Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question I have is, are vaccinated ppl dying from the delta variant?

Very good question, search engine says... vaccinated does not mean invincible. For people who are immunocompromised or taking immunosuppression medication, they are still at elevated risk.

The vaccines are highly effective but there are no guarantees, which is why everyone who can should be vaccinated, which will (potentially) eradicate the virus.

People who are vaccinated get sick and die from all the variants (for a variety of reasons - no one should assume that immunocompromised people are the only ones at risk, they just have a lot higher risk). But in much much smaller numbers.

Reactions: eevee-fan
And now, to add insult to injury, it is well over 110 degrees most days. What witchcraft is this?

About the heat wave? The entire west has a Mediterranean climate with the Northwest west of the Cascades having what's called a "warm Mediterranean" climate. That means there is a clear wet and dry season with warn, dry weather for several months of the year. In the Portland area getting a few days over 100F in a summer are not unusual and we get the same phenomenon of the Santa Ana winds in Southern California in the late summer. My allergies really give me fits at those times because lots of grass pollen from east of the Cascades blows into the area.

This is unusual that those winds are early this year and it's exasperated by conditions that are trapping the heat over land in the western parts of the states instead of allowing it to blow out to sea. So we're having an oven effect.

Cliff Mass who is a Meteorology professor at the University of Washington (empire Seattle again :)) has a blog that explains all the weather phenomenons that hit this region and the entire west to some extent.
Cliff Mass Weather Blog

He believes in human caused climate change, but he's also quick to point out that weird weather phenomenon alone are not necessarily a sign of it. He is a scientist and weird weather has been with us as long as humans have kept records.

His last three posts are quite interesting, we have some very unusual conditions colliding right now. The latest weather model has us hitting all time high temps tomorrow afternoon followed by below average temps a few hours later. We may break two weather records tomorrow: all time high followed by fastest temperature change in local history.

I grew up in California and lived in Bakersfield for a while. This kind of heat is normal summer weather there.

Overall a few vaccinated people get COVID (or get it again). But the hospitalization rate for vaccinated people is vastly lower than unvaccinated and the chances of dying are also vastly lower. Comedian Bill Maher tested positive for COVID a few weeks ago and had to take two weeks off from doing his show. He is vaccinated and he said he felt no different. If the production company hadn't been testing regularly nobody would have ever known he had it, including him.

The Delta variant is one of the most contagious discovered, but it doesn't have the immune dodging properties of the South African variant (I forget which Greek letter they gave that one, Beta maybe?) Delta is pushing the SA variant into extinction which is probably a good thing.

The variant that hit Manatee County Florida last week might be Delta or it might be another, new variant, but it appears to be stopped dead by vaccination.

In the Portland area getting a few days over 100F in a summer are not unusua

I grew up in Portland so I am familiar with the patterns. This heat in June is completely unprecedented. It is of course common to have hot days at the end of July and early August, though this is a huge aberration even beyond that.

It may well be “not unusual” to have a few days over 100F in July and August (though in the 1980s it was less common), but important distinction is they were very typically 100-103. Every now and again (rarely!!!) we would see 105-107. I distinctly remember the 1981 event, I was 4.

He believes in human caused climate change, but he's also quick to point out that weird weather phenomenon alone are not necessarily a sign of it
Yeah, this is a huge outlier (once in a few thousand years?) of high pressure which has rocketed temps. Climate change, which of course is happening, is simply adding to the baseline temps and makes these events a bit worse. Weather and climate are different, blah blah.

Anyway, sorry, off topic. Back to COVID! Wonder whether we will see any extra cases as a result - all capacity limits lifted. Probably not many I would guess.

• Informative
Reactions: CatB
At the end of this article about Israel it says 26 of 73 who died from the delta variant in the UK were fully vaccinated. UK has a lot of AstraZeneca and J&J, I think.

As for Israel, it says 40-50% of cases are among fully vaccinated people (I heard it's actually 40-50% of adult cases). Israel is 57% fully vaccinated, so not a great improvement. It says vaccinated people have milder cases, but that sounds subjective vs. data driven.

• Informative
At the end of this article about Israel it says 26 of 73 who died from the delta variant in the UK were fully vaccinated. UK has a lot of AstraZeneca and J&J, I think.

As for Israel, it says 40-50% of cases are among fully vaccinated people (I heard it's actually 40-50% of adult cases). Israel is 57% fully vaccinated, so not a great improvement. It says vaccinated people have milder cases, but that sounds subjective vs. data driven.
Don't know about Israel but in the US there is criteria that defines mild, moderate, severe and critical cases.
Clinical Spectrum of SARS-CoV-2 Infection

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke and CatB

These numbers could indicate the vaccine is 90% effective. Unfortunately there is not enough information provided to know.

Specifically (as you alluded to), you need to know the vaccination rate in the exposed population (which is nearly certainly not similar to Israel as a whole, due to the way imports work).

I would guess 50% of cases in vaccinated people likely represents a very effective vaccine - but again, not enough info to know.

For example: ~90% of deaths occur in right-handed people!

• Informative

The virus that causes COVID-19 did not originate at the Wuhan seafood market, confirms a new study of deleted gene sequences from the virus' earliest days.

The sequences had been posted to a website run by the National Institutes of Health but were removed for unknown reasons.

Finding earlier sequences like these might help reveal new insights into the SARS-CoV-2 virus' earliest days, said Jesse Bloom, the article's author, who studies viral evolution at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle.

His new report, which has not yet been peer-reviewed, does not suggest an answer to the question of whether the SARS-CoV-2 virus jumped directly from animals to people or whether it was accidently leaked from a research lab in Wuhan, China.

These numbers could indicate the vaccine is 90% effective. Unfortunately there is not enough information provided to know.

Specifically (as you alluded to), you need to know the vaccination rate in the exposed population (which is nearly certainly not similar to Israel as a whole, due to the way imports work).

I would guess 50% of cases in vaccinated people likely represents a very effective vaccine - but again, not enough info to know.

For example: ~90% of deaths occur in right-handed people!
Anything is possible, but a straightforward "if all else is equal" calculation based on 50% of cases being in the 57% of the population that is vaccinated would be ~25% efficacy. The same guy apparently said one-third of cases were in vaccinated people earlier in the week, though, so we're obviously not talking about a rigorous scientific study.

...Competing interests... The author consults for Moderna on SARS-CoV-2 evolution and epidemiology, consults for Flagship Labs 77 on viral evolution and deep mutational scanning, and has the potential to receive a share of IP revenue as an inventor on a Fred Hutch licensed technology/patent (application WO2020006494) related to deep mutational scanning of viral proteins...

Anything is possible, but a straightforward "if all else is equal" calculation based on 50% of cases being in the 57% of the population that is vaccinated would be ~25% efficacy. The same guy apparently said one-third of cases were in vaccinated people earlier in the week, though, so we're obviously not talking about a rigorous scientific study.

Yeah, 25% efficacy seems very unlikely based on most of the available evidence at the moment.

So that straightforward calculation is pretty unlikely. Remember that regardless of the % of the population vaccinated, it is VERY non-homogeneous. 80% of the Israeli adult population is vaccinated. Palestinian residents of Israel are probably also less vaccinated.

So depending on where the introductions are occurring, the vaccination rate could easily be over 80%.

Those are the details we'd need to make any meaningful statement. Hopefully they'll be forthcoming at some point.

Delta Coronavirus Variant Infects All Unvaccinated Guests At Australian Birthday Party

A Covid-19 superspreader birthday party has been reported by Australian public health authorities where 24 of 30 guests were infected with the highly-transmissible Delta SARS-CoV2 coronavirus variant. Six fully-vaccinated healthcare workers were also in attendance and so far, none of them have tested positive for the virus.​

The Delta variant is so contagious it looks like virtually everyone who is unvaccinated is going to get it. Unfortunately the US has a portion the population who still believes COVID is a hoax when they're dying from it.

From what I've heard the people of Australia and New Zealand would be overjoyed to have access to the vaccine.

The Delta variant is so contagious it looks like virtually everyone who is unvaccinated is going to get it. Unfortunately the US has a portion the population who still believes COVID is a hoax when they're dying from it.

From what I've heard the people of Australia and New Zealand would be overjoyed to have access to the vaccine.

That is one way to increase vaccination pct. :)

Details on the growing replacement of the Alpha (UK) variant with the Indian (Delta) variant and the Gamma (Brazilian) variant in the United States.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
A weird argument I am seeing being spread in the anti vaxxers circle is that the vaccines attack the reproductive system of men and women.

I mean sure, there are ace2 receptors in those organs, but ELI5 why this argument is stupid. From what I understand, the ace2 receptors is used to cleave proteins apart. So serves no use for reproduction.
It’s nonsense, of course.