Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commuting by Tesla is cheaper than public transport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the end of the day, it’s pretty difficult to compete with a subsidized travel program that is public transportation.

but then you factor in reliability of the mode of transport, and the overall douchebaggery of your fellow commuters, and suddenly, letting your AP-equipped Model 3 handle most of the driving while you sit within your own unmolested personal space while listening to podcasts sounds a LOT better than public transport.

but then you factor in reliability of the mode of transport, and the overall douchebaggery of your fellow commuters, and suddenly, letting your AP-equipped Model 3 handle most of the driving while you sit within your own unmolested personal space while listening to podcasts sounds a LOT better than public transport.

Even the well-behaved strangers in public transit are aggravating once it's packed tightly enough. Add to that the fact that it's ALWAYS too hot or too cold, and loud, and ugh…

That is the promise of course; and in non-congested cities and roadways, it's the perfect way to travel. Once full automation takes hold, Tesla will need to design more comfortable traveling vehicles that would feel more like a lounge, with attention to lowering road noise, a smoother suspension, and overall improved ride experience. While my car was being serviced, Tesla gave me free Lyft service, and I still preferred to take the train into and out of the city -- it is faster than the busy roadways -- and the trains are well lit, smooth as glass and comfortable.

When I travel to DC, I prefer Amtrak's Acela train over airplanes, and automobiles because I can get up and stretch, visit the snack bar, and chat up other travelers - its a bit like a mobile bar ;) If you prefer to sleep, you can do that in the quiet car something that I've never been able to do in a car, bus or van.

That is the promise of course; and in non-congested cities and roadways, it's the perfect way to travel. Once full automation takes hold, Tesla will need to design more comfortable traveling vehicles that would feel more like a lounge, with attention to lowering road noise, a smoother suspension, and overall improved ride experience. While my car was being serviced, Tesla gave me free Lyft service, and I still preferred to take the train into and out of the city -- it is faster than the busy roadways -- and the trains are well lit, smooth as glass and comfortable.

When I travel to DC, I prefer Amtrak's Acela train over airplanes, and automobiles because I can get up and stretch, visit the snack bar, and chat up other travelers - its a bit like a mobile bar ;) If you prefer to sleep, you can do that in the quiet car something that I've never been able to do in a car, bus or van.

amtrak works if you're going city-center to city-center.

but we live in the suburbs, and most of the places we go are suburbs or rural. (other than to work daily, which is in the city for my wife, and the inner suburbs i.e. not serviced by convenient public transportation, for me.)

Reactions: GolanB
it's actually everywhere, at least in the US.

not really.

I've spent a lot of time on NYC area mass transit for example and it's generally fine.

The occasional homeless dude sleeping in a corner of a station someplace that doesn't bother anybody.

The occasional panhandler entering a subway car making some brief speech, and walking through holding out a can/cup/hat that you can just ignore, then he moves to the next car or exits at the next stop.

That's about it.

Oh- I think I did smell some pee in a subway elevator I took once because I happened to have a large package with me at the time, but usually I take the stairs/escalators and those are fine too.....

And it generally gets me where I'm going faster, vastly cheaper, and VASTLY lower stress than actually driving and parking in NYC.

Don't get me wrong- here in NC I don't use public transit pretty much at all- getting to work would involve a 2 hour bus trip, each way, with a 20 minute walk on one end and a 15 minute walk at the other.... still perfectly clean and non-gross BTW, but super time consuming.

But in NY? Mass transit is generally excellent compared to driving/parking yourself.

DC Metro honestly same thing to a lesser degree.... (driving on weekends ain't bad, but subway is often still quicker/easier and usually cheaper with parking factored in).

And yes certainly outside the US there's lots more excellent options... You can about eat off the floors of the subways in Vienna for example- something I certainly don't suggest in NY or DC.... but the west coast guys make it sound like you can't take a train without slipping in piles of bodily fluids and landing in a pile of homeless pickpocket murderers or something.

This happened this year on a bus route I could take when I'm staying in Columbus.
Man arrested after axe attack on COTA bus

Police say Ronald Sparks, 49, and Samuel Myatt, 58, were fighting at the COTA bus stop and one of the men had an axe. They say when the COTA bus pulled up, both men got on the bus and continued fighting.

I will always drive my Tesla. Axe fight going on and the bus opens the doors and lets them on.

This happened this year on a bus route I could take when I'm staying in Columbus.
Man arrested after axe attack on COTA bus

I will always drive my Tesla. Axe fight going on and the bus opens the doors and lets them on.

I have so many questions here.... like- they actually stopped fighting long enough to board- did they pause to pay their fares and all too?

Still, it's not like driving avoids crazy people with weapons-

Road rage leads to gunfire on northeast Ohio highway

IMHO the bus driver was crazy. Who in their right mind pulls up to a bus stop where an axe fight is going on then opens the doors to let them on?
If there has to be a crazy nut behind the wheel of my car it's going to be me.

Last edited:
Yes, _if_ you own a car already, commuting via public transportation is quite likely to be more expensive than using your car.

But when I used public transportation in the UK, before I moved to Central Maine, I didn't own a car.
At times inconvenient and slow (I've cycled 45 miles in 3 hours and it might have been faster than the public transportation alternative), but other times great for giving me useful time that I wouldn't have in a car, not to mention incorporating some daily exercise.

I really hope there's autonomous taxis cheap enough to be used for commuting (with ride-sharing at least) at some point in the future because that would be an awesome combination of the best aspects of the two.

Yes, _if_ you own a car already, commuting via public transportation is quite likely to be more expensive than using your car.

But when I used public transportation in the UK, before I moved to Central Maine, I didn't own a car.
At times inconvenient and slow (I've cycled 45 miles in 3 hours and it might have been faster than the public transportation alternative), but other times great for giving me useful time that I wouldn't have in a car, not to mention incorporating some daily exercise.

I really hope there's autonomous taxis cheap enough to be used for commuting (with ride-sharing at least) at some point in the future because that would be an awesome combination of the best aspects of the two.

My numbers assume car is owned already and is a sunk cost. I just computed tolls, and electricity costs, and did not take into account insurance, or bank payments. It was still cheaper to take public transportation - by a good margin - and this does not even include the fact that I can purchase my public transportation tickets with pre-tax dollars through our CERA spending account.

Commuter Expense Reimbursement Account (CERA) allows employees to have their parking and commuter expenses to and from work deducted on a pre-tax basis. Employees can set aside up to $265 per month for parking expenses and another $265 per month combined for mass transit and vanpooling.

Then why are we talking about Tesla vs Public Commuting when it should be Tesla vs Audi?

The argument is not remotely valid. But hey, it’s the Internet.
You completely miss the point of the discussion. It's "should I drive to work or take public transportation if I already have a Tesla?" or "if I'm going to buy a Tesla?" I actually had the same thinking. Didn't consider Audi etc at all.
This is indeed a comparison beteeen Tesla and public transportation. But not in the sense that one will sell a car by taking public transportation.

You completely miss the point of the discussion. It's "should I drive to work or take public transportation if I already have a Tesla?" or "if I'm going to buy a Tesla?" I actually had the same thinking. Didn't consider Audi etc at all.
This is indeed a comparison beteeen Tesla and public transportation. But not in the sense that one will sell a car by taking public transportation.

If that is the case buy a 1992 Honda. It’s also cheaper than public transit.

This entire thread is based on the OP’s need to justify a commuting decision. Which is fine but the numbers make no sense.

LOL, sorry i missed out the important piece of info. ICBC (our insurance company) do offers additional discount if the drivers or people who gonna drive the car have 10 years or more driving experience. Sadly my wife doesn't and she only have 5 years. So I have to paid additional $600 per year of insurance just because of that....

I always assumed men married older women for "sugar mama" treatment.
Good to know there are insurance benefits as well!

My numbers assume car is owned already and is a sunk cost. I just computed tolls, and electricity costs, and did not take into account insurance, or bank payments. It was still cheaper to take public transportation - by a good margin - and this does not even include the fact that I can purchase my public transportation tickets with pre-tax dollars through our CERA spending account.

And then there is the little elephant in the room - parking in The City.
I can't speak for every town in mid-west, but you can't get a multi-hour parking spot in The City (NYC for out of towners) for less then $50/per, or $30/per in Boston, DC, or Frisco. Even if electricity and mileage-based wear'n'tear are zeroed out, and traffic jams magically disappear, city parking costs make personal car commuting cost prohibitive.

Net of parking costs, taxis become financially advantageous to driving and parking your own car for in-city trips.

I'm sorry for folks who think sharing transportation space with strangers is socially undesirable.
Once you reach a certain population density and level of infrastructure development, public transport is not only cheaper, but faster and more convenient.

a

• Disagree
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
If that is the case buy a 1992 Honda. It’s also cheaper than public transit.

This entire thread is based on the OP’s need to justify a commuting decision. Which is fine but the numbers make no sense.
The OP (and I) ALREADY has/needs/wants a Tesla for the weekends. How does a Honda 1992 make any sense for the weekdays as it is going to incur an extra cost and takes my second garage space?
How hard is it for you to understand the question: should I drive my ALREADY owned Tesla/Lambo/Bugatti/anything to work? It doesn't matter at all how much the original car costs. All that matter are operational costs and benefits.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
The OP (and I) ALREADY has/needs/wants a Tesla for the weekends. How does a Honda 1992 make any sense for the weekdays as it is going to incur an extra cost and takes my second garage space?
How hard is it for you to understand the question: should I drive my ALREADY owned Tesla/Lambo/Bugatti/anything to work? It doesn't matter at all how much the original car costs. All that matter are operational costs and benefits.

And depreciation + insurance costs.
It's easy to forget those two, but they are huge value destroyers when it comes to operating vehicles.

But as others have said: if you want to feel good about the choice you've already made, creative accounting can come to the rescue of any questionable endeavour.

a