Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a CID hang the other day too. I was in too much of a hurry to take careful notes, but along similar lines. One thing I noticed was that prior to the hang, I was trying to play an album I'd played the other day. I was confused why it wasn't in the "recently played" list, but even more confused that when I navigated to where it should have been in the album list... it wasn't there. All the stuff around it was there, but not the album in question.

I have no intention of reporting this to Tesla,
The only thing Tesla cares about is new car sales and they just missed the quarter. I suggest all comments on the media player (and navigation, phone, etc.) go to [email protected]. I tell anyone who asks that the car is a masterpiece of mechanical and electrical engineering, but all the customer facing software is awful. The software is of a quality that we would never accept in a smartphone app.

Maybe if Sales connects the dots between their missed quarter and unhappy installed base, they'll use their influence to fix the CID apps.

And yes, I'm aware that not all owners are unhappy with the media player. We all have our issues with some aspect of the car.

BTW, anyone in California who's been using Bluetooth from their phone to get around the poor Media Player, should pay careful attention to the new "hold your phone, get a ticket" law. Working your way through the telephone music app to play over bluetooth just became illegal.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and BertL
The only thing Tesla cares about is new car sales and they just missed the quarter. I suggest all comments on the media player (and navigation, phone, etc.) go to [email protected]. I tell anyone who asks that the car is a masterpiece of mechanical and electrical engineering, but all the customer facing software is awful. The software is of a quality that we would never accept in a smartphone app.

Maybe if Sales connects the dots between their missed quarter and unhappy installed base, they'll use their influence to fix the CID apps.

And yes, I'm aware that not all owners are unhappy with the media player. We all have our issues with some aspect of the car.

BTW, anyone in California who's been using Bluetooth from their phone to get around the poor Media Player, should pay careful attention to the new "hold your phone, get a ticket" law. Working your way through the telephone music app to play over bluetooth just became illegal.
Oddly enough, I've been so busy complaining about the Media Player, I haven't been able to tell people how great the car is. I've gotten zero referrals since they further screwed up USB playback. How is that for a correlation?

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Part III -- Yes, It Can Get Even Worse

Had another occurrence of the CID hang, etc as described previously with 2.50.114 this weekend. Rebooted, and continued along.

This afternoon, I went out to do some errands, and here we go again (4th occurrence with .114). Non-responsive CID with the lighted upper left corner responding whenever I touch the display, but no music playing. I reboot, backup and get on my way. Upon completion of the reboot, some new little things happened with Media Player:
- Album Art was blank (just the default note symbol), but a 3/4 circular black arrow icon displayed over it, along with "Loading Error". Never have seen the circular icon before!
- I touch the new circular arrow...
- Music begins playing, BUT, no Album Art and NO metadata. (See Photo 1). Note the name of the track now contains the .flac appendage, aka, MP is displaying the physical filename, not the Album Tag data.​
This is the same USB stick I've been using since .40. I guarantee there is full metadata and album art on 100% of the tracks. To prove it, I check the USB screen and yes, my tracks are available by album, artist, etc. SO MP is using the data, now just not displaying it. (See Photo 2).

I have tried switching media sources, doing a full reboot (with foot on the brake version), removed and reinserted the USB stick to force a rescan, went to selected songs I know have album art and metadata that I was listening to recently in my MS with the same stick, and even checked my firmware release to see if any sorta magic may have occurred -- no, I'm still on 2.50.114. Anyway, IMHO this is certainly an issue with Tesla Software Quality ... Beyond the CID Hang which is new with .114, tracks are recognized and played, metadata is used via the scan/rescan process, but NOT used for display when a track is played back. FRUSTRATING. FRUSTRATING. FRUSTRATING.

I have no intention of reporting this to Tesla, as with my SvC backlog, it would be weeks before I could get in, and even then, there is nothing they can do with firmware ...and 8.1 will likely change the playing field once again -- and perhaps hit before my appointment becomes available. Maybe there is a Tesla employee scanning this thread -- but I won't hold my breath. (Sorry, yes, I am pretty miffed. Time for a glass of wine I think!) ;)
On a side note...

When I removed my USB stick and left it out for awhile since I was driving, MP switched over to my iPhone and the last song I was listening to. Interestingly, the Album Art did not match anything I was familiar with. When I stopped, I checked, and sure enough, the displayed Album Art for the track was nothing I've ever listened to before ... meaning, I now believe firmly that there remains leftover code still going out to Gracenotes to grab Album Art in certain situations... Exactly what all those may be, only the Tesla Engineers may know. Sigh.
The Evidence
Photo 1: View attachment 209845
Photo 2: View attachment 209846

...and BTW, I'm glad for those not having issues. Please don't rub it in by saying so again! I know who you are! :rolleyes:
Part IV -- Proving I'm in The Tesla Twilight Zone

Went out early this morning to run errands. Opened my MS and voila -- USB music was playing! I jumped in, and to my amazement, the Media Player interface was back to normal ... Album Art displaying and full metadata being displayed for the tracks ...still no graphics in the favorites icons, but hey, that's OK in the scheme of things.

I had done nothing since leaving my MS in it's previous state outlined in Part III... I could perhaps comprehend that Album Art was running on some delayed secondary process to account for the substantial delay in it's presentation, but that isn't how MP has acted to-date when new USB devices are inserted and the initial scan is completed. Why a different interface with no metadata appeared after multiple reboots and not touching the USB device is beyond me. It just remains, Tesla's Infotainment firmware is the reason I'm stuck in the Tesla Twilight Zone. I hope none of you are unfortunate enough to join me, wherever I may be. @jgs it sounds like you may be on the verge. Be careful! It's not a fun and predictable universe over here. ;)

Reactions: Boatguy and jgs
Part IV -- Proving I'm in The Tesla Twilight Zone

Went out early this morning to run errands. Opened my MS and voila -- USB music was playing! I jumped in, and to my amazement, the Media Player interface was back to normal ... Album Art displaying and full metadata being displayed for the tracks ...still no graphics in the favorites icons, but hey, that's OK in the scheme of things.

I had done nothing since leaving my MS in it's previous state outlined in Part III... I could perhaps comprehend that Album Art was running on some delayed secondary process to account for the substantial delay in it's presentation, but that isn't how MP has acted to-date when new USB devices are inserted and the initial scan is completed. Why a different interface with no metadata appeared after multiple reboots and not touching the USB device is beyond me. It just remains, Tesla's Infotainment firmware is the reason I'm stuck in the Tesla Twilight Zone. I hope none of you are unfortunate enough to join me, wherever I may be. @jgs it sounds like you may be on the verge. Be careful! It's not a fun and predictable universe over here. ;)
Hey man, I left the Media Player Twilight zone last month. I've been using my bluetooth pairing to a spare phone and an Android media app. It does crossfade, library,10 band EQ, playlists, voice search, double tap to wake screen. And it pauses on bluetooth disconnect and resumes on bluetooth connect like clockwork. I'm waiting for 8.1 to fix all the Tesla media player bugs before I go back. Until then, I'm spending all my time I would have normally wasted on things like referrals and dicking around with the media player, to post snarky comments here and on /r/teslamotors about how bad the media player and the rest of infotainment needs work.

Which reminds me, why does the passenger seat heater come on if no weight is detected in the seat for that trip? I mean, this is common sense usage scenarios people.

• Informative
Reactions: Boatguy and neroden
1) If you stand back and look at Tesla, their software development is totally out of control. "Control" meaning they have no ability to deliver the specified s/w product on a schedule, even a schedule that they are allowed to revise multiple times.
Tesla has completely incompetent project management for software. This has been a problem since at least 2013. I've done better on *amateur* projects where you couldn't actually rely on anyone to do any work because they were all volunteers. A lot of it has to do with having version tracking, issue tracking, and regression testsuites working properly, which I think they don't. If they did, they would be able to get feedback to the service centers regarding the status of individual bugs; they'd be able to do regression testing... etc...

It happened with the MX Falcon doors (the h/w worked, the s/w that controlled them properly came out six months later), the MS/MX infotainment s/w for which they've essentially quit making any promises at all, AP 2.0 s/w, etc. This is symptomatic of very weak and/or disorganized management, I'm not blaming the engineers.

Reactions: jgs
FWIIW, my USB today started displaying, and playing, tracks in the correct order on albums/folders. The track number is listed, then the track title, and then the file extension. I have not had an update of any sort in 19 days. So, out of nowhere, my music is back on track. :) I am grateful, but now superstitious, and don't want to lose the ability to play my collection from start to finish as I have from the beginning of time.

I think we're going to be stuck with this Media Player's "functionality" for a long time. The exec summary is:

- weak s/w development management
- infotainment is very low priority
- underpowered infotainment h/w platform

1) If you stand back and look at Tesla, their software development is totally out of control. "Control" meaning they have no ability to deliver the specified s/w product on a schedule, even a schedule that they are allowed to revise multiple times. It happened with the MX Falcon doors (the h/w worked, the s/w that controlled them properly came out six months later), the MS/MX infotainment s/w for which they've essentially quit making any promises at all, AP 2.0 s/w, etc. This is symptomatic of very weak and/or disorganized management, I'm not blaming the engineers.

2) Tesla could not have ever planned to ship AP2.0 h/w without any s/w to support it; that is just a crazy scenario for any company. The h/w and mfg engineers executed and shipped a product in early Q4 but the s/w team did not; Falcon doors deja vu. Tesla had to tell customers that they should buy a car with less functionality today than its predecessor, on the promise that it would be ready by December. December came and went with no AP 2.0 s/w. So the AP 2.0 schedule had been changed twice, and they still missed it.

AP 2.0 s/w is priority #1 and it sounds like they are going to be lucky to deliver the s/w that will make it fully functional (feature parity with AP 1.0 but presumably better performance) by the end of the Q1, meaning it will be two quarters behind the h/w.

2) Tesla is still promising they'll ship the M3 by "late 2017". By now we all know that means having a photo op with one customer on 12/31/17; exactly what Chevy did with the Bolt. Software for the M3 has to be priority #2 and since the car is significantly different than the MS/MX, there is a lot of work to be done by a software organization that is not well managed and probably has had some resources redirected to work on AP 2.0.

Once they ship the minimally functional M3 to meet the deadline, they'll be scrambling to fill in the gaps during most of 2018, just as they did with the MX and AP 2.0.

3) Media Player? Navigation route planning? Favorite contacts in the telephone app? That's like asking a drowning man if he'd like a drink of water.

4) I don't see Tesla coming up for air until early 2019 at which point they'll need to be delivering a major refresh to the MS. Seven years is too long for any manufacturer to stand still with body design, especially when some real competition will be showing up by 2020 with completely new cars. Tesla can't afford to look like they are reacting by shipping a major styling update AFTER the competition finally arrives. The MS will need some body changes, an entirely new interior, etc. I suspect they will have continually updated the drive train so it will probably not need too much change.

With the MS v2.0 there will be a new UI, probably different displays (perhaps more or larger versions of whatever they do with the M3), etc. And that is the point at which I think they will deliver the CID apps that we expected when we bought our cars. However, I doubt those apps will run on the MS v1.0 because it's clear that the current infotainment h/w platform is significantly underpowered and they aren't going to invest a lot of resources in the "old" platform. The new apps will be written to the new platform and displays, not the ones we have in our cars today.

We're on the "bleeding edge" of a new company and this is all probably to be expected. So let's refine those media player work arounds, hope they fix the most egregious problems, and save up for a new car in 2019!

Happy New Year!
Following up on my earlier comment, I was not aware of this, but it explains why Tesla's s/w is in such disarray. Asking one exec to land rockets back on a platform, and develop AP s/w, is way too much. At the same time, the fact that there was a gaping hole in the management of such a critical s/w area can only confirm that the management of CID apps like MP and Navigation is probably almost non-existent.

With regard to AP s/w, Mr. Lattner's experience at Apple, and prior to Apple was in compilers, which is quite different than AI based real time control s/w. None the less I'm sure he'll bring a more professional approach to s/w development.

Emphasis added

"Today, Chris Lattner announced that he quit Apple after over a decade at the company where he developed the Swift programming language and worked on the Xcode and App store architecture.

Later in the day, Tesla confirmed that Lattner will be joining the automaker as Vice President of Autopilot Software.

Lattner will be replacing Jinnah Hosein, SpaceX’s Vice President of Software, who has been serving a dual role at Elon Musk’s rocket company and the automaker as the interim lead on Autopilot software.

He will be able to go back to SpaceX full-time.

Back to Lattner. The veteran software engineer, who prior to working at Apple was the lead author of the LLVM Compiler Infrastructure, will be joining the executive team of Tesla’s Autopilot program, which consists of Sterling Anderson, Director of Autopilot programs, David Nister, Vice President of Autopilot Vision, and Jim Keller, Vice-President of Autopilot Hardware Engineering, among others.

He joins the team at a critical moment, especially for the software team, as the company is working on the roll-out of the new Enhanced Autopilot software following the introduction of the second generation Autopilot hardware."

Last edited:
Still on 2.48.16. Not sure if this has been discussed. I noticed some tracks would remember where they left off and others not. At first I thought it had to do with the length of song then I realized the one song that stood out that was over an hour long would resume from where it left off was in MP3 format. When I played a different song that was over an hour long, it would go back to the very beginning. That song was in FLAC format.

FWIIW, my USB today started displaying, and playing, tracks in the correct order on albums/folders. The track number is listed, then the track title, and then the file extension. I have not had an update of any sort in 19 days. So, out of nowhere, my music is back on track. :) I am grateful, but now superstitious, and don't want to lose the ability to play my collection from start to finish as I have from the beginning of time.

Wait a day....it will change :)

I'm back to 148 albums (from 146 yesterday & of course I only have 142 actual albums)....

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Following up on my earlier comment, I was not aware of this, but it explains why Tesla's s/w is in such disarray. Asking one exec to land rockets back on a platform, and develop AP s/w, is way too much. At the same time, the fact that there was a gaping hole in the management of such a critical s/w area can only confirm that the management of CID apps like MP and Navigation is probably almost non-existent. Emphasis added.

"Today, Chris Lattner announced that he quit Apple after over a decade at the company where he developed the Swift programming language and worked on the Xcode and App store architecture.

Later in the day, Tesla confirmed that Lattner will be joining the automaker as Vice President of Autopilot Software.

Lattner will be replacing Jinnah Hosein, SpaceX’s Vice President of Software, who has been serving a dual role at Elon Musk’s rocket company and the automaker as the interim lead on Autopilot software.

He will be able to go back to SpaceX full-time.

Back to Lattner. The veteran software engineer, who prior to working at Apple was the lead author of the LLVM Compiler Infrastructure, will be joining the executive team of Tesla’s Autopilot program, which consists of Sterling Anderson, Director of Autopilot programs, David Nister, Vice President of Autopilot Vision, and Jim Keller, Vice-President of Autopilot Hardware Engineering, among others.

He joins the team at a critical moment, especially for the software team, as the company is working on the roll-out of the new Enhanced Autopilot software following the introduction of the second generation Autopilot hardware."
I hope this means we get an SDK.... since you know, he made an SDK for Apple. Plot twist, SDK is only available on Mac and CarPlay is developed instead of Android Auto. Good lord, my nightmare....

AP is probably a silo but you're right, the more experience the better.
It's almost certainly a different organization, but hopefully not a hermetically-sealed one. Which is to say, I hope they talk to each other, ask for each other's advice, and criticize each other. "Hey, why are you guys running a state-of-the-art 1980s dev process? Just asking!"

• Funny
Reactions: Boatguy and msnow