Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
chevy doesn't really want to sell the bolt anymore than they really want to sell the VOLT

Constant updates to the Volt don't prove that. The Spark EV, perhaps.

Chevy's buyers are mostly heavy ICE vehicles. Yeah, the Bolt will be a tough sell.

With Tesla, the buyers are shopping there specifically for EV only. It would be like Tesla offering a gasoline pickup. It would be a hard sell.

Constant updates to the Volt don't prove that. The Spark EV, perhaps.

Correct. I think it's fair to say that for the next few years GM won't be pushing to sell the Volt and Bolt in large numbers, but it doesn't mean they aren't serious for the long term. Multiple reasons for being cautious right now:
- Technology: costs are on a downward curve, but there is still some way to go, with a lot of unknowns on price and capability; the quoted _cell_ pricing (not battery pricing) for the Bolt is questionable given the heavy LG content.
- Capacity: for the same reason Tesla's building the Gigafatory, there simply isn't sufficient manufacturing capacity to support large numbers of sales.
- Tax Credits: the US tax credit clock is triggered at 200,000 but is structured in a way that it behooves them to wait until they can produce and sell a high volume at that point.
- Profitability: it's clear that it's easier to sell volume when underlying costs have been reduced. We know that the ZEV credits help to subsidize pricing and we really don't know what profitability is like. Consider that Tesla's totally losses will likely have lost $2B by the end of 2016Q1.
- Gas prices: gas prices are relatively low right now, and there is no reason to assume that they will rise enough to help the shift to plug-ins.

Chevy's buyers are mostly heavy ICE vehicles. Yeah, the Bolt will be a tough sell.

With Tesla, the buyers are shopping there specifically for EV only. It would be like Tesla offering a gasoline pickup. It would be a hard sell.

It might be a tougher sell if the Bolt had a competitor, but as of yet there are no prices or specs from competitors.

Also, note the following in the small car segments for US Chevrolet sales:
Spark 32,853 #1 (or #2 behind the Cooper 40,120)
Sonic 64,775 #2 (#1 Versa 144,528)
Cruze 226,602 #4 (#3 Elantra 241,706, #1 Corolla 363,332)

Even after a bad year for Chevrolet small cars, it's not failing abysmally in the small car segments.

Also, from next year Chevrolet will have the:
Volt
Bolt
Molt, sorry, Malibu Hybrid.

In the bad old days, people shopping green or efficient wouldn't have even bothered to head to a Chevrolet dealership, but Chevrolet is increasing the reasons to check it out.

Last edited:
One place Tesla will need to watch are the improving interiors in lower line cars from the luxury brands. The Mercedes C series interior is now very nice. I think it is so nice that the next BMW 3 series will need to have an interior upgrade. Volvo seems to be following a similar path.

$40-50K cars with interiors only available on $75K cars five years ago looks to become the norm. Instead of high end interiors being used to produce high margins, Mercedes in particular seems to be using the premium look to push volume.

The Bolt will presumably never be positioned as low end luxury, unless Cadillac gets stupid.

Chevy doesn't want to sell the volt bolt or any other car but an ice

I think you are wrong here. Certainly a majority of the dealers have no use or desire to sell these. However, there are some dealers that are starting to move large numbers of Volts and people will seek them out if indeed a Volt is what they want. Eventually other dealers will have to follow suit or risk loosing some volume once EV's become more mainstream.

I think GM would like to be able to sell every EV they can make because it advances them towards the CAFE requirements that are only possible with a good EV mix. Plus in the CARB states they need the credits just like another manufacturer and by having their own EV's will have an organic source of those credits without buying them on the market.
If they don't want to make/sell the Bolt in your opinion, then why are they marketing it?

GM would be much happier if every US citizen drove an SUV they make mega bucks from each one sold I have read as much as 50 percent profit....
They don't want to sell the volt or the bolt except where they have to !!! Why support the old when Tesla is the new
Use business sense. Large public businesses need to transition smartly for investors, suppliers, workers, etc. Don't be naive. It is not simple. GM is making good advances. They will push Tesla to be more sensitive to dates and manufacturing. This is good as well.

New article at GCR:

....a few electric-car advocates have suggested that GM had outsourced Bolt EV development wholesale to its Korean partner.

The transcript of an October media roundtable on the strategic partnership--formally titled the "GM-LG Chevrolet Bolt EV Relationship Announcement"--gives more detail on the balance of conceptual, design, specification, testing, validation, and production responsibilities between GM and LG.

Bolt EV Powertrain: How Did GM And LG Collaborate On Design, Production?

Other than the motor, this article additionally mentions the "battery control system" (likely AKA BMS) was designed by GM. That doesn't really change the position of the critics in any significant way.
I didn't think it would. :) but thought some might find it worth reading.

That list includes parts and assemblies jointly designed by both companies....

LG will deliver 11 unique components for the Bolt EV that it "worked closely with GM in developing," according to Ken Chang, vice president of vehicle components at LG Electronics.

GM would be much happier if every US citizen drove an SUV they make mega bucks from each one sold I have read as much as 50 percent profit....
They don't want to sell the volt or the bolt except where they have to !!! Why support the old when Tesla is the new

I just heard that Fiat-Chrysler is contemplating dropping the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart to focus on more profitable trucks and SUVs.

I just heard that Fiat-Chrysler is contemplating dropping the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart to focus on more profitable trucks and SUVs.

sigh..yes, they announced this with their ER the other day. What short memories we have. But on the other hand, they are loyal to their shareholders and this is clearly what the customer wants. The sad consequences of low oil prices and short term memory.

I think Fiat-Chrysler is going to be in a lot of trouble in a couple of years. They have less to offer in the way of new technology compared to Ford and GM (as well as most of the rest of the world) and they have little to spare for R&D.