Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And yet people do that all the time. Last July, about 30 Teslas drove from around North America (Florida, New Jersey, New York, Colorado, Arizona, Canada, and many other locations) to California. You can see photos from the drive at superchargingacrossamerica - Twitter Search .

So while what you say undoubtedly makes sense to YOU, the reality is that yes, people do drive cross-country in their 'battery only car' and I can attest to the fact that no one was particularly crazy when they arrived at my house.

Reality, not just talk. Since you don't drive a BEV, it's probably difficult for you to fully understand what BEV drivers experience every day. We've all driven ICEs, so not so hard to understand. Most of us worried about range ... until we started driving a BEV.

And no one driving an ICE gets all worried about hauling around way more gasoline than they need every day, which would be only a couple gallons. Instead they insist on carrying ten or twenty on the off chance they may decide to do an extra errand, or drive across country!

GM has been doing this over and over with all sorts of power supplies.
Hydrogen, Fuel Cells, and for all I know a trailer filled with
cow pats (pipe to attached-car with dual-mode ICE! I can see it now.).

They are just entertaining the internal bean counters and getting paid.
Nothing to see in the Bolt. Move along.

No, this was just an repeat of what they told us in Detroit. It is "PR flack speak" for "We meant what we told you, please stop speculating."

- - - Updated - - -

+1 :)

OK.

I'll say this--if the Chicago Auto Show passes with no production announcement, I will gladly admit I put too much faith in the General. But my prediction--for which I anticipate being able to post an "I Told You So" message fairly soon--is that we will see a production announcement sooner rather than later.

Moreover, I'd bet $100 that you will be able to buy a Bolt (or whatever it will end up being called) before you can buy a Model 3. That's a longer term question, but if I am still thinking about it in 2017 perhaps I will post an update to this thread.

Everyone has staked out their positions. We'll see who's right.

OK.

I'll say this--if the Chicago Auto Show passes with no production announcement, I will gladly admit I put too much faith in the General. But my prediction--for which I anticipate being able to post an "I Told You So" message fairly soon--is that we will see a production announcement sooner rather than later.

They just has to make an pure EV announcement one day, but I "bet" it will not happen the next few weeks. In half a year? Maybe, but it will be a wild guess if it will have any resemblance to the Bolt or not.

Moreover, I'd bet $100 that you will be able to buy a Bolt (or whatever it will end up being called) before you can buy a Model 3. That's a longer term question, but if I am still thinking about it in 2017 perhaps I will post an update to this thread.

Everyone has staked out their positions. We'll see who's right.

Be careful for what you bet on ;) Last I heard is that GM will stop selling Chevy (or any US cars) in my country... And since the Bolt was just a concept, we don't know if it will get an Opel version (like the "Ampera" for "Volt") or not, or if it will be 3 years later then the Chevy version (if it ever will be a Chevy "Bolt"). So even if you may be able to buy it before you may buy TM3, it is not sure that I may be able to do the same... But I hope your right, but will not hold my breath. And my guess is that I will be able to buy a long-range Leaf before any TM3 or GM "Bolt".

Edit:
http://www.tv2.no/a/4169491

Translate:
Chevrolet disappears from Norway - importer knew nothing
Come to work and got a very dramatic message.

Thursday morning came the news: Chevrolet pulled out of Europe - the cars will no longer be sold in our part of the world.

Rumors began to swirl on some websites from early morning. Then came the press release from General Motors who confirmed it all - and that the sale will be completed by the end of 2015.

Last edited:
So a "concept car" is just a shell that can't be driven. It's just a shape without function. So maybe they had made a shell and weren't sure what to do with it, and someone in the company wanted to make a pure EV, so they decided at the last minute to put an EV label on it just for laughs. Maybe get some anti-Tesla press while they're at it.

As good a theory as any...

Wow, you guys are still beating up on GM. :) This has got to be the most active thread on this topic anywhere on the Internet.

The response to AutoblogGreen is just a standard "we have no comment at this time." They said the same thing the weekend before the Detroit auto show about rumours of a Bolt EV.

We'll have to see what they have to say in Chicago, if anything.

They just has to make an pure EV announcement one day, but I "bet" it will not happen the next few weeks. In half a year? Maybe, but it will be a wild guess if it will have any resemblance to the Bolt or not.

Be careful for what you bet on ;) Last I heard is that GM will stop selling Chevy (or any US cars) in my country... And since the Bolt was just a concept, we don't know if it will get an Opel version (like the "Ampera" for "Volt") or not, or if it will be 3 years later then the Chevy version (if it ever will be a Chevy "Bolt"). So even if you may be able to buy it before you may buy TM3, it is not sure that I may be able to do the same... But I hope your right, but will not hold my breath. And my guess is that I will be able to buy a long-range Leaf before any TM3 or GM "Bolt".

Edit:
http://www.tv2.no/a/4169491

Translate:

The Chevy issue was a branding mistake, where they wanted a single global brand, but they realized it wasn't working and stopped it. The Bolt would be an Opel/Vauxhall if they think it'll sell.

The Chevy issue was a branding mistake, where they wanted a single global brand, but they realized it wasn't working and stopped it. The Bolt would be an Opel/Vauxhall if they think it'll sell.

It will sell but not at Ampera level pricing.

American price plus shipping plus 10% EU import duty and it will sell at about half the rate in the US.

Build it inside the EU and skip shipping and import duty and it will sell in Europe at the same rate as it does in the US.

It will sell but not at Ampera level pricing.

American price plus shipping plus 10% EU import duty and it will sell at about half the rate in the US.

Build it inside the EU and skip shipping and import duty and it will sell in Europe at the same rate as it does in the US.

They can do a Tesla and have EU assembly.

Anyway, my position on the Bolt is that it's a "real concept", meaning that they will target 2016/2017 production as it fits the LG Chem MOU, fits their electrification strategy and serves their ZEV needs. I also think it's a boxy city car, and they won't do anything about fast charging in that generation.

Last edited: