Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports: Model X - Least Reliable Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
The Model X is applauded by Consumer Reports to be listed in the Top 10 least reliable car list: 10 Least Reliable Cars

The Model S however is now recommended.

I don't think the X deserves this, I have had issues but they were all cosmetics and my doors never failed:
5 Month Model X Experience + Build Quality

This is gonna hurt Tesla and will reduce our resell value. Why can't Tesla at least give consumer reports a flawless vehicle? Even my X is better than the one they received!

I guess it depends on the definition of reliability and how far they take it. If it is about driving itself I'd say X is very reliable from what we've seen. If it expands to be quality of other items in the car working reliably, defects in production build quality, and other issues (things loose, aligned, cosmetic, paint, etc.) then I'd agree that the X is one of the lesser reliable cars for 2016 - at least sampling the first 0-20,000 builds.

Consumer Report reports,

Tesla's new Model X crossover — and its signature falcon-wing doors — weighed heavily on the decision.

"The Model X launched with abundant problems, including frequent malfunctions of the falcon-wing doors, water leaks, and infotainment and climate-control system problems," noted a release from Consumer Reports."

I did have, if it is part of the climate-control problem, an awful intermittent rattling sound when the compressor kicks in, however, it is a little better since having the car returned from the service center but the noise does continue.

Consumer Report reports,

Tesla's new Model X crossover — and its signature falcon-wing doors — weighed heavily on the decision.

"The Model X launched with abundant problems, including frequent malfunctions of the falcon-wing doors, water leaks, and infotainment and climate-control system problems," noted a release from Consumer Reports."

I did have, if it is part of the climate-control problem, an awful intermittent rattling sound when the compressor kicks in, however, it is a little better since having the car returned from the service center but the noise does continue.

My AC is also loud, but I heard that after getting the lines swapped the AC sounds normal? I wouldn't call it a reliability issue as our AC's still work despite the noise rather I would call it a quality issue

Reactions: MP3Mike
Why can't Tesla at least give consumer reports a flawless vehicle?

You do know that one of the reasons Consumer Reports exists is that they refuse to be supplied with products and use anonymous buyers to purchase the products they review through the regular consumer channels, right? There is no way for Tesla to "give them" a specially vetted car, or to even know which of the thousands of new owners that took possession of their new car in a showroom were actually purchasers working for CR...

You do know that one of the reasons Consumer Reports exists is that they refuse to be supplied with products and use anonymous buyers to purchase the products they review through the regular consumer channels, right? There is no way for Tesla to "give them" a specially vetted car, or to even know which of the thousands of new owners that took possession of their new car in a showroom were actually purchasers working for CR...

If I tell Tesla service I am from consumer reports, will I get better service? :)

I wouldn't really do that...or would I?

Would I get a service appointment in 2-3 days instead of weeks?
Would I get my issues resolved during the first visit?
Would I receive better communication on the status of my car?
Would Tesla service treat me like Elon?

Should I cancel my order?

The ranking is based on the very first Model X until about those manufactured 2.5 months ago.

The first 6 months or so of Model X production Tesla was in manufacturing hell.

The ones being made now should be about average in reliability.

And Tesla is very good about fixing issues and not fighting/blaming you for the problem.

This is gonna hurt Tesla and will reduce our resell value. Why can't Tesla at least give consumer reports a flawless vehicle? Even my X is better than the one they received!

1) It is going to hurt resale value for 1 year. Just like Model S improved from last year so will Model X next year. I predict with great confidence Model X will tally up average reliability in next years survey.

2) CR buys cars anonymously. If Automakers could give CR ringers then the rankings would be irrelevant.

Hopefully Tesla will step up further to fix their problems. I am not going to lie, I had FWD problem ripping my chrome trim a and tore the door gasket right on my delivery day which left a bitter taste. I couldn't even take my car home and they had to drive my car back to me with 30miles on it after the repair. I've never had such bad experience with all the brand new cars I've gotten including multiple Mercedes, BMWs, and Porsche.

I am not surprised CR is giving them a F. It's been 9 months in production and they still have issues. They deserve it. I do wish they continue to improve the car and spend more resources on the infortainment system. Sure they are also a technology system and need to continue to innovate, but everything is half baked and nothing is complete on the tech side of things.

I still like the car but there are definitely rooms for improvement (or bug fixes?)

My AC is also loud, but I heard that after getting the lines swapped the AC sounds normal? I wouldn't call it a reliability issue as our AC's still work despite the noise rather I would call it a quality issue

Edmunds just posted that their long-term test X has the same thing. Rest of their issues have just been minor problems. They buy their cars anonymous as well but on the S they bought Tesla service figured out they owned it and started giving them somewhat special treatment.

Noisy Air Conditioning - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Hopefully Tesla will step up further to fix their problems. I am not going to lie, I had FWD problem ripping my chrome trim a and tore the door gasket right on my delivery day which left a bitter taste. I couldn't even take my car home and they had to drive my car back to me with 30miles on it after the repair. I've never had such bad experience with all the brand new cars I've gotten including multiple Mercedes, BMWs, and Porsche.

I am not surprised CR is giving them a F. It's been 9 months in production and they still have issues. They deserve it. I do wish they continue to improve the car and spend more resources on the infortainment system. Sure they are also a technology system and need to continue to innovate, but everything is half baked and nothing is complete on the tech side of things.

I still like the car but there are definitely rooms for improvement (or bug fixes?)
I agree 100% with you. Be careful posting negatives on the message boards though, some on these sites thing you should only post positives and not share your real experiences. I think long term the drive train is very well vetted and mostly reliable. I had a bitter taste as the supposedly much improved sales and delivery experience of Tesla was actually one of the most frustrating. Picked up my wife's new Lexus on Saturday. It was trucked in from a dealer 300 miles away in one day and delivery took less than hour. Vehicle was flawless and that is what Tesla should be shooting for. I wanted her to buy a Model S even with the problems I had on the X but she refused after the issues we had, especially getting misled on the sales and delivery side. People are willing to pay top dollar for a vehicle but it should also be a top dollar experience.

From the same article....

Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 5.33.16 PM.png

I agree 100% with you. Be careful posting negatives on the message boards though, some on these sites thing you should only post positives and not share your real experiences. I think long term the drive train is very well vetted and mostly reliable. I had a bitter taste as the supposedly much improved sales and delivery experience of Tesla was actually one of the most frustrating. Picked up my wife's new Lexus on Saturday. It was trucked in from a dealer 300 miles away in one day and delivery took less than hour. Vehicle was flawless and that is what Tesla should be shooting for. I wanted her to buy a Model S even with the problems I had on the X but she refused after the issues we had, especially getting misled on the sales and delivery side. People are willing to pay top dollar for a vehicle but it should also be a top dollar experience.
Yes I am aware of that as I've gotten a few dislikes on some negative I said about Tesla. However, that does not discourage me from stating facts and truths. My experience with Tesla is true to heart and I am not claiming anything without merit.

As someone said on the forum before, Tesla looks great from far, but it is far from good when you look close. I will continue to play the devil's advocate here and share my experience.