Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Congestion charge exemption, do you need to register your car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never applied for AutoPay, and I’ve been into London loads of times.
That website is diabolically badly designed, it’s like they’re trying 10 different ways to trick you. Really really poor show.
I can’t for the life of me get it to show me that my car has the discount.

How long did people have to wait for their CC exemption to be confirmed? I submitted the application 30 June and still waiting! Have had to put off two trips into town because of it.
Mine was less than two weeks from start to finish.

I applied for Autopay and the discount on the same day (15 June), received confirmation of discount on 24 June.

Exemption is definitely the wrong thing/language btw - it's a discount to nil for being an electric car rather than an exemption...no doubt so that the discount can/will be removed in future.

Not quite. You need to have Autopay. You are charged for entering the CC area automatically but at the same time a 100% discount is applied if you have registered.
Not sure you are correct! I registered my Tesla for the exemption for a fee (was it £10?) but did not add it to Autopay as I did not want to pay another fee. I have been into the congestion charge zone since and not received any fine.

Not sure you are correct! I registered my Tesla for the exemption for a fee (was it £10?) but did not add it to Autopay as I did not want to pay another fee. I have been into the congestion charge zone since and not received any fine.
Yep. My mistake. Basically you pay £10 each year to register your EV onto the system so that the discount is applied.

Spur of the moment trip to London tomorrow. Stopping near Tower Bridge, the car park is outside the CC zone, but it literally borders it, one wrong turn & I could be inside it.

obviously don’t have Time to register for the 100% discount, should I just pay the one off £15 in case I stray inside the zone on the way to the car park?

don’t see myself driving to Central London again in the next 12 months, so autopay doesn’t seem worth it (£10 plus £15 CC vs £15)

edit - the car park is Q-Park Tower Bridge

Last edited:
I live within the charging zone, and cannot leave my garage without being immediately inside the zone on a chargeable street. There was previously a resident’s discount but registration for this is now suspended so it’s a daily charge for anyone living in the zone. Registration for either the residents discount or the zero emission discount requires a V5.

So, on buying a new Model 3 about a month ago, I registered for autopay, while waiting for the V5 to arrive (logic being, better to pay the standard charge than a penalty, whilst lacking any discount).

I drove daily in the zone for about two weeks before the V5 arrived, expecting autopay to charge me daily. I was not charged for any of the days despite no zero emission discount being in place. And, received an end of month statement showing zero charge.

Eventually the V5 arrived and I applied for the zero emission discount, this being approved about a month after purchasing the vehicle.

Still no charges for any prior charging days… not a clue why, as even if the discount was applied retroactively they should still have been charged within a day or two…

Spur of the moment trip to London tomorrow. Stopping near Tower Bridge, the car park is outside the CC zone, but it literally borders it, one wrong turn & I could be inside it.

obviously don’t have Time to register for the 100% discount, should I just pay the one off £15 in case I stray inside the zone on the way to the car park?

don’t see myself driving to Central London again in the next 12 months, so autopay doesn’t seem worth it (£10 plus £15 CC vs £15)

edit - the car park is Q-Park Tower Bridge

Obviously it depends which direction you are coming from, but you should be really ok with avoiding the CC for that car park if you are coming from outside the zone - its a fair way from the charging border and the main roads leading to it are generally outside as well. There's only one road I can think of where you'd possibly stray, but you'd still be trying fairly hard to get there.

Put "avoid tolls" on your GPS and you should be fine.

After nearly three weeks with TfL, my CC exemption (for a Tesla)...has been rejected.

My lease company only provided a DVLA database return and a letter confirming it was a leased vehicle and apparently this wasn't sufficient. They must have the V5C. What an absolute shower.

After nearly three weeks with TfL, my CC exemption (for a Tesla)...has been rejected.

My lease company only provided a DVLA database return and a letter confirming it was a leased vehicle and apparently this wasn't sufficient. They must have the V5C. What an absolute shower.
Nonsense, I've leased and didn't give them V5C.

Just search for the car on the following website, save the page as PDF and upload that

Get vehicle information from DVLA

Edit: I know you apparently don't need to set up auto pay but perhaps it will help to do that first, then apply for discount on that vehicle.

Edit: I know you apparently don't need to set up auto pay but perhaps it will help to do that first, then apply for discount on that vehicle.

Mine was registered on Autopay, then approved for CZ discount within 2 days just with a dvla page phonescreen screenshot. the screen shot didn't even show the reg and emissions details/fuel type on one page, had to be over two separate pictures.

Reactions: bhav
I'm glad I read this thread.
I'm visiting London next weekend and have braved the registration process.
I can confirm the website is an absolute disgrace - it is so clunky!
The first problem I had was creating an account for the London Road User Charging Account.
I cannot believe what they have done - in creating the Account it gives you a unique 10 digit User ID.
If you log out of the account without recording those 10 digits - you can't get back in!
I ended up recreating the Account - there was no Acknowledgement email sending you a record of your account details!
They do send you an email when you validate your registered email account - but that hasn't got any useful information with it.
I thought I would be able to get in with my email address and password - but NO!
I then thought I'd be able to get in with the answers to the 3 security questions (they ask for 3 security questions) - but again that required the 10 digit User ID!
Anybody would surely be more likely to remember their own password than a random 10-digits they seen twice?

Then the actual registration page is hidden away. I mean really hidden away! If I hadn't visited this thread I would have given up.
Here is my route in: Click-on My Discounts Section
Select Apply for a Discount
Select Clean Vehicle Discount (CVD)
Then a button appears (forgotten what it says - but that takes you to a place where you complete the process.
Actually, looking at the above it doesn't seem so hard - but it didn't feel easy at the time!
Then I :
  • Uploaded my VC5 photos - that was easy.
  • Paid my £10 - that was easy.
Oh, and whilst I've been having my little rant I've received an email - NO correction, I've received 2 emails from [email protected]
Subject: "TfL - London Road User Charging - Account Registration"!
And would you believe it I have registered twice!
I have created two separate accounts (with their own 10 digit IDs) - and I have successfully registered twice.
Ah well at least it didn't take the "up to 10 days..." they warned of.
Oh, and as a last thought if you started looking at the Congestion Charge issue and landed on the ULEZ and LEZ pages - if you didn't know better (i.e. reading this thread) you could be forgiven for stopping here after finding your Tesla wasn't required to pay - and ending up being Fined for not Registering for the Congestion Charge exemption.