Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shouldn't POTUS be telling anyone with even the mildest of symptoms to just self quarantine at home? Limit visitors to hospitals and nursing homes nationwide. Cut all large gatherings nationwide. Same for anyone who traveled overseas.

What would testing even do at this point? They will eventually have a flood of patients and most will likely be positive anyways. Those patients are going to be told to self quarantine anyways.

Last edited:
Shouldn't POTUS be telling anyone with even the mildest of symptoms to just self quarantine at home? Limit visitors to hospitals and nursing homes nationwide. Cut all large gatherings nationwide.

What would testing even do at this point? They will eventually have a flood of patients and most will likely be positive anyways. Those patients are going to be told to self quarantine anyways.

I would hope he does because I see a lot of people at the store today still going about as if this virus thing is a nuisance and overblown. People still coughing without covering, or coughing into their hands and continue touching items. Unlike in Asia, the individualistic culture in America is going to make this social distancing effort a challenge. We don't even have a unified message across counties and states, let alone the entire country. In CA, one county could be aggressively battling the spread, while the county next door has no restrictions of sorts.

Many people couldn't care less until it affects them personally.

Last edited:
Shouldn't POTUS be telling anyone with even the mildest of symptoms to just self quarantine at home? Limit visitors to hospitals and nursing homes nationwide. Cut all large gatherings nationwide. Same for anyone who traveled overseas.

There are people who are very cavalier because they don't think they have it. Also there are alot of countries who are not on alert towards American travelers. Testing will bring this up. We are seeing a very high chance of contracting the Coronavirus from american travelers internationally and also a very high chance of contracting the virus from vacations in America. Unlike China, you simply don't announce you are closing the border with America, the political consequences will be too much.

Reactions: EinSV
There are people who are very cavalier because they don't think they have it. Also there are alot of countries who are not on alert towards American travelers. Testing will bring this up.
what kind of testing regime do you enable to even find these "cavalier" people? I just don't see how they have enough resources to that scale of testing to find these people.

versus regular messages telling people to stay at home if you present certain symptoms.

Got a source for that?

This is what happens when the mods allow politics to infect these threads.
I agree that politics shouldn’t exist here, though it’s also hard to avoid when they play a part in the response to this virus. I have avoided moderating this thread as much as possible, leaving it up to the section mods.

Regarding a source, you can go to the comment section of any Fox News article and find death threats on Democrats and (still) Obama. They are eventually removed but you should have absolutely no trouble finding them.

Saw the stupidest thing a few minutes ago. I was at the grocery store (a large Publix) and went to pick up some snack bags. The entire section of toilet paper and kleenex was stripped bare. Then I notice the meat section was almost completely stripped. I go to checkout and there are a few customers with two shopping carts filled to overflowing.

I would hope he does because I see a lot of people at the store today still going about as if this virus thing is a nuisance and overblown. People still coughing without covering, or coughing into their hands and continue touching items. Unlike in Asia, the individualistic culture in America is going to make this social distancing effort a challenge. We don't even have a unified message across counties and states, let alone the entire country. In CA, one county could be aggressively battling the spread, while the county next door has no restrictions of sorts.

Many people couldn't care less until it affects them personally.

Yes, some people can lack common courtesy, and common sense.
I have witnessed this the past few weeks. We have about three signs on our door, including a stop sign, noting masks mandatory for any infectious symptoms, even if just runny nose. The medical office assistant then asks, every one coming in. Then they come into my office, and cough ( of course no mask). I inquire, and the response is usually “ it is just a cold”, or I just had gluten...or whatever. Point is not to blame. As a physician, I have worked many a shift with my own symptoms, of course I tried my best to take the necessary precautions ( and really who is coming in to cover you Christmas Eve etc) but should I have been working? Debatable for sure and as I said not trying to cast stones from my glass house. Point is in my opinion we need a much more heavy handed approach. Unfortunately we needed this weeks ago. Biggest mistake in my opinion so far, is anyone returning via an airport from ANY country should of had a mandated 14 day quarantine. My neighbours drove to the airport yesterday, and only when it was announced that they would be quarantined for 14 days when coming home, did they change their mind, and not go ( BC just announced this yesterday).
People just do not seem to care until it effects them. Human Being.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J
what kind of testing regime do you enable to even find these "cavalier" people? I just don't see how they have enough resources to that scale of testing to find these people.

versus regular messages telling people to stay at home if you present certain symptoms.

Send it to countries with spare capacity. Which is what the rich are doing anyway. Australia, S.Korea, Vietnam, Taiwan and God forbid China. The bottle neck is currently domestic testing equipment ramp up. So for stop gap measure use other country's testing facilities until you ramp up local. Simple manufacturing 101.

BINGO!!! Finally, an intelligent person among the masses!

Jair Bolsonaro says he has tested negative
The Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro has tested negative for the coronavirus, his son told Fox News on Friday following media reports that his father, who recently met with Donald Trump, had tested positive.

“The test is negative,” Eduardo Bolsonaro told Fox News Channel in an interview.

The news follows some confusion today after local media in Brazil reported that Bolsonaro had tested positive.

Bolsonaro himself has lashed out on Twitter at “fake news”.
Do you think Bolsonaro lies more or less often than Trump?

See this death rate chart for 1918 spanish flu:
View attachment 521258

In Philadelphia where no social distancing measures were employed, death rate peaked at the mid october and the whole thing lasted about a month.

In st. louis with social distancing measure employed, it never quite ended by the end of year but death rate were kept low over the period of time. The total area under curve is less than that with no social distancing measures employed but duration of impact is far longer.
So the obvious conclusion is that for personal safety we should all go to China right now?

Logical fallacy. You think that as a class, people opposed to Trump wish death upon him. And yet you hold up yourself as an example that not all people opposed to Obama wished for that. There are many examples of people who wished Obama dead just after his election.

I'm sorry, but where were the Antifa-like people on the right when Obama was elected? We didn't see gangs of lawless thugs going out protesting and attacking people like we did with Trump's election.

I agree that politics shouldn’t exist here, though it’s also hard to avoid when they play a part in the response to this virus. I have avoided moderating this thread as much as possible, leaving it up to the section mods.

It isn’t that hard. Is the post providing information or complaining? It’s unfortunate that some people don’t realize that when they write some information-free partisan negative comment, it turns off a lot of people. Too much of that in a forum and people stop reading.