charging from a 15A outlet in a caravan park illegal?
If you've paid for a powered spot, and you just using what you've paid for.

On Mt Barker there are two marked sites in Plugshare (none that look like the one above) but both say to get Council permission first.

I think it is fair to say that at any live power outlet the electricity that comes out will be being paid for by some entity.

Taking that power is costing that entity money and so taking that power without permission is theft.

Find the owner of the power outlet and ask them. If they say no, or if you can’t find them, find power elsewhere.

Splitting hairs over rare edge cases is just that. Stealing electricity and these sort of stories is just going to add to the antagonism toward EVs.

/end rant