Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good read as usual.

Link: Katelyn Jetelina - State of Affairs: Can we trust case numbers?

Covid-19 Wastewater Monitoring by Region: Biobot Analytics · Data

Also regional charts on above page.

6hFDeJu.jpg

Article in The NY Times criticizing the Chinese strategy as another case of sparrow control is all well and good, but seems odd they did not mention the potential for perhaps 2 million deaths in China relatively rapidly. It’s hard to separate the performative Communist stuff from the true concerns, certainly. But such an article should at least attempt to estimate the Chinese exposure - it’s just denialism otherwise. And I think this is probably a reason China is reluctant to relax. They should definitely have tried to be more like New Zealand though - only would have had to deal with a few hundred thousand deaths that way! The current strategy is awful - it made sense until a year ago.

Paywall for most:

I guess you could ask why China is even worried, since they can just hide the deaths anyway? At least so some claim. We’ll see if they can keep them hidden. They seem to be in Shanghai so far, though it could also be due to reporting delays.

Good read as usual.

Link: Katelyn Jetelina - State of Affairs: Can we trust case numbers?

Covid-19 Wastewater Monitoring by Region: Biobot Analytics · Data

Also regional charts on above page.

6hFDeJu.jpg
I really doubt that only 7% of cases are being recorded. Not sure of IHME’s methodology for that. I could believe 15% (which is somewhat worse than historical numbers probably). How did they come up with 7%?

Just doesn’t seem to align particularly well with wastewater evidence, etc.

It would be good if true though - suggests a generally quite mild illness, perhaps similar to a severe flu (substantially less than 0.1% IFR).

I think that’s unlikely given our vaccination rates.

Article in The NY Times criticizing the Chinese strategy as another case of sparrow control is all well and good, but seems odd they did not mention the potential for perhaps 2 million deaths in China relatively rapidly. It’s hard to separate the performative Communist stuff from the true concerns, certainly. But such an article should at least attempt to estimate the Chinese exposure - it’s just denialism otherwise. And I think this is probably a reason China is reluctant to relax. They should definitely have tried to be more like New Zealand though - only would have had to deal with a few hundred thousand deaths that way! The current strategy is awful - it made sense until a year ago.
I guess you could ask why China is even worried, since they can just hide the deaths anyway? At least so some claim.
We’ll see if they can keep them hidden. They seem to be in Shanghai so far, though it could also be due to reporting delays.

Interesting to note that this is not the first time that China has revised its death count.
I would not trust any data provided by the current regime... Johns Hopkins has been tracking since early 2020.

1649888852485.png

Last edited:
I really doubt that only 7% of cases are being recorded. Not sure of IHME’s methodology for that.
Yeah, the article says: "on March 31, 2022 IMHE reported 27,400 cases but estimated 404,600 “true” cases due to underreporting and asymptomatic infection." That'd be great news, implying ~0.05% IFR. Truly "just the flu". Same with hospitalizations. 1.6k ICU patients now out of 400k+ daily 10 days ago means we wouldn't stress our hospitals even if cases grew 10x to a crazy 4 million/day.

Unfortunately these IHME numbers aren't credible. Seems like they've gone off the deep end again.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Related:
Quote: "4/12 Another day, another rise in greater Boston's wastewater Covid levels. Now at Delta levels. Looks to be doubling every 10 days."
My kingdom for a log plot!

Definitely seems to be on the rise throughout the northeast. Seems like seasonal factors would make the South next? Will be interesting to see how much this can grow. Seems like it’s going to be limited but maybe it will explode like England/UK.

Though the current divergence of prevalence data and actual case data in the UK definitely suggests that they have had less infection than the US…so hopefully that is the reason why we’re doing better so far…

Highlevel info with some simply % change numbers:

Stephanie Tait ♿️ @StephTaitWrites Apr 11
If you’re not interested in mathing (which is valid AF,) a member in a group I’m in made this chart assigning numbers from that link to whatever the most recognizable major city is for that county.
Each of the these numbers is the percent Covid increased in the last 15 days.
fhhMjWW.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: NikolaACDC
Highlevel info with some simply % change numbers:

Stephanie Tait ♿️ @StephTaitWrites Apr 11

fhhMjWW.jpg
Is this sewage data?

If so, have to be very careful. There’s no doubt there’s an upswing in cases and infection, but establishing a clear direct correlation between wastewater concentrations and infection prevalence is difficult. And % increase is tricky when starting from very low baselines (which can happen with noisy unsmoothed data).

Not saying there is not a problem - just saying this data is a bit tricky to interpret.

Is this sewage data?

If so, have to be very careful. There’s no doubt there’s an upswing in cases and infection, but establishing a clear direct correlation between wastewater concentrations and infection prevalence is difficult. And % increase is tricky when starting from very low baselines (which can happen with noisy unsmoothed data).

Not saying there is not a problem - just saying this data is a bit tricky to interpret.
Source tweet:

And clarified how to get it:

Yeah, pretty much unusable data. I can't even easily find the concentrations at that CDC site. They are there, but generally highly inaccessible. Definitely needs a lot of post-processing.

Here's a plot from what appears to be the Salem data (the 5172% one), provided by the CDC. If it's not right, I apologize, but just using the tools available. I tried to download the actual data and it looked like it was NA since 3/30 for treatment plant 961.

Could this explode to prior highs? Possibly! We'll see. Exponential growth isn't a problem until it's suddenly a problem. Is it a problem right now? Doesn't seem to be an emergency (see prior statement about exponentials).

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 12.55.25 PM.png

Adding: Looking at the data that is available, looks like it is at 24 million units (claimed to be normalized but I have my doubts) as of two weeks ago (the very latest data), up from 1 million in early March, and down from a high of 260 million in mid-January. Not sure where 5172% came from though (2400% seems more accurate).

It's good that they're introducing a two-week lag on this data, otherwise it might be useful. Important to make it a lagging indicator like everything else.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200