Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cops don't like losing to a Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah its called exhibition of speed, but most cops are *&^()^%$ for the most part and have deep psychological issues. I have two cops in my family and know a few more as friends. they all have ptsd problems and authority issues. kind of sad really, love them to death but it really messes them up sometimes.

This thread makes me think not too many know the story of 29 year old Elon wrecking his million dollar McClaren. His famous last words to his passenger - fellow PayPal mafia don Peter Thiel - was "Watch this!" And when they emerged unscathed, Musk told his partner:

"You wanna know the best thing about all this? I mean, besides the fact that we're late to a critical meeting with our VCs? It's uninsured."

We've all done stupid things. Bad decisions make for great stories (and lessons learned.)

For those saying flooring it on public roads is harmless, I'll leave this video I came across recently (it was roughly 5 seconds after launch when he lost control, so he was going about 80 at the most going by MotorTrend's numbers):
http://jalopnik.com/watch-this-c7-corvette-z06-crash-into-a-tree-1706493325
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1502_2015_chevrolet_corvette_z06_first_test/

While most would say it would be "impossible" given the AWD and traction/stability control of the P85D to lose control in such a way (and the tires wouldn't be struggling to get a grip like it did in that video), keep in mind the "exhibition of speed" laws are designed to cover all vehicles (many of which are not AWD and may not have traction/stability control). I would say there is some legitimacy to such laws.

On a drag strip, if you lose control in such a way, you crash into a barrier. On the road however, you may crash into another car or pedestrian. It is best to save such shenanigans for the track.

For those saying flooring it on public roads is harmless, I'll leave this video I came across recently (it was roughly 5 seconds after launch when he lost control, so he was going about 80 at the most going by MotorTrend's numbers):
http://jalopnik.com/watch-this-c7-corvette-z06-crash-into-a-tree-1706493325
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1502_2015_chevrolet_corvette_z06_first_test/

There's a very important PSA in that article, right below the embedded video. I'd hate to see it overlooked:

But that doesn’t touch on the real tragedy of this video: it was shot vertically. Come on, guys, it’s 2015. Turn your phone on its side.

For those saying flooring it on public roads is harmless, I'll leave this video I came across recently (it was roughly 5 seconds after launch when he lost control, so he was going about 80 at the most going by MotorTrend's numbers)

That video is a really good demonstration of why wheel spinning is the thing that is the hallmark of successful prosecutions. It isn't nearly as amusing as my all-time favorite:

Last edited by a moderator:
That video is a really good demonstration of why wheel spinning is the thing that is the hallmark of successful prosecutions. It isn't nearly as amusing as my all-time favorite:

This is also why it is important to always check your tire pressure in your Model S. You never want to allow a 1.5 psi difference between the wheels! ;)

*Correction anywhere from $57,000 to $120,000+.

I wonder how many people buy a new Model S for 57K. Lets be realistic please, this is for all practical purposes atleast an 90K car.
Nice car, cutting edge technology, dedicated community, environment friendly and fanboyism I get it, I get it, I really do!
But don't tell me this is being sold at 57K.
The creative math on Tesla's ordering page reeks of a used car salesman with a yellow clip-on tie.

Lets do some reverse creative math.
Add sales tax, minus tax breaks.
Add the cost of clear coat/xpel etc.
The 1200 delivery fee.
Add the cost of your hourly rate * time you will spend charging on long drives + invconvenience of finding chargers.

Seriously, lets be realistic. This is NOT a 57K car. 90-100K is more realistic.
How much did you spend on yours?

And yes, for that much money, it is a shame that you have to step outside in the cold, take your gloves off, and check each tire, one by one, AT A GAS STATION!

I wonder how many people buy a new Model S for 57K. Lets be realistic please, this is for all practical purposes atleast an 90K car.
Nice car, cutting edge technology, dedicated community, environment friendly and fanboyism I get it, I get it, I really do!
But don't tell me this is being sold at 57K.
The creative math on Tesla's ordering page reeks of a used car salesman with a yellow clip-on tie.

Lets do some reverse creative math.
Add sales tax, minus tax breaks.
Add the cost of clear coat/xpel etc.
The 1200 delivery fee.
Add the cost of your hourly rate * time you will spend charging on long drives + invconvenience of finding chargers.
The 70D has pretty much everything you need as standard. If I lived in California, I wouldn't have any problem with buying a 70D + metallic paint for about 73,900 USD after incentives and including tax and 1,200 USD delivery fee.

That is the lowest price I would consider realistic. So 90k is too high, and 57k is too low.

The 70D has pretty much everything you need as standard. If I lived in California, I wouldn't have any problem with buying a 70D + metallic paint for about 73,900 USD after incentives and including tax and 1,200 USD delivery fee.

That is the lowest price I would consider realistic. So 90k is too high, and 57k is too low.

Exactly! 74K with,

70D
all base options, not even tech package,
and not counting registration/plug installation/xpel/opticoat etc. etc.

74K is the entry ticket to this party! I don't know why people throw around the 57K number.
Gas savings are nullified by higher insurance costs IMO. But even if you count gas savings, IT STILL ISN'T 57K :)

And lets be honest, if you are buying a Model S, even if it is 70D, you will at the very least get the tech package, atleast 99.99% of us will.

MOST buyers will go for 85D plus a few options = slightly over 100K.
Even if you go for 70D, it's still slightly over 90K.

And majority of us don't live in CA :), most states don't have any income tax reduction benefit (only 6 of them do).

So yes, in reality, it is a 100K car, give or take! Stop throwing the 57K number around.

BTW, in Norway, 100K = 775K NOK (600NOK a year ago) bought you a decent car, but not a crazy high end car.
100K here buys you Audi A7, MB S430, etc. And EV benefits here are nearly not as good as they are in Norway.

Its still a nice car, don't get me wrong.
But people need to stop throwing around the 57K entry price sticker, because that is a bunch of horsepoo.

Exactly! 74K with,

70D
all base options, not even tech package,
and not counting registration/plug installation/xpel/opticoat etc. etc.

74K is the entry ticket to this party! I don't know why people throw around the 57K number.
Gas savings are nullified by higher insurance costs IMO. But even if you count gas savings, IT STILL ISN'T 57K :)

And lets be honest, if you are buying a Model S, even if it is 70D, you will at the very least get the tech package, atleast 99.99% of us will.
The tech package has been discontinued. After they rolled a lot of those features into the base model, I don't see any reason why you need to equip a car much more above base. Metallic paint is the only thing I would really recommend to a potential buyer that they should include. (Plus winter tires here in Norway.)

Also, most people don't do xpel/opticoat or the like. And a plug installation doesn't have much to do with the car, it will still have value in 20 years, long after you've moved on to another car. If you count the plug installation you could just as easily count the cost of the garage.

MOST buyers will go for 85D plus a few options = slightly over 100K.
Even if you go for 70D, it's still slightly over 90K.
I think 85D sales will suffer with the introduction of the 70D. Those extra 15 kWh just aren't worth 10k. And while most buyers will probably opt for a few options, there's absolutely no reason why not to buy a base 70D for 74k.

And majority of us don't live in CA :), most states don't have any income tax reduction benefit (only 6 of them do).
A large percentage of Tesla buyers live in California.

So yes, in reality, it is a 100K car, give or take! Stop throwing the 57K number around.

BTW, in Norway, 100K = 775K NOK (600NOK a year ago) bought you a decent car, but not a crazy high end car.
100K here buys you Audi A7, MB S430, etc. And EV benefits here are nearly not as good as they are in Norway.

Its still a nice car, don't get me wrong.
But people need to stop throwing around the 57K entry price sticker, because that is a bunch of horsepoo.
I agree 57k is too low a figure to use. 74k-145k is more realistic.

Last edited:

This is also why it is important to always check your tire pressure in your Model S. You never want to allow a 1.5 psi difference between the wheels! ;)
My 8 year old Acura shows tire pressures of each tire accurately. Unfortunately, Tesla doesn't. Isn't that a shame for a 100K car?

Darn, my winking smiley wasn't explicit enough. The owner of the BMW M4 that LetsGoFast linked to posted in one of the Bimmer Forums a long explanation of what happened and included how one tire had was 1.5 psi over inflated compared to the others and how he should never had left the imbalance like that. It was a running joke on Jalopnik everytime there was a post about a boneheaded move that someone would chime in that the tire pressure was off by 1.5 psi.

From the last post on this link:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075458&page=3
I mentioned earlier that I had incorrect PSI - let me explain. My PSI was low, so I inflated it a bit with a pump with an analog tire guage which of course is very imprecise compared to a digital gauge. I noticed that my right tire pressure was 1.5psi off of my left when viewing the PSI from the BMW onboard digital gauge (you can only do this while driving). However, as my car had been pulling to the right from day 1 of delivery (there's a big thread of many complaining about that on these forums). Miraculously, the car drifted to the right to a lesser extent with the right tire PSI being slightly higher than the left and so I was playing around with the idea of keeping it that way for a short time- however I knew that I needed to put the PSI equally across both tires but I just failed to do that before going to the meet. I have no idea if unequal PSI left to right contributed to the right rear spinning so differently than the left.

Darn, my winking smiley wasn't explicit enough. The owner of the BMW M4 that LetsGoFast linked to posted in one of the Bimmer Forums a long explanation of what happened and included how one tire had was 1.5 psi over inflated compared to the others and how he should never had left the imbalance like that. It was a running joke on Jalopnik everytime there was a post about a boneheaded move that someone would chime in that the tire pressure was off by 1.5 psi.

FWIW, I got it right away!

Because you've got your own dirty laundry? ;-) As I have, as we all do. Just because you can do it anonymously doesn't make it right to dig through other people's dirty laundry; that goes to credibility also.

OP opened the door when he stated he had no issues with authority and decided to come off as an innocent in all of this. Finding public information to address credibility of a poster, or to disprove something a poster claimed, is normal practice in this forum. It's done all the time, especially when we think we have a troll on our hands. It's okay when others do it, apparently. :)

In fairness to Amped, Chris, you DID open the door by proclaiming you didn't have a history of challenging authority.

Appreciate the backup, Bonnie. I'm surprised by how many feathers get ruffled over something as simple as a google search.