Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's why I don't think an AWD Bolt is going to happen. Will GM do a AWD EV at some point? Possibly. But it won't be the Bolt.
If they package a rear motor as efficiently as they packaged the front one you'd have no trunk at all... I can't fathom how they've managed to fill that much space up front, they really do want it to look just like every ICE under that hood.

If they package a rear motor as efficiently as they packaged the front one you'd have no trunk at all... I can't fathom how they've managed to fill that much space up front, they really do want it to look just like every ICE under that hood.
The Bolt has an unusually short hood (or front overhang) area like the BMW i3 but the i3 has the motor in the rear. The various automotive systems (A/C, brake fluid and pumps, radiators, etc) need to go somewhere and the traditional easy to access and maintain area is up front under the hood. The Model S does the same but has a much larger hood area in which to hide things while having a frunk.

I uploaded a couple of photos illustrating that on this other thread:
Tesla BEV Competition Developments - Page 113

Last edited:
It appears to have a VERY short nose when you consider safety requirements. Crumple structure requirements make noses necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Something interesting is the rear view mirror trick. You aim the rear view mirror at your back seat so if you have kids, you can check on them. When you flip the lever for Wide View, you don't adjust the mirror at all. It doesn't care what it's orientation is.

The Bolt has an unusually short hood (or front overhang) area like the BMW i3 but the i3 has the motor in the rear. The various automotive systems (A/C, brake fluid and pumps, radiators, etc) need to go somewhere and the traditional easy to access and maintain area is up front under the hood. The Model S does the same but has a much larger hood area in which to hide things while having a frunk.

I uploaded a couple of photos illustrating that on this other thread:
Tesla BEV Competition Developments - Page 113
Sorry, not buying it, there are many ICE vehicles with even smaller hood areas, and the motor here should be smaller than an ICE. they've done things this way, not because they have to, not because it makes any sense, but because they've always done it this way, they may have started from the ground up to build an EV, but their thinking was still in the old ICE world.

Sorry, not buying it, there are many ICE vehicles with even smaller hood areas, and the motor here should be smaller than an ICE. they've done things this way, not because they have to, not because it makes any sense, but because they've always done it this way, they may have started from the ground up to build an EV, but their thinking was still in the old ICE world.

Name one 2016 car (not commercial) sold in the US with a shorter distance.

I can't think of one. Cab Forward is gone due to NHTSA increased requirements. Looks like just enough hood to service the car from the outside without disassembling the nose. It appears to be about 1/2 the length of a Civic.

ICE FWD's need to clear to the flywheel in traverse. That's about 12" minimum. Exactly how small do you think a 200HP AC motor is in diameter? 4"?

Last edited:
I think the total Bolt package will be compelling "in person". The Bolt style just isn't sexy as a photograph. Neither is the model X. Because the model X is a Tesla and $140K well optioned, the assumption is that it must look great in real life. And it probably does.

Personally I would have been a little braver finishing out the Bolt. Those small LED headlights on the mules were better than the Chevy look in the finished product. I don't generally care for the design of GM products on the whole. Although there may be hope for Buick.

This is a translucent image showing what's under the Bolt's hood as it is positioned within the car frame, suspension, and outer body panels. I don't know of any similar Tesla images showing all of the actual plumbing of the real car. Tesla images tend to show only the bare frame, pack, and motors with all of the complicated-looking stuff removed. In the actual car, Tesla hides the ugliness under the plastic covers.

2017-Chevrolet-BoltEV-023.jpg

The actual 200 HP Bolt motor and final drive are co-axial meaning that it is mounted in the middle between the two front wheels much like the 221 HP FWD Tesla Model S motor. The Bolt motor looks more compact but that's probably because the Tesla motor has its inverter tightly integrated onto it (I'm guessing).

image.jpeg

This is the Tesla FWD motor:

image.png

Last edited:
This is a translucent image showing what's under the Bolt's hood as it is positioned within the car frame, suspension, and outer body panels. I don't know of any similar Tesla images showing all of the actual plumbing of the real car. Tesla images tend to show only the bare frame, pack, and motors with all of the complicated-looking stuff removed. In the actual car, Tesla hides the ugliness under the plastic covers.

Jeff, see my earlier post in this thread HERE, I think it helps bolster your argument.

I agree that the Bolt's packaging up front is pretty reasonable given the size of the font compartment and that all car systems plus drivetrain are essentially in there.

That car is rear engine and RWD.
Scion iQ, Fiat 500, Chevy Spark, Mitsubishi Mirage, Toyota Yaris are all front engine FWD and have extremely short front overhangs. If I'm less lazy maybe I can do a diagram that compares. The Bolt is an extremely tall vehicle, so visually it's going to look shorter (although in absolute terms that might not be true).

Last edited: