Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

If you don't control the pandemic, you let the pandemic control you. -Marc Bevand

It was -29F in Montana outside of Missoula this morning, so I'm sure the outdoor dining is going to go well from hereon out.

These look like they will be truly dark times. Israel was able to control their massive second wave, but they have the benefit of a mild Mediterranean climate (as does Southern California, thankfully) and a well educated population. There is still hope, but we have to do the right thing, starting immediately. We have EUAs for monoclonals coming online soon, as well as much wider availability of fast antigen tests. But government coordination & leadership at the highest level is required, now.

Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 1.40.28 PM.png

https://twitter.com/Climatologist49/status/1320455466179198976?s=20

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Utah hospitals plan on rationing care as coronavirus cases surge in the state: report

Utah hospitals plan on rationing care as coronavirus cases surge in the state

"Hospitals in Utah will soon be forced begin prioritizing younger COVID-19 patients over older ones amid surging rate of hospitalizations from the virus in the state, doctors warned Utah's governor on Thursday.
If ICUs are nearing capacity, patients who are not seen to be improving even with intensive care will be asked to consider moving to a regular hospital bed. Doctors will also be asked to clearly communicate with patients about do-not-resuscitate orders.
Once ICUs reach capacity, hospitals will take matters into their own hands to determine ICU priority, according to the Tribune. Lower priority will be given to patients who are older if two patients are otherwise equally eligible for an ICU bed, while those who are pregnant receive higher priority.
A spokesperson for Herbert's office and other state officials confirmed to the Tribune and other news outlets that ICUs in the state are nearing capacity..."
-------------------------
That's when the deaths really shoot up.
Only the beginning, other states will surely have to follow.

Have to wonder if ICU beds were prioritized for older patients instead, if younger ones who are more likely to be flouting mask wearing and distancing etc would hear this and have the fear of covid instilled in them when it dawns on them yeah this is real and serious and I might not be able to get the help I might need. Feel for the medical teams having to make these decisions.

I’m glad more research is being done on long-haulers because I think from reading some opinions of non-mask wearers that so many think “got it, no big deal, it’s over”. If you end up one of the long-haulers months suddenly after recovering from a “non-serious” infection and you can’t walk far without being winded or do much of anything for an indeterminate amount of time, it surely is going to impact your personal future, ability to work and provide for yourself.

• Disagree
Reactions: UCF3
Utah hospitals plan on rationing care as coronavirus cases surge in the state: report

Utah hospitals plan on rationing care as coronavirus cases surge in the state

"Hospitals in Utah will soon be forced begin prioritizing younger COVID-19 patients over older ones amid surging rate of hospitalizations from the virus in the state, doctors warned Utah's governor on Thursday.
If ICUs are nearing capacity, patients who are not seen to be improving even with intensive care will be asked to consider moving to a regular hospital bed. Doctors will also be asked to clearly communicate with patients about do-not-resuscitate orders.
Once ICUs reach capacity, hospitals will take matters into their own hands to determine ICU priority, according to the Tribune. Lower priority will be given to patients who are older if two patients are otherwise equally eligible for an ICU bed, while those who are pregnant receive higher priority.
A spokesperson for Herbert's office and other state officials confirmed to the Tribune and other news outlets that ICUs in the state are nearing capacity..."
-------------------------
That's when the deaths really shoot up.
Only the beginning, other states will surely have to follow.
This is standard procedure. Here in my little town when we were peaking in May our 2 hospitals never reached full capacity but came close even with expanding ICU beds. I was actually asked to join one of the hospital's medical ethics board then as a community member, but demurred because I knew what it meant and I already had a full plate at the time. I just can't understand why the rest of the country didn't take all this seriously after seeing all those white refrigerated trailers in NYC.

and the worst offenders list by color coded by partisanship

View attachment 602470

What is special about June 1 for a starting date? Did something special happen on June 1? It seems odd that all of the other charts on that site start back in March but the partisan one starts in June... any theories? I know the guy sort of addresses it on the FAQ (falsely claiming that partisanship did not correlate before June) but it also seems like that was about the time the left leaning Northeast states finished having their giant outbreak which would skew the map considerably red in the months since...

Wouldn't seroprevalence be a better measure anyways since testing has varied widely between states and over time?

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.

I am just trying to understand the need for the constant partisan sniping...

Last edited:
@golfcart Maybe done with that start date as it was hugely politicized by the WH that it was those blue-run states that did a bad job with the virus but the red states were doing a super job? Told everyone including tgeir supporters that Summer was coming and the virus would disappear. Clearly wasn’t the case. All the red-leaning states listed with High rates of infections couldn’t have come at a worse time for the WH right before the election and their maskless populations getting sick and hospitalized.

@golfcart Maybe done with that start date as it was hugely politicized by the WH that it was those blue-run states that did a bad job with the virus but the red states were doing a super job? Told everyone including tgeir supporters that Summer was coming and the virus would disappear. Clearly wasn’t the case. All the red-leaning states listed with High rates of infections couldn’t have come at a worse time for the WH right before the election and their maskless populations getting sick and hospitalized.

But why post that chart here every week? Is it just to take jabs at people?