Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convincing landlord - NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - working on an email to my landlord to get approval to install a NEMA 14-50 in my rented garage. Offering to pay for the installation, subsequent electricity charges and maintenance. The garage is exclusive to me, no other tenants use it for parking, and I'm located in San Francisco (property has less than five parking spaces so Assembly Bill 2565 do not apply).

Looking for arguments, smart messaging, etc. for why my landlord should be convinced to provide approval for the install.

Thanks in advance!

Is he giving you pushback? If you're paying for everything I don't understand what the objection is. When I've done improvements to rented places in the past I would offer to split the cost with the landlord.

Does the garage already have a sub panel?

At our current rented place we just installed the 14-50s ourselves... helps when your roommate is an electrician!

If you're going to pay for it, i can't imagine why they wouldn't allow this. In many places in CA, new construction must come equipped with a Level 2 charging outlet. I wouldn't be surprised if there are laws that require adding one during a remodel and maybe even at a certain point in time, regardless of when a structure was built.

Basically, the landlord will have to install one eventually (most likely) so why not do it now when you are kind enough to pay for some of it? Increase home value (might get a rebate from power company too) and makes it more attractive for future renters!

Looking at it from a landlord perspective: I would object to it being a DIY project, but if the renter is willing to pay for it, and it is all done under code, I don't see the problem. A good landlord will have umbrella insurance coverage for the place in case workers have an accident and decide to sue.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Suggestion: get a formal quote first from a certified, bonded and insured electrician. Provide that in your letter and I think he/she will immediately see how this is advantageous to the future rentability of the property and will keep you as a tenant even longer. I wish you were one of my tenants.

That's the way to do it. MAKE sure they know it will be professionally installed.

I can't tell you how many times tenants have painted rooms with BRIGHT paint. One time RED and BLACK stripes !

Or nail holes. I can see 20-40 but one tenant used a stapler to put up posters and used 40-50 staples per poster. EIGHT HUNDRED small holes.

Being a land lord is a PAIN.

Last edited:
Reactions: EchoDelta
Selling points: You get to enjoy it while you are there (and would probably continue to renew instead of looking for a place down the road with it--wouldn't say that to him but I'd be thinking it!), and the EV faster charging capability for future tenants will be a leasing point for him in the future. With newer EVs coming out with bigger batteries, a 110 just really doesn't cut it so much in what car owners will want to use.

If I was the landlord the only way I would agree is if a licensed electrician did the work and any city permit were applied for, and I assume the tenant pays for the electrical use on their bill not on the landlords. If you have nice landlord who sees the benefit to having this done, maybe he would split the costs of installation and permit since he will reap some of those benefits down the road. Instead of offering everything out of the gate in the way of expense/permit, maybe send a letter just asking him how he feels about having the garage electrical updated to having a NEMA 14-50. See where the conversation goes from there.

You might want to get a quote or two ahead of time so you really know what you are looking at and find out about permits. The work might entail more than you want to layout.

Last edited:
Email exchange with my landlord went basically like this:

<me> "Do you mind if I have an electrician install a power outlet for an electric car?"
<landlord> "If you're paying and the house doesn't catch fire as a result, go for it"
We might have the same landlord, but when I followed up with
"Now I want to put up PV for the EV,"
He said "Cool."

• Funny
Reactions: run-the-joules
Hey all - thanks for your suggestions. It will be installed by an elecritician. I’m anticipating pushback only because my landlord has a “everything is a nusance” type attitude. My worry is he won’t even take the time to understand the long term benefit to him.

From a negotiating standpoint, would it make sense to start with asking to split it with him (because: increases value of property and he can write it off) and if he balks at that, THEN offer to pay for everything?

I truly think that's fair, but you're right that if he wouldn't want to be bothered with it, that may trump fairness and level-headedness. But yeh - I'd hit him with the going dutch proposition first (including pro install quote, permitting, reasons why it's smart for him and why he has nothing to worry about, etc...) and then follow up with offer to pay for everything if need be.

Reactions: KJD and bhzmark
If one of my tenants offered to install it and ran the plans by me and gave me the name of the electrical company, I'd absolutely not object. I already looked into putting one in to attract tenants with electric cars but it was gonna cost $5k since it has a long distance to go outside.

Also if he absorbs part or all of the costs, can't he use that as a capital improvement to his building for tax purposes?

general ramblings IANAL YMMV:
Improvements are usually depreciated, repairs are expenses so patching a roof is a straight income deduction, but replacing a roof is a 20+ year depreciation.
Adding an EV lug would likely fall under the improvement category, but may have bonus depreciation aspects.

Try talking to him first, ideally in person, and perhaps showing him the car. For some people that may be effective at getting him to be more sympathetic. Then spilt cost as your first ask is good too.

Looking at it from a landlord perspective: I would object to it being a DIY project, but if the renter is willing to pay for it, and it is all done under code, I don't see the problem. A good landlord will have umbrella insurance coverage for the place in case workers have an accident and decide to sue.
Typically, it is the renter that provides the insurance. See below.

Update: you all have convinced me. I'm going to start with offering to pay half. Appreciate the thoughts and discussion, if it wasn't for you guys I'd have offered to cover the full cost straight away and left myself no room for negotiation. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.
In California, there are laws already on the books mandating that charging be allowed. However, there are plenty of exemptions, and I believe yours may be one, being a single garage. To paraphrase the law, a renter must pay for everything, including the cost of installation, permits, electricity and an insurance policy of $1,000,000 (I believe) that specifically names the property as a covered entity. If your landlord is somewhat of a curmudgeon, good luck with getting him to pay half, even if your reasoning makes sense.

Typically, it is the renter that provides the insurance. See below.

In California, there are laws already on the books mandating that charging be allowed. However, there are plenty of exemptions, and I believe yours may be one, being a single garage. To paraphrase the law, a renter must pay for everything, including the cost of installation, permits, electricity and an insurance policy of $1,000,000 (I believe) that specifically names the property as a covered entity. If your landlord is somewhat of a curmudgeon, good luck with getting him to pay half, even if your reasoning makes sense.

It the is law you are referring to?
Related link.
Yeah, under the terms you listed above, the landlord is required to let you do it, unfortunately, like you said, it does not apply if there are less than 5 parking spots.
So, from this, there is no leverage to force landlord to allow it, so ask nicely. :)