Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three minutes of that rare commodity, common sense:
Too much to expect? With the clowns running the circus, probably.
Robin

Sadly, as everyday shows us, you're right! You're also being very kind by calling people who kill people (even through incompetence) clowns. This involves more than just incompetence.

As of 8/22/20, America had 176,000+ Covid deaths in just 6 months. Many are still having hellacious recoveries and will take a long time before they’re 100% -- if ever.

Many countries have handled COVID far better than the U.S. If we had the same COVID death rate of each of the following countries and adjusted for U.S. population size, U.S. COVID total deaths would NOT be 176,000, but rather the number in the parentheses after each country! Vietnam (88), Taiwan (97), China (1,066), New Zealand (1,511), South Korea (1,995), Japan (3,086), Australia (6,296), India (13,383), Germany (36,852), Canada (79,554), and Mexico (154,687).

How could this happen in America?

I'll be near the front of the line.
Ignoring possible politics...if the vaccine has proven to be safe in phase 1 and phase 2 (as already required to do the widespread phase 3 then there should not be a problem with getting the vaccine. The only serious potential downside is that it isn't effective or only partially effective. Even if it only reduces infections by half, this is much better than without it.
Imagine if the infections and deaths were cut in half today going forward, especially in at risk groups.
And if the first vaccine isn't the best we can get a different one in another few months or a year.
Waiting for perfect isn't a solution, IMO.
Taking 5 or 10 years for trials, that many vaccines take, also isn't a good idea nor needed.
In vaccines that target a rare disease lots of time is required in phase 3 in order to give time to see a statistical difference between the control (placebo) group and the real vaccine group. During a pandemic these differences should start to show up much more quickly if the vaccine actually works.
Also, many people in the high risk groups don't have 5 or 10 years to wait.
Why would a 75 or 80 year old want to wait 5 or 10 years to see if there are some unknown long term effects?

So who is going to be first in line on November 1st?

The C.D.C. tells health officials to be ready to distribute a vaccine by November, raising concerns over politicized timing.
Covid-19 Live Updates: With 1,000 Student Infections, U. of South Carolina Urges Vigilance

This made me chuckle:
link said:
A Minnesota man is the first person known to have died of Covid-19 after attending the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. Silvio Berlusconi, Italy’s former prime minister, tested positive for the virus.

Dr Campbell who has for months repeated the publicly aired consensus that HCQ does not help in C19 has soundly changed his mind. He directly addresses the issue of RCTs being better than retrospective, but the sheer number of patients in the HCQ data of this Belgian study, over 8,000, combined with the difference in survival rate vs non-HCQ in this study, has led Dr Campbell to reverse his opinion and find HCQ a viable treatment option in C19.
Which is a bit strange considering the potential flaws in this study.

I’ve expressed no other opinions here... not even re whether I agree with his assessment of HCQ.
Yet your post makes it clear as day ;)

Reactions: blckdmp

The C.D.C. tells health officials to be ready to distribute a vaccine by November, raising concerns over politicized timing.
Covid-19 Live Updates: With 1,000 Student Infections, U. of South Carolina Urges Vigilance

With the FDA head saying earlier that they could possibly approve of a vaccine without Phase 3 data and now this rush by the CDC, it’s almost a guarantee that a vaccine will make it to some people right before the election. Just amazing.

Probably a good idea to be exposed to equity/options of a few of the companies that received funding for vaccine production before the names of the two vaccines leak.

I'll get it early (unless I get a bad bad feeling about it for whatever reason - not sure what that would look like). Maybe that way I can do whatever I want in December. I doubt there will be sufficient doses available in November though for lower risk people like me.

I'll get it early (unless I get a bad bad feeling about it for whatever reason - not sure what that would look like). Maybe that way I can do whatever I want in December. I doubt there will be sufficient doses available in November though for lower risk people like me.

Just curious, what do you anticipate doing “whatever I want” in December that you cannot do now? Because I don’t believe many more restrictions beyond what are currently allowed will be lifted by that time.
And, if you happen to catch the usual cold or flu, people around you will still suspect COVID-19.

Reactions: scottf200
Just curious, what do you anticipate doing “whatever I want” in December that you cannot do now?

A lot of stuff that is technically allowed now, but I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole, I will be able to do after getting an effective vaccine. (There's a reason we still have a pandemic in this country - we allow far too much transmission, in the interests of "keeping the economy going," even though it has been catastrophically costly to do so - it's possibly the dumbest thing this country has ever done - and that's saying a lot).

I would fly on a plane, probably, prior to visiting my parents. Or fly on a plane to places in general, like for vacation. Rather than driving from San Diego to Portland in a day without going inside anywhere (which makes for a long day).

I think I might be allowed to fly to other countries if I've had the vaccine (TBD of course).

I might use public restrooms rather than urinating (etc...!!!!) outside on road trips. I haven't used a public restroom since March.

I might go on vacation.

I might eat *outside* at restaurants, rather than bringing my food home on the rare occasion I order food. I haven't eaten at a restaurant since March to the best of my recollection. I might even eat inside, especially if bean and cheese burritos are involved (though I can eat those outside too).

I might stay in hotels.

I might hang out with other people who have also been vaccinated.

I might go climbing at my climbing gym.

I might go drink at my local brewery after climbing.

I might be able to do my job properly, by being on-site (a lot of stuff suffers with WFH though most stuff is ok).

I would continue to wear my mask or whatever is required. Doesn't matter to me. Probably would continue to be careful about sanitation; it's been really nice to never have a cold!

Obviously the degree to which I do these things depends on what we find out about vaccine efficacy and safety in the meantime.

Last edited:
Genomförda tester för covid-19 — Folkhälsomyndigheten

12.4% seroprevalence in Stockholm for the latest week (probably not a truly random sample though). Nearly to herd immunity!

Dr. Scott Atlas is really onto something. Or is he on something? Hard to know. Shrug.
To be fair, numbers in Sweden have been falling and are starting to get pretty low. Gyms have been opened, nobody is wearing a mask, schools are reopening, restaurants are crowded, hotels are busy etc.

Latest figure is that we have 14 people in total in intensive care, it has been falling like 20-30%/week for the last months. Clearly R is <1 even without us taking any strong measures.

I was initially very critical of our strategy. With hindsight I am still critical but much less so.

I would tribute us having R<1 even without masks etc to a few different factors:
1. Pretty low R0 here due to few people in an average household, social distancing being normal even before the virus
2. Herd immunity due to pareto effects, 10% of the population doing 90% of social interactions, these people getting the virus first. (Numbers just made up)
3. Maybe lucked out on previous T-cell immunity
4. Reasonable general health, obesity, poverty etc being rather low.

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
To be fair, numbers in Sweden have been falling and are starting to get pretty low. Gyms have been opened, nobody is wearing a mask, schools are reopening, restaurants are crowded, hotels are busy etc.

Latest figure is that we have 14 people in total in intensive care, it has been falling like 20-30%/week for the last months. Clearly R is <1 even without us taking any strong measures.

I was initially very critical of our strategy. With hindsight I am still critical but much less so.

I would tribute us having R<1 even without masks etc to a few different factors:
1. Pretty low R0 here due to few people in an average household, social distancing being normal even before the virus
2. Herd immunity due to pareto effects, 10% of the population doing 90% of social interactions, these people getting the virus first. (Numbers just made up)

Yeah, I know. Sweden is doing well - but not due to their herd immunity approach, clearly!!!

We'll see. It seems to me that once Sweden got rid of the initial "super dumb" strategy, your public health infrastructure was up to the challenge of defeating and eradicating the virus. In addition, it's possible that societal factors play a role. Also my understanding is that people take a lot of the summer off - so we'll see what happens in September/October.

I'm glad to see that Sweden has extremely low numbers now - they'll need that going into winter. It's going to be a huge struggle - assuming that a testing revolution or a vaccine doesn't come prior to the bitter cold. But if you start with community transmission cut off, it's way, way easier to keep the virus suppressed.

I doubt T-cell immunity has anything to do with it (my feeling is that's just baked in to all populations and results in a generally lower IFR than we'd be seeing otherwise).

Certainly good health helps with lower IFR - but it doesn't explain the substantial progress towards eradication of the disease in Sweden.

If you can get rid of community transmission, it really is quite amazing how much you can reopen!!! That's most likely why you don't need to wear masks. We're nowhere near that point in the US, because we've decided we're too cool for school. We're basically too cool for everything, as far as I can tell. We are truly some of the most stubborn people on earth.

The necessity of mask wearing & effectiveness is likely tied to the amount of community transmission occurring in any given location.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: scottf200
Wow. I don't pay much attention to the cases & hospitalizations anymore because it's too depressing, but it is looking GRIM heading into fall in the US. I sure hope there is something revolutionary like antigen testing or similar that comes to fruition - and soon. Otherwise...not good. Gonna be a total debacle as soon as it cools down (and as schools go back, to some extent).

Reactions: NikolaACDC
Wow. I don't pay much attention to the cases & hospitalizations anymore because it's too depressing, but it is looking GRIM heading into fall in the US. I sure hope there is something revolutionary like antigen testing or similar that comes to fruition - and soon. Otherwise...not good. Gonna be a total debacle as soon as it cools down (and as schools go back, to some extent).
The top 3 countries are all still out of hand it seems. Yikes. Lack of leadership.

OJvR6T1.jpg
21Ko9h8.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: madodel

How much test and trace does Sweden do now? I know you started testing many more people in June.