Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: service plan/upgradability/speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are they talking 4G or 4G LTE? I seem to recall reading that the chip supports 4G (which is really an enhancement to 3G) but not LTE. On my iphone 5 on ATT, 4G gives me a transfer rate of about 2.5 Mbps, whereas LTE gives me over 12.7 Mbps. Big difference.

I think what needs to be stated is whether it is LTE or whether it is really just the marketing of this creatively fabricated notion of "4G." The latter suggests that the speed of "4G" could be achieved by the chip set in the Tesla.

Sent via Tapatalk...cool.

Are they talking 4G or 4G LTE? I seem to recall reading that the chip supports 4G (which is really an enhancement to 3G) but not LTE. On my iphone 5 on ATT, 4G gives me a transfer rate of about 2.5 Mbps, whereas LTE gives me over 12.7 Mbps. Big difference.

Maybe Tesla is being technically accurate and calling AT&T's '4G' what it is which is a version of 3G? LTE is what is needed although haven't had too many problems with it's current 3G speed. Still fairly responsive but a little slow for satellite image updates on the map.

I'm close to finalizing my order - and just got off the phone with a Tesla rep to review some of my questions before I make my final decision on placing the order now, deferring, or cancelling.

The answers for all of my questions were what I expected (disappointing - but not unexpected) - with one exception.

At least this is what I was told - THERE WILL BE NO 4G IN THE MODEL S - and that TESLA NEVER COMMITTED TO HAVE 4G.

They are still finalizing the plans and pricing for the 3G service - which is the last major item remaining to be announced for Model S.

As for supporting higher data rates - and this was new to me - YOU MUST CONNECT TO YOUR PHONE VIA USB.

He specifically said USB and not BT - which is surprising... What might make even more sense would be to connect via WiFi - so the cell phone would be just like a WiFi hotspot at home.

How it was explained - is that this will "future proof" the car - to handle higher data rates through the cell phones - rather than being locked into the hardware delivered in the original Model S.

One advantage of this - since I'm on Sprint - is that I wouldn't have an additional data charge - because my current Sprint plan (until they change their policy) provides for unlimited data (unless I used Sprint's WiFi hotspot feature).

But, from what I've seen from other car manufacturers, pairing the phone for Internet can be problematic - and, at least with my PC, setting up a USB connection requires manual work on the phone everytime to activate the connection - not something that is automatic and simple like BT pairing for phone & audio or using a WiFi hotspot.

So was this Tesla rep right about no 4G in the car - and the use of cell phones for higher speed data rates?

I don't currently have a plan that supports tethering with my iPhone, but I wouldn't mind switching to one if it simplifies things.

The key is "simplifies". If I have to enable a Wi-Fi tethering mode every time I get in the car, that's not simple. If I have to plug USB into the car every time, that's not simple. If the car can pair up via Bluetooth when I get in, seamlessly, then that's simple. I don't even know if the iPhone supports tethering via BT, much less the Tesla.

Edit: iPhone does support BT tethering. No idea if it's seamless though.

Not having a smart phone, I have no idea how the Model S is going to work for me on connectivity. Does it have it's own? Who do I pay for that and how much? What if I don't want to pay for connectivity, what happens to the Google Map based nav system? What happens when my wife, who does have a smart phone, drives? Will it use that connectivity, but not use any when I'm driving?

@ckessel; you'll find most of the answers back up this thread, the latest being 2 posts back from yours. Tesla hasn't announced anything on costs yet.
Maybe we have a different definition of "answer" as I don't see much in bob_p's post that helps answer any of my questions, other than pricing is unknown.

Edit: I'm not actually expecting answers to some of them at this point since it's still a Tesla work in progress. I'll need answers at some point. Some of it is simply ignorance on how smart phone connectivity/pairing works at all. My biggest question is what, if anything, is crippled in the Model S without a data plan?

Maybe we have a different definition of "answer" as I don't see much in bob_p's post that helps answer any of my questions, other than pricing is unknown.

Edit: I'm not actually expecting answers to some of them at this point since it's still a Tesla work in progress. I'll need answers at some point. Some of it is simply ignorance on how smart phone connectivity/pairing works at all. My biggest question is what, if anything, is crippled in the Model S without a data plan?

or without a cell phone at all

My biggest question is what, if anything, is crippled in the Model S without a data plan?

This is my concern as well. Although I don't feel as though I should have to, I could quite painlessly tether my phone via wifi or USB to the Model S. But I don't always bring my phone wherever I go.

My larger fear is that Tesla will require some plan to be purchased.

Sent via Tapatalk.

I live in the middle of BFE and have to use an old iphone with 3G unlimited as my internet (we have no cable, no Verizon fios, no ATT ... and heck if I am paying for DSL at the speed of smell, or Sat internet). Anyhow, once P188 arrives, I am taking that out of the house and putting it in the car (tethered) and will change the house over to a T-Mobile hotspot at 4G that has a good signal profile for my location. I am not too worried about the connectivity speed, as I don't really care too much about the maps, but Pandora and TuneIn are quite important to me. WGR550 was too, until the blasted NHL lockout.

Anyway, that is my plan, and I am sticking to it.

My larger fear is that Tesla will require some plan to be purchased.

Either:

1) The carrier will require some sort of plan (and from what I understand they've not been helpful or quick when it comes to negotiations), or
2) Tesla will swallow the cost for some amount of time (seems they are doing this for Sigs for the first year)

I'm pretty certain that the majority of us would rather be able to tether to our existing phones instead.

Either:

1) The carrier will require some sort of plan (and from what I understand they've not been helpful or quick when it comes to negotiations), or
2) Tesla will swallow the cost for some amount of time (seems they are doing this for Sigs for the first year)

I'm pretty certain that the majority of us would rather be able to tether to our existing phones instead.
I assume if you opt out of 3G connectivity then Tesla will disable access to the 3G for anything except their diagnostics and pay the bill for that themselves just like they do for Roadsters today. It will then be up to you to get the car access for software updates, web browsing, nav, etc.

I assume if you opt out of 3G connectivity then Tesla will disable access to the 3G for anything except their diagnostics and pay the bill for that themselves just like they do for Roadsters today. It will then be up to you to get the car access for software updates, web browsing, nav, etc.
You should still be able to use Wifi once that is activated for software updates at least.

I really doubt this. Both att and t-mobile have NO coverage in quite a few parts of the US.

Why would anybody be forced to pay for a plan and get no coverage where they live? I doubt that would even be legal. Makes very little sense.
Either:

Either:

Well, I see that as a semantic difference. To rephrase: I fear that I will be required to buy some plan for connectivity that I see better served by tethering my phone.

On the other hand, the cellular service in my area provided by Sprint, which contracts with my employer, stinks. Perhaps whatever service is in the Model S will be better.

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed this on the Tesla bulletin board.

WHEN IS TESLA GOING TO ANNOUNCE CONNECTIVITY PRICING?

In fact, a whole bunch of posts...