Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cops don't like losing to a Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes you can. I do it all the time and there is nothing unsafe about it.

I've taken off on cops to the speed limit and none have ever pulled me over.

0 to the speed limit is legal everyday fun.

Funny story, the cop clearly is a d*ck!

+1
but break traction and it is a different story. I do the same thing at most lights, it is safer to have a few (dozen) car lengths between other cars

Even if the ticket is thrown out, it appears that the "idiot cop" you baited has extracted his justice and you are paying a price. :) .

Why do you think I bothered sharing this with the forum? Everyone wants me to "pay" even if it's with my time and convenience.

I did what everyone always thinksabout doing. I'm not sorry I did it at all and would do it again if given the choice. Life is too short to live by some super-subjective, highly interpretive, archaic law about burning out, which you can't do in a P85D even if you tried.

I did what everyone always thinksabout doing. I'm not sorry I did it at all and would do it again if given the choice. Life is too short to live by some super-subjective, highly interpretive, archaic law about burning out, which you can't do in a P85D even if you tried.

Nah, I don't think about showing cops my car is faster. I think about not wasting my time on silly things. But you showed him. That law will be changed in no time! :)

Do I accelerate? Do I take curves at the max? Oh yeah.

Do I choose my battles and decide which ones are worth fighting? Yeah. The battle you chose, imo, didn't prove anything to anyone. But it made you feel good, to the point that you took a selfie of yourself grinning away with the lights going behind you. Let's not play the game of you were doing it to take on "some super-subjective, highly interpretive, archaic law about burning out". Because you're not fighting that battle.

fyi - I doubt the cop wasn't working today. They just sent you away so you'll have to come back again. Major power move on their part, pulling those puppet strings.

Yea, but for the interest of interest..what's an 'unsafe start'? You didn't loose control of the vehicle or squeal your tires. Seems ambiguous to me. You could probably win that in court. But not having your DL..ew, bad. And not having insurance, gez. (if you can't prove it they assume you don't have it).

Try that again and see if it flies in court..only this time with your DL & ins.

Last edited:
Yea, but for the interest of interest..what's an 'unsafe start'? You didn't loose control of the vehicle or squeal your tires. Seems ambiguous to me. You could probably win that in court. But not having your DL..ew, bad. And not having insurance, gez. (if you can't prove it they assume you don't have it).

Try that again and see if it flies in court..only this time with your DL & ins.

Well, remember the Tesla Store went to make a copy of my DL and forgot to give it back to me. This was the loaner car - I didn't think to take my insurance card out of my car to carry it with me for that one evening! Believe me, I was ready to hand the cop my credit card since at least it had my name and picture on it! I didn't have ANYTHING else! :(

Nah, I don't think about showing cops my car is faster. I think about not wasting my time on silly things. But you showed him. That law will be changed in no time! :)

Do I accelerate? Do I take curves at the max? Oh yeah.

Do I choose my battles and decide which ones are worth fighting? Yeah. The battle you chose, imo, didn't prove anything to anyone. But it made you feel good, to the point that you took a selfie of yourself grinning away with the lights going behind you. Let's not play the game of you were doing it to take on "some super-subjective, highly interpretive, archaic law about burning out". Because you're not fighting that battle.

fyi - I doubt the cop wasn't working today. They just sent you away so you'll have to come back again. Major power move on their part, pulling those puppet strings.

Bonnie +1 !

I think it's easier to burn out with the RWD cars than the AWD cars, but that's just my perception, I've never tried to do it with my 85D.

I wish I could find it on youtube but Jeremy Clarkson once proclaimed that the fastest car in the world was a rental car. Let's just face it. The OP has just gone accelerated as quickly as he will ever will in a P85D. It's a real shame he did it in Sport mode instead of Insane though.

These are all terrific examples of drifts and burn-outs with a RWD car. (P85)

As Breser correctly points out I don't believe a burn-out or even chirping of the tires can be done with a P85D. I'm confident that the traction control system is smart enough not to allow the slightest slip.

Brianman, you claim that I was incorrect. Can you provide such a video?

These are all terrific examples of drifts and burn-outs with a RWD car. (P85)

As Breser correctly points out I don't believe a burn-out or even chirping of the tires can be done with a P85D. I'm confident that the traction control system is smart enough not to allow the slightest slip.

Brianman, you claim that I was incorrect. Can you provide such a video?

I'm pretty sure there are burnout videos with P85Ds. Don't have time to look for them. But you have to use the slipstart option or pull the fuse for the traction control. I suspect the burnout videos of the P85s required similar efforts to achieve.

I think if one were to actually be cited for unsafe acceleration it would be reasonable in court to ask what your recorded rate of acceleration actually was and what rate of acceleration is allowed by law. Since I suspect no value would exist for either, and assuming no other evidence available, the ticket would likely be thrown out.

I totally agree with this ^^

- - - Updated - - -

So, for all you "you shouldn't have done that" posters in the thread, know (1) that I'm trying to do the right thing and (2) I'm having to waste my time tracking down the idiot cop's mistake. Thought you all might appreciate that.

Now he's an idiot? That's not a good way to speak about our law enforcement officers who risk their lives every day. You could have chosen your words a bit better.

- - - Updated - - -

I never think about doing something like that. I believe someone who thinks about doing what you did has a fundamental issue with authority, and so finds a way to act out in some way against that authority. Perhaps you might notice a similar trend in your working relationships, in your life, etc., i.e., reacting negatively to people in positions of authority... your boss/manager/supervisor, your parents, etc.

This kind of behavior is rarely an isolated incident and it doesn't occur in a vacuum.

I never think about doing something like that. I believe someone who thinks about doing what you did has a fundamental issue with authority, and so finds a way to act out in some way against that authority. Perhaps you might notice a similar trend in your working relationships, in your life, etc., i.e., reacting negatively to people in positions of authority... your boss/manager/supervisor, your parents, etc.

This kind of behavior is rarely an isolated incident and it doesn't occur in a vacuum.

Wow. You are so far off it isn't funny, but I'll be happy to let your imagination wander!