Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant cracking sound in speakers; sporadic loss of audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consider yourself lucky. Mine has never worked correctly in 11 months, however it was only recently that it became completely unusable. I'm not exaggerating either. I have not been able to make a decent Bluetooth phone call since February 2022 — except for in the junker Prius I bought for four grand in 2018. That one somehow works perfectly.
Yikes, sorry to hear that.

MN, let us know why the SC says.
Well, I heard back from service. They confirmed through remote diagnostics that it’s not hardware (thankfully). Apparently it’s a well documented and known issue that engineering is working to resolve as soon as possible. According to them, the current 2/14 update does not include this fix unfortunately. They expect it in “another couple weeks.”

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
Well, I heard back from service. They confirmed through remote diagnostics that it’s not hardware (thankfully). Apparently it’s a well documented and known issue that engineering is working to resolve as soon as possible. According to them, the current 2/14 update does not include this fix unfortunately. They expect it in “another couple weeks.”
Don’t get too excited. They’ve told some people another couple weeks in July 2022.

I don't have any crackling but I'm getting sporadic pauses in the music from all sources. Picture the kids in the back seat singing along to Taylor Swift and then the timing between their singing and the music is all off because Tesla can't manage to keep an audio player working correctly. Maybe the CPU is too busy processing reasons to phantom brake with our recent downgrade to Tesla Vision. Well, no, it even does it when the car is in Park.

Now that I see this is not just crackling, but also audio pauses, I think you can add me to the list. I could not get music to reliably play from a USB drive on Christmas Eve, though I chalked that up to the drive as Spotify worked fine. However now with Spotify I will hear periodic pauses/skips that are too brief for it to be a connectivity issue. They are not frequent, but they happen enough that I just remembered them.

I don't have any crackling but I'm getting sporadic pauses in the music from all sources. Picture the kids in the back seat singing along to Taylor Swift and then the timing between their singing and the music is all off because Tesla can't manage to keep an audio player working correctly. Maybe the CPU is too busy processing reasons to phantom brake with our recent downgrade to Tesla Vision. Well, no, it even does it when the car is in Park.
Yeah, the “kids singing along to Taylor Swift”, huh? :D

Seriously though, same issues here. I’ve tried to relate it to CPU usage, but it’s completely random for me. One time it will be when I use the turn signal, one time when I change volume, or just when I’m driving, or in park, or….it’s anytime at random. Eight hours of driving this weekend will give me plenty of time to curse and complain about it and realize again it’s completely random and Tesla probably won’t fix it.

• Funny
Reactions: COS Blue
Consider yourself lucky. Mine has never worked correctly in 11 months, however it was only recently that it became completely unusable. I'm not exaggerating either. I have not been able to make a decent Bluetooth phone call since February 2022 — except for in the junker Prius I bought for four grand in 2018. That one somehow works perfectly.
My 2013 Volt, likewise. Always got the contact right, always made the right call, never had an audio problem. I do love my Model S but it's pretty depressing that its phone/audio system ("Call Danny Houghton" becomes "call Denver Platypus") is so bad.

Same issue here (frequent and sporadic audio pauses, occasionally popping sounds) on a 2016 MS with the MCU2 upgrade. It's definitely an issue of pausing, ie all the audio plays just with a gap, not cutting out and missing parts, which makes me think it's a load issue and something can't keep up.

For me it affects Tidal, TuneIn (as others have noted, the regular tuner has never worked properly since the MCU2 and tuner upgrade, but according to SC that's a known issue), Bluetooth, the navigation announcements and even the indicator sound! I've reported it to Tesla service.

I am having similar issue on my 2021 Model S. I'm in Seattle, WA. Increasingly experiencing "glitches" (crackling sound) on FM and SXM, particularly when i use left thumbwheel to adjust volume. Cannot recreate the problem when playing music from Apple Music. Definitly an issue with radio frequencies, SXM, and i think Spotify. Problem is getting worse.
A couple of weeks ago I had a similar problem with my 2021 Model Y that seemed to get worse every day. Then a couple of days ago, my car rebooted on it's own and the problem appears to be resolved.

Not a damn thing! This is wild…what on earth could be the problem? There is no way Tesla employees including Musk do not have the same issue. Unlistenable at times.
I’m guessing they are all driving ‘22 Plaids that probably do not have this issue. I think it’s primarily older X/S with MCU2…

As Pop mentioned earlier, I’d LOVE to see a poll on this to see how many people report the problem.

I’m guessing they are all driving ‘22 Plaids that probably do not have this issue. I think it’s primarily older X/S with MCU2…

As Pop mentioned earlier, I’d LOVE to see a poll on this to see how many people report the problem.
No sir. I have a MS20 and the recent update did nothing to resolve the issue is what I was attempting to say. I thought they were a software company? I excuse them for not having AM stations now this….

2018 Model S with the same problem, audio from any source (streaming, Tunein, Bluetooth, USB) HICCUPS intermittently for about a second. I have opened two cases, both of which were closed saying they had remotely diagnosed my problem as a known firmware issue that will be addressed in a future update, but no indication of when. Very frustrating!!