Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Study suggests 5’UTR of SARS-CoV-2 might be of pangolin coronavirus origin

"Findings from a new genomic sequencing study support the hypothesis that the pangolin was the intermediate host for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) that enabled transmission of the virus to humans.
A pre-print version of the paper is available in the server bioRxiv*, while the article undergoes peer review."
-------------------
More evidence that South Park might have been right...
South Park - Season 24, Ep. 1 - The Pandemic Special - Full Episode | South Park Studios US

Study suggests 5’UTR of SARS-CoV-2 might be of pangolin coronavirus origin

"Findings from a new genomic sequencing study support the hypothesis that the pangolin was the intermediate host for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) that enabled transmission of the virus to humans.
A pre-print version of the paper is available in the server bioRxiv*, while the article undergoes peer review."
-------------------
More evidence that South Park might have been right...
South Park - Season 24, Ep. 1 - The Pandemic Special - Full Episode | South Park Studios US

I thought earlier research into that creature had ruled it out.

New study suggests COVID-19 immunity is 'waning,' researchers say

"Researchers in the United Kingdom say they've observed a "significant" decline in the percentage of the population with COVID-19 antibodies, potentially pointing to "waning immunity."
Imperial College London scientists in the study found the prevalence of COVID-19 antibodies declined from six percent of the British population in June to 4.4 percent in September, Reuters reports. They came to the conclusion that there has been a "significant decline in the proportion of the population with detectable antibodies" by sending out finger-prick tests to a randomly selected group of over 365,000 people in England, according to CNN.

"On the balance of evidence I would say, with what we know for other coronaviruses, it would look as if immunity declines away at the same rate as antibodies decline away, and that this is an indication of waning immunity at the population level," Wendy Barclay, head of Imperial College London's Department of Infectious Disease, said, per Reuters.

The researchers were specifically looking for IgG antibodies in the study, and CNN notes that some other research has suggested "that other types of antibodies may persist longer than IgG does."

But Imperial College London's Helen Ward told BBC News the study suggests that "immunity is waning quite rapidly." Ward added in a statement, "We don't yet know whether this will leave these people at risk of reinfection with the virus that causes COVID-19, but it is essential that everyone continues to follow guidance to reduce the risk to themselves and others." Brendan Morrow
-----------------------------------------------------
Well, keep masking up and washing hands until we know more.
None of this is new, it's well known that antibodies fade away after you've beaten the disease and people have been talking about it in relation to COVID-19 since people first started taking antibody tests to see if the flu they had was COVID.

But regardless T-cells take their place and are hopefully there and ready to ramp up when exposure to COVID-19 occurs again.

The real question is are the T-cells that remain ready to crank up sufficient quantities of antibodies to maintain immunity? As in most such diseases and variances in the populace, the answer is for now at least: Not always.

New study suggests COVID-19 immunity is 'waning,' researchers say

"Researchers in the United Kingdom say they've observed a "significant" decline in the percentage of the population with COVID-19 antibodies, potentially pointing to "waning immunity."

None of this is new, it's well known that antibodies fade away after you've beaten the disease and people have been talking about it in relation to COVID-19 since people first started taking antibody tests to see if the flu they had was COVID.

But regardless T-cells take their place and are hopefully there and ready to ramp up when exposure to COVID-19 occurs again.

The real question is are the T-cells that remain ready to crank up sufficient quantities of antibodies to maintain immunity? As in most such diseases and variances in the populace, the answer is for now at least: Not always.

Yeah, this news is unnecessarily alarmist.

Antibody Responses to SARS-CoV-2: Let’s Stick to Known Knowns
ElW5QJEUUAElDx_.jpg

Why You Shouldn’t Worry About Studies Showing Waning Coronavirus Antibodies

In other news, Elon has our backs :rolleyes:. Everyone is susceptible to conspiracy theories I guess. News flash: pandemics are good for diagnostics companies. A bunch of other people lose. But, this doesn't mean it's a conspiracy or wrong to to a metric s***load of testing. In fact, massive testing combined with the 10 other measures all experts agree will suppress the pandemic may be the optimal solution. Elon should know this. What a weirdo. $56 Billion isn't even all that much money!!!!

Next he’ll be telling us testing causes cases.

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 7.35.25 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and madodel
Ridiculous prices. What if, instead, Tesla began developing a low-cost COVID-19 test, $0,20 a pop?

Prices seem pretty reasonable (and extremely cheap!!!) to me. It's basically zero cost if you think about it.

Pretty sure it's not the test materials we are paying for here. And note that tests producing false positives are pretty useless (they destroy public trust) when not backstopped by a molecular test, and I'm pretty sure Tesla has zero competency in molecular test development (which do not have false positives, ever, except through human error).

• Love
Reactions: renim
OK so if June 1 graphs are contentious how about a map with just the last 30 days content?

g2dj7c0eztv51.png
I'm sure this graph is informative, but it appears that multiple counties have 100% of COVID-19 cases. I would have thought that impossible. Or does it mean that every person, or at least every person tested, has COVID-19 in those counties?

I'm sure this graph is informative, but it appears that multiple counties have 100% of COVID-19 cases. I would have thought that impossible. Or does it mean that every person, or at least every person tested, has COVID-19 in those counties?
I'm pretty sure it shows the rate of increase in COVID19 positives over the past month. In Pennsylvania there's one dark blue dot in the center which is Penn State which has had increasing high numbers of college students infected, but not everyone by any stretch. But going from very few a day to 100-150 a day for a few weeks after it opened back up for in person classes, is probably 100% increases. Though it has been down to only 30-50 a day the past week. I live nowhere near there but our local TV market includes Centre county where PSU main campus is located so they always include their numbers in the daily televised COVID19 counts.

• Helpful
Reactions: Boomer19
I'm pretty sure it shows the rate of increase in COVID19 positives over the past month. In Pennsylvania there's one dark blue dot in the center which is Penn State which has had increasing high numbers of college students infected, but not everyone by any stretch. But going from very few a day to 100-150 a day for a few weeks after it opened back up for in person classes, is probably 100% increases. Though it has been down to only 30-50 a day the past week. I live nowhere near there but our local TV market includes Centre county where PSU main campus is located so they always include their numbers in the daily televised COVID19 counts.
Okay, that makes sense, but it sure isn't obvious from the graph or the graph's title.

100% means that 30 days ago the county had 0 cases reported prior to that date and whatever number of cases they got in the last 30 days are equal to the total the county has ever seen.

The map is a comparison between

* how many cases has the county ever seen before 30 days ago
* how many cases has the county seen in the last 30 days

one divided by the other gives the percentage.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: madodel
This is not good

Oct 28th State Test Positivity Rates per Johns Hopkins
Track Testing Trends - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

South Dakota - 43%
Idaho - 35%
Wyoming - 32%
Wisconsin - 28%
Iowa - 26%
Alabama - 25%
Nebraska - 22%
Kansas - 21%
Nevada - 19%
Utah - 18%

No worries, it's just because we're doing more testing. o_O

South Dakota is just probably really good at targeting their tests. It shows how efficient & smart their gov't is.

Wall Street plunges, with Dow closing down 900 points as lockdown fears accelerate

Wall Street sank again on Wednesday, as soaring coronavirus infection rates pushed some cities to introduce a new round of restrictive measures and France and Germany reintroduced monthlong lockdowns.

Covid-19 infections are spreading across the United States at the fastest rate since the start of the pandemic, according to the latest NBC News figures. The 71,000 new cases per day that the U.S. averaged over the past week was the most in any seven-day stretch since the crisis started.

Rising coronavirus cases across Europe are exacerbating a global loss of confidence in a swift economic recovery. German Chancellor Angela Merkel announced new lockdown measures on Wednesday, closing restaurants, bars, recreation centers, pools, and cinemas for one month and limiting travel and large events.

French President Emmanuel Macron on Wednesday night also announced a nationwide lockdown, in a televised address to the nation.

“The virus is circulating in France at a speed that even the most pessimistic forecast didn’t foresee,” Macron said. “The measures we’ve taken have turned out to be insufficient to counter a wave that’s affecting all Europe.”

“Many people still haven’t realized what is waiting for us. This wave is invading Europe… it will last several weeks, even one or two months,” said Jean-François Delfraissy, president of the scientific committee advising the French government, in an interview with French radio station RTL.