Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
~75% - XBB.1.5
Looks like NW is only place where it is < 50%

hL1dlBz.jpg

444rtCN.jpg

Js5wCwr.jpg
~80% - XBB.1.5 & >50% in Northwest
BLp8Qpl.jpg

0tNYWyc.jpg

5GAM4Bq.jpg

We continue to remain fortunate that we’ve only had one major variant.

It would be good to figure out how to make better vaccines and get them rolled out. These ones work, but being sick is very disruptive and costly.

Unfortunately the misinformation campaign of BS has been costly to counter and that has distracted from solving the actual problems and improving what we have.

We continue to remain fortunate that we’ve only had one major variant.

It would be good to figure out how to make better vaccines and get them rolled out. These ones work, but being sick is very disruptive and costly.

Unfortunately the misinformation campaign of BS has been costly to counter and that has distracted from solving the actual problems and improving what we have.

It’s funny how she wants to use more dangerous vaccines in the interest of safety. Truly an upside-down world.

The FDA literally pulled all the viral-vector vaccines off the market because they sucked and were also dangerous (relatively - they appeared nearly infinitely more dangerous than mRNA, though overall still “pretty safe” (I would not take one!)).

But let’s go back to them, I guess?

It’s funny how she wants to use more dangerous vaccines in the interest of safety. Truly an upside-down world.

The FDA literally pulled all the viral-vector vaccines off the market because they sucked and were also dangerous (relatively - they appeared nearly infinitely more dangerous than mRNA, though overall still “pretty safe” (I would not take one!)).

But let’s go back to them, I guess?
She's preaching to her (tiny) choir. But there are some in her district who will support her for her lunacy, even with no chance of passing it.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
~80% - XBB.1.5 & >50% in Northeast (updated: accidently typed Northwest)
BLp8Qpl.jpg

0tNYWyc.jpg

5GAM4Bq.jpg
Continued good news about it dominating still and no 'strong' variants else showing up.

Any opinions on how this impacts those that haven't caught it yet ... in a sense does the chance of catching it decrease?
Does the population that gets XBB.1.5 multiple times become less contagious to others? ie. have it for a shorter time or are not spreading as much?
I'm not sure how to ask all that but hopefully, the point of the question was still made.

~85% - XBB.1.5 topping out at 97+% in the Northwest

v3xzhE7.jpg

voecJRK.jpg

L9PJS3K.jpg

Last edited:
Topic for discussion related to COVID.

What's everyone's take on the apparent increase in other illness this winter/fall such as RSV, Strep, colds, etc? Some have been attributing this to so called "immunity debt", but the epidemiologists I've heard talk about it say that's not a thing.

The layman's argument I've heard is that while COVID social distancing measures also reduced the spread of those diseases, the result now is that kids immune systems have slacked off and are now more susceptible to everything else. These same people then use this to state that social distancing measures are bad.

But from what I understand, your immune system is always there ready to go and not giving it viruses to fight off doesn't make it weaker - in fact, generally the opposite is true.

If that's the case, why does it seem like people are generally getting sick more often, especially school kids?

On a related note - does a low dose exposure to a virus that your immune system successfully knocks out without any real infection/illness, prime your immune system in any meaningful?

What's everyone's take on the apparent increase in other illness this winter/fall such as RSV, Strep, colds, etc? Some have been attributing this to so called "immunity debt", but the epidemiologists I've heard talk about it say that's not a thing.

The layman's argument I've heard is that while COVID social distancing measures also reduced the spread of those diseases, the result now is that kids immune systems have slacked off and are now more susceptible to everything else. These same people then use this to state that social distancing measures are bad.

But from what I understand, your immune system is always there ready to go and not giving it viruses to fight off doesn't make it weaker - in fact, generally the opposite is true.

If that's the case, why does it seem like people are generally getting sick more often, especially school kids?

On a related note - does a low dose exposure to a virus that your immune system successfully knocks out without any real infection/illness, prime your immune system in any meaningful?
If people haven’t been getting sick and there is less immunity as a result, it makes sense that there would be an initial wave of illness, before equilibrium is reached again, once mixing behavior is altered.

I don’t know whether that is what is meant by immunity debt or not. I’m not sure why such a thing would not exist, though. Maybe I am not thinking about it correctly.

Doesn’t seem like it would have anything to do with weaker immune systems though. All that social distancing has to do with it is that it reduces the spread of disease, which is good, even if it is temporary (though one could learn from the pandemic about how to reduce risk of infection in general).

My take is that during COVID, people were wearing masks and washing hands for 20 seconds frequently, and avoiding crowded places. I believe they've 90% stopped doing that. I'm pretty sure that social distancing doesn't help much with airborne virus (although whether or not you are facing the person does matter). In addition, folks who thought they were at particular risk went to the store shortly after the store opened or had home delivery. Kids are in about the worst position because they are at school in a crowded classroom all day.

Reactions: JRP3
If people haven’t been getting sick and there is less immunity as a result, it makes sense that there would be an initial wave of illness, before equilibrium is reached again, once mixing behavior is altered.
This makes sense.

I don’t know whether that is what is meant by immunity debt or not. I’m not sure why such a thing would not exist, though. Maybe I am not thinking about it correctly.
No, the people generally talking about "immunity debt" are claiming that social distancing measures (and by this I mean all measures taken to minimize risk of disease spread, not just physically being farther apart) have actually damaged immune systems and left them unable to respond to viruses leaving people at higher risk of severe disease.

Note that this doesn't cover the other thought, which actually has some scientific backing behind it, that COVID has caused "immunity theft" (IMO all these terms are dumb!) where COVID itself, not the lack of exposure to viruses, has left immune systems weakened.

This article sums things up pretty well, but was looking for other input:

(though one could learn from the pandemic about how to reduce risk of infection in general)
Hah! If there's one thing that COVID has taught me, it's that people are dumb and are in general horrible at risk assessment.

It still baffles my mind that we can't seem to come to some sort of consensus that air filtration, ventilation and UVGI is good and should be mandatory for public spaces, especially public spaces where people are expected to be in close quarters.

This makes sense.

No, the people generally talking about "immunity debt" are claiming that social distancing measures (and by this I mean all measures taken to minimize risk of disease spread, not just physically being farther apart) have actually damaged immune systems and left them unable to respond to viruses leaving people at higher risk of severe disease.

Note that this doesn't cover the other thought, which actually has some scientific backing behind it, that COVID has caused "immunity theft" (IMO all these terms are dumb!) where COVID itself, not the lack of exposure to viruses, has left immune systems weakened.

This article sums things up pretty well, but was looking for other input:

Hah! If there's one thing that COVID has taught me, it's that people are dumb and are in general horrible at risk assessment.

It still baffles my mind that we can't seem to come to some sort of consensus that air filtration, ventilation and UVGI is good and should be mandatory for public spaces, especially public spaces where people are expected to be in close quarters.
I honestly don't have any unique insight, but I think Dr. Barton in the article you cited is right. We've seen bad RSV in red states like mine that fought any sort of public protection against Covid just as much as the states that shut down to a much greater extent.

It could just be coincidence (but it seems like a big one). Or, more likely, immunity theft by a virus that we are learning has novel effects on the human organism.

The immunity debt business just doesn't ring right with me, either. I don't think it is a thing. Certainly not a thing that would show up after only a year or two. That sounds like FUD to me.

Flu and RSV hospitalizations have actually dropped quite a bit since December

1677338497380.png

Remember when this was not a popular theory in this thread.

Now the current administration says it is most likely what happened . . .

Reactions: Dave EV and JRP3
Remember when this was not a popular theory in this thread.

Now the current administration says it is most likely what happened . . .
It would be interesting to go back and see what people on the thread actually said. I don’t think I ever expressed an opinion
(I searched.)
I am suspicious that this could be a case of intelligence officers looking to find evidence of a lab leak and finding sources who will tell them what they want to hear.

It would be interesting to go back and see what people on the thread actually said. I don’t think I ever expressed an opinion
(I searched.)
I am suspicious that this could be a case of intelligence officers looking to find evidence of a lab leak and finding sources who will tell them what they want to hear.

It’s a “low confidence” conclusion by the DofE with other agencies mostly inconclusive or concluding natural origin (only FBI aligns with DofE at this point).

This administration nor the previous have put out any definitive statement about the origin give the lack or evidence and lack of cooperation.

None of this changes the fact that this was a deadly worldwide pandemic and that countries who successfully implemented mitigation and effective vaccination strategies did better than those that did not.