Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold feet. Help me decide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ormond

Endless Peacock
Jul 10, 2016
Central Florida
I am worried by all the posts on troubles with the Model X. I don't want to worry about ghosting or hitting people with my FWD. I really would like surround view cameras to assist in parking the beast.

I really don't even need a SUV. I just like it's cool (irksome) features. The MX is less common than the MS.

My nearest service dept. is an hour's drive from home.

Help push me over the edge.

I am worried by all the posts on troubles with the Model X. I don't want to worry about ghosting or hitting people with my FWD. I really would like surround view cameras to assist in parking the beast.

I really don't even need a SUV. I just like it's cool (irksome) features. The MX is less common than the MS.

If it helps, there is a ultra-sonic sensor "surround-view" display of the vehicle. It shows a colored shadow where obstacles are located (red when it's very close) around your vehicle, including how many inches away it is.

Otherwise, there are risks to buying any production car in the first year. Having said that, the risks you would take now are negligible compared to the risks taken by people that have confirmed their order 6 months ago.

Reactions: Ormond
Took delivery of my Model X in early June. Have now driven 8,000 miles and hundreds of trips. Not a single material problem. The only issue I ever had was a little excess wind noise from my driver's side window, which the SC fixed (free) in less than 10 minutes.

One data point, but the forum tends to showcase the problems -- especially with cars delivered in the first six months of production -- rather than the silent thousands of happy owners. This owner is extremely happy with the car.

Push! You will absolutely love your model X!! Just got back from a 3,300 mile trip in the X and used superchargers all the way, no issues arose. Yes, we have had a few minor glitches since delivery but nothing significant. It is so much fun to drive, that we look for excuses every day to take a ride. Prior to the X, we had the model S for 3 years. We never want to go back to an ICE again, it just pales in comparison to Tesla. Hope this helps ;)

Grab a coin, call heads or tails. If you guess wrong do it again, Until you get it right. If only it was that easy. But on a serious note, there are so many factors in this decision and you should make sure it's the right call for you.

We based ours on
1) safety factors for our 3 kids (all under 6). Sure it's an expensive vehicle. But you can't put a price on safety.

2) I'm a tech nerd so AP was very appealing to me.

3) I can now drive in the HOV lane is the bonus which will cut my 60-75min commute to pick up the kids down to 35-45mins.

Granted I've read all the issues/troubles/concerns etc. I still pulled the trigger.

You only live life once so experience the new wave of driving EV!

And lastly $1000 savings is great too!

Http://ts.la/lucky4626

I agree with all the above, was also worried about all,the issues posted on this forum. As has been said there are many out there that have had very little problems including myself. Have had the X almost 3 months and driven all over with no problems. I have some small fit and finish issues and rubber alignment but nothing that has made me make an appointment and give the service center the car because that means I do not have it and cannot drive it. Eventually I will take it in. I also have not driven my Model S very much because the X is got all the goodies. You will love the car so buy it!

Reactions: Saxena and Ormond
If you have cold feet I would wait. Waiting may get you better quality control and perhaps autopilot 2.0. The MX is a pretty neat car, the front window is amazing (I liked it way more than I thought I would) but we were not convinced it was the right time to buy one.

If you don't need an SUV, why get an X? You get better performance with the Model S and you don't have to worry about the cool (gimmicky) features that you won't have any use for anyway.

I had MAJOR cold feet and almost walked away the day before delivery. Very glad and pleased I took delivery. 3 weeks in and only one minor trim issue. Drives fantastic! Never thought I would like AP but use it whenever I can. Thought the windshield was a bit gimmicky but LOVE the view and really provides a feeling of openness that no other vehicle can match. Stereo sounds great, the ride is fantastic and at least on mine the interior looks great. Reading the post on the forums can drive you nuts! Just do it!

I had MAJOR cold feet and almost walked away the day before delivery. Very glad and pleased I took delivery. 3 weeks in and only one minor trim issue. Drives fantastic! Never thought I would like AP but use it whenever I can. Thought the windshield was a bit gimmicky but LOVE the view and really provides a feeling of openness that no other vehicle can match. Stereo sounds great, the ride is fantastic and at least on mine the interior looks great. Reading the post on the forums can drive you nuts! Just do it!
What trim issue? Seems like everyone finds something and I love 3 hrs away so afraid of missing something. I'm not as familiar as some, and check list seems somewhat generic (but helpful).

There will always be new features in a newer vehicle. IMHO you pull the trigger to purchase when you are ready to buy the car :) Talking from personal experience, we were on the fence about getting an S vs an X. I even went to the SC to change my order. However after a test drive, there was no going back. Now a month and 2K miles into owning a 90D, I do not regret my decision one bit. This has by far been the best vehicle I have ever owned. We have had no issues with the car whatsoever!
Hope that helps!

Either get an S (my husband drives one and loves it) or wait a few more months to order an X. I do need the extra seat in an X for carpooling kids and waited as long as I could to configure given all the issues with the early VINs. Probably would still be waiting until next year except that my current Acura SUV is on its last legs...

Reactions: davidc18 and Ormond
Go for it! Took delivery in June have almost 7,000miles on it. Took a few road trips supercharging was easy and helped make the drive less tiring, kids were very comfortable. Everyone loves the doors, makes it so easy to get in and out of the third row. Service center is over 2hrs away but we pulled the trigger anyway. Never regretted it... Best car I have ever owned. Waking up to a "full tank" every morning is awesome and you forget how inconvenient stopping for gas on the way to work or on the way home was. AP works like a champ for my daily 100mile round-trip commute. Windshield is a huge feature, no ghosting whatsoever on ours and we love the open view. Tons more cargo space with seats up, compared to my X5. Tesla Service has been stellar and we appreciate it. I prefer driving the MX over the MS for ride height, fwds for the kids, and front windshield. Touchscreen is so geeky we love it, ability to run webapps on the browser increases functionality and convenience of having google at your fingertips is huge. Sound staging of UHFS is impressive and makes my music sound awesome. Ability to get new features via an over the air update is like no other car on the market. I can go on and on... You will see for yourself.