Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received update 48.1

Here is the results for USB that I have seen so far:
1. Shuffle still seems shuffled
2. Track listing and scrolling and going back and forth for USB is audio is as it should be. In other words, buttery sexy smooth with 6000+ tracks on the storage volume. Why it wasn't like that before makes me mad, but it's fixed now.
3. Album view for USB is still fricked up. If you have 10 tracks in an album, that album is listed 10 times, each sub-folder containing a different track. WHY?!?!?!
4. Navigating to an Album from the Artist selection gets you.... tracks listed and played in correct album order!
5. Searching for an Artist and Album from the Search Nothing screen (my chosen term) will give you a correct USB result, but the selection will only play ONE item from that Artist or Album so good luck listening to an entire discography from that screen.

Does Folder View still list the tracks in the wrong order? (I'm guessing it still has that bug)

My albums don't have one artist, so artist-album doesn't work.

a followup to my own post 4 weeks ago, where I reported severe lagginess in the USB player UI e.g. when switching between Favorites & Songs tabs on v9 42.2, it would take 10 seconds or more for the UI to respond to touchscreen taps...

last night I received the update to 2018.48.12.1 d6999f5

I immediately noticed today under 48.12.1 that the lagginess is gone, and now tapping to change between USB Favorites, Songs, Albums etc is immediate, just like it was prior to v9. So... thank goodness, some progress.

I haven't done any other detailed testing of the many other remaining old USB player bugs, although I notice the old off-by-one-or-more-letter bug when scrolling the right-side alpha-index is still there.
So, almost back to v8 levels of bugginess, but not back to v7 levels, let alone the superior v6 (which only had a couple of bugs)? Wow.

Does Folder View still list the tracks in the wrong order? (I'm guessing it still has that bug)

My albums don't have one artist, so artist-album doesn't work.
I always use folder view and last I checked the tracks were sorting alphabetically. (Lately I've been listening to folders in shuffle play so I haven't paid attention to sort order.)

Most of my folders sort correctly because I ripped them with track names preceded by a number -- 01"track name", 02"track name" and so forth. I like my symphony movements and movie soundtrack albums to play in order. For folders where I don't care about the order I just use shuffle play and don't care how they sort.

My longest folder is over three hours and the 37 tracks play in perfect order, due to the track numbering.

FWIW

91 pages of discussion and we are still waiting for a functioning media player... :(o_O:confused:

Hopefully they will fix the only major software issue I have with an otherwise just about perfect car.

From the original somewhat sophisticated “sound studio” interface we are left with something that looks like a high school computer lab designed it. And that comparison is an insult to the computer lab.

We are getting GPS linked mirrors in the next update. The ONLY possible thing left to address is the media player after that. Unless more fart noises are needed by EM......

Maybe they'll finally fix the mirror bug I've been on them about for over a year. When the car sits for more than about 24 hours unlocked with the mirrors folded (in the garage), the mirrors unfold when the car wakes up again. I almost took the right mirror off backing out of the garage when I didn't notice they unfolded on me.

I'm not holding my breath they'll fix the bug, the GPS linked mirrors will probably just make the mirror folding bug worse.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Maybe they'll finally fix the mirror bug I've been on them about for over a year. When the car sits for more than about 24 hours unlocked with the mirrors folded (in the garage), the mirrors unfold when the car wakes up again. I almost took the right mirror off backing out of the garage when I didn't notice they unfolded on me.

I'm not holding my breath they'll fix the bug, the GPS linked mirrors will probably just make the mirror folding bug worse.
You know, I noticed that and just figured it was my fault for hitting the button accidentally....

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I don't use twitter but I really think a ping to Elon (perhaps with a link to this string). Something like "91 pages of issues/bugs on the USB media player going back years. Any hope of a fix on the horizon?" might help... Given the volume of recent layoffs, I do not think the usb player is on their radar at all, which is so disappointing. The only chance is to keep messaging this to Elon.

I don't use twitter but I really think a ping to Elon (perhaps with a link to this string). Something like "91 pages of issues/bugs on the USB media player going back years. Any hope of a fix on the horizon?" might help... Given the volume of recent layoffs, I do not think the usb player is on their radar at all, which is so disappointing. The only chance is to keep messaging this to Elon.
I keep pointing [email protected] to this thread, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. USB search is broken, audio books are broken, file types are secret, album art is a crapshoot, and folder navigation is unintuitive (take us back to where we were in the list, not back to the top of the list).

But hell, we can get a beautiful fart interface that works great with no bugs.

I always use folder view and last I checked the tracks were sorting alphabetically. (Lately I've been listening to folders in shuffle play so I haven't paid attention to sort order.)
The bug was that they were sorting with internal coded-into-file track names. They should be sorting by filename.

Most of my folders sort correctly because I ripped them with track names preceded by a number -- 01"track name", 02"track name" and so forth. I like my symphony movements and movie soundtrack albums to play in order. For folders where I don't care about the order I just use shuffle play and don't care how they sort.

My longest folder is over three hours and the 37 tracks play in perfect order, due to the track numbering.

FWIW

Twitter's been tried. Musk needs to be buttonholed in person and told that this is a disgrace. But keep trying Twitter.

The bug was that they were sorting with internal coded-into-file track names. They should be sorting by filename.
As I mentioned before, my folder view sorts alphabetically but most of my folders sort correctly because I ripped them, from CDs years ago, with numbers prepended to the track title to ensure that they play in the correct order (because most of my ripping was audio books and it was essential that those play in the correct order on my MP3 player, so it became second nature to do it).

My two newest albums were purchased as downloads from Amazon. In folder view, both sort alphabetically by track title instead of in original track order (or file name). I didn't care since both were "best of" compilations that I listen to in shuffle play.

However, as an experiment, I just edited the track titles (with Media Monkey) on one album to prepend each with a number. Sure enough, they now sort in correct order. So, under folder view, tracks sort by the track title field.

[I'm running 2018.50.6, although it has been the same on previous recent versions.]

The Empeg software did an initial "pump" of the database whenever you pushed new media onto the device. At least I think it was called a pump. It basically scanned every file, then assigned a numeric ID to it that stayed with that file until the next time you uploaded new music and required a new scan. Think of it as a file allocation table area for your music database. What this meant as far as performance went is that navigation was always lightning quick traversing folders and selecting songs, because the software already knew where everything was. On the backend, the OS only really cared about the numeric ID, until you did a search, and then it would reference the ID3 info as needed; which it had in a primitive pivot table of sorts.

The whole thing was quite ingenious. Tesla could take chapters from that player software. And before all the naysayers start bringing up hardware limitations of the MCU..... this was all being done on a 266mhz ARM processor and 16MB of RAM. NO lag whatsoever, save for the hard drive access speed could be a problem sometimes since these were IDE laptop drives spinning at 5400rpm.

Hi all, just wanted to share my recent interaction with customer support on the USB song sorting "feature".

Sent: 2/21/2019 3:29 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Bug Report

I’ve reported this bug, which appeared in October 2016 with the release of v8, several times, but since it’s been about a year and I’ve updated my OS several times and it remains unaddressed, I thought I’d try again.

In the media player, when browsing USB songs in folder view, songs are listed alphabetically. They should be ordered by track number, or even more simply, by file name.

Thank you.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 10:35 AM Customer Support Tesla <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tesla! We really appreciate your feedback and will forwarded It to the appropriate team for consideration in future updates.

We cannot promise that this feature will be available but our team reviews every customer request seriously. We are always striving to improve our products and feedback such as yours is highly valued!

The system is designed to play files from a USB in alphabetical order. If you wish to play them by track, you can rename the titles numerically however you wish to have them ordered, then the vehicle will play them in numerical order.

Please visit our Support Page which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla
and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).

Best Regards,

Bryce | Tesla Support

Date: Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: Bug Report [ ref:_00D506dxX._500f1prGLy:ref ]
To: Customer Support Tesla <[email protected]>

If the system is “designed” that way, it’s poor design. No one wants to listen to tracks that way.

Plus it isn’t as simple as renaming the files. ALL of my files have track number at the beginning of the file name already. However the Tesla system is ordering by the internal song name tag, not the file name. I have many thousands of songs, and there is no simple way of changing song name tags within each file, nor does it really make sense for a song name to be "01-xxxx" anyway. It would be an incredible amount of work to simply overcome a poor design.

This worked correctly on version 7. Check out the Tesla motors club forums and you will find plenty of consensus that this is a poor and user unfriendly design, if indeed intentional.

Thank you.

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
Hi all, just wanted to share my recent interaction with customer support on the USB song sorting "feature".

Sent: 2/21/2019 3:29 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Bug Report

I’ve reported this bug, which appeared in October 2016 with the release of v8, several times, but since it’s been about a year and I’ve updated my OS several times and it remains unaddressed, I thought I’d try again.

In the media player, when browsing USB songs in folder view, songs are listed alphabetically. They should be ordered by track number, or even more simply, by file name.

Thank you.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 10:35 AM Customer Support Tesla <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tesla! We really appreciate your feedback and will forwarded It to the appropriate team for consideration in future updates.

We cannot promise that this feature will be available but our team reviews every customer request seriously. We are always striving to improve our products and feedback such as yours is highly valued!

The system is designed to play files from a USB in alphabetical order. If you wish to play them by track, you can rename the titles numerically however you wish to have them ordered, then the vehicle will play them in numerical order.

Please visit our Support Page which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla
and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).

Best Regards,

Bryce | Tesla Support

Date: Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: Bug Report [ ref:_00D506dxX._500f1prGLy:ref ]
To: Customer Support Tesla <[email protected]>

If the system is “designed” that way, it’s poor design. No one wants to listen to tracks that way.

Plus it isn’t as simple as renaming the files. ALL of my files have track number at the beginning of the file name already. However the Tesla system is ordering by the internal song name tag, not the file name. I have many thousands of songs, and there is no simple way of changing song name tags within each file, nor does it really make sense for a song name to be "01-xxxx" anyway. It would be an incredible amount of work to simply overcome a poor design.

This worked correctly on version 7. Check out the Tesla motors club forums and you will find plenty of consensus that this is a poor and user unfriendly design, if indeed intentional.

Thank you.
Welcome to the party....

Bryce is right, who would want to listen to an album in track order, or the way in which the artist though it should be heard?

• Funny
Reactions: ironwaffle