Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what the pharmacist said, If your last booster was bi-variant, then it's not recommended to get another one. I assume that's because there will be no new T-cells created with an additional dose. The pharmacist checked and the fifth dose was mono-variant so no issue with the sixth dose. (Took him about 20 minutes on the phone to check, even though I obtained the last three from the same pharmacy.)
Thanks for the article link and quote. I’m curious how pharmacists/primary care providers will ethically approach giving a second bivalvent booster to someone who is not over 65 nor immune-compromised. Can they refuse giving it, even if the patient wants it?

Thanks for the article link and quote. I’m curious how pharmacists/primary care providers will ethically approach giving a second bivalvent booster to someone who is not over 65 nor immune-compromised. Can they refuse giving it, even if the patient wants it?
For people that really wanted it then they could theoretically go to a different place than they got their first one and 'pretend' they didn't get the first one. Everyone would have to do their own due diligence and decide how they want to handle these theoretical personal choices.

With me they said it was strongly not recommended. However, that was before the latest guidance. FYI, I’m well over 65.

excerpt

A team led by researchers at Weill Cornell Medicine, the University of Wisconsin-Madison; Scripps Research and the University of Chicago has identified an antibody that appears to block infection by all dominant variants of the virus that causes COVID-19, including omicron, the most recent.

Their discovery could lead to more potent vaccines and new antibody-based treatments.
In a study published March 6 in the Journal of Clinical Investigation, senior author Dr. Patrick Wilson, the Anne E. Dyson Professor of Pediatric Research and a member of the Gale and Ira Drukier Institute for Children’s Health at Weill Cornell Medicine, and his colleagues tested antibodies derived from patient blood samples against successive versions of the virus that emerged during the pandemic.

One of these proteins, dubbed S728-1157, proved highly effective at neutralizing not only older variants but also seven subtypes of omicron.

Cross-reactive antibodies. The cornerstone of a robust and long-lasting immune response.

Elon still trying to wrap his head around how things work, three years later. I guess science doesn’t come naturally to all of us!

3DE2524C-3561-453F-80CD-2724E6DE18EA.jpeg

Narrator: This is what is known in the parlance as a “dumb question” - and yes, there’s such a thing. It is not a good question. Use your head. Great mystery, my *ss.

Florida health officials removed key data from COVID vaccine report

"Florida Surgeon General Joseph Ladapo announced in October that young men should not get the COVID-19 vaccine, guidance that runs counter to medical advice issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
His recommendation was based on a state analysis that showed the risk of cardiac-related deaths increased significantly for some age groups after receiving a vaccine. It has been criticized by experts, including professors and epidemiologists at the University of Florida, where Ladapo is employed as a professor.
Now, draft versions of the analysis obtained by the Tampa Bay Times show that this recommendation was made despite the state having contradictory data. It showed that catching COVID-19 could increase the chances of a cardiac-related death much more than getting the vaccine.
..."

New news about old stuff. No surprise.

Elon still trying to wrap his head around how things work, three years later. I guess science doesn’t come naturally to all of us!

View attachment 927315

Narrator: This is what is known in the parlance as a “dumb question” - and yes, there’s such a thing. It is not a good question. Use your head. Great mystery, my *ss.
So for the uneducated among us, where did the flu go and why is it a dumb question?

So for the uneducated among us, where did the flu go and why is it a dumb question?
People were largely isolated (remote schooling, widespread masking, handwashing, remote work, travel down). Those things actually do work to reduce the spread of respiratory viruses. It's self evident for those of us in the game. Maybe not for everyone.

More dumb questions...
- Why do people publish charts without the legend?
I googled and looks like the orangey ones are Influenza type B lineages, and the aqua-like ones are type A.
- What happened to the southern hemisphere? I would've thought there would be mini-bumps for their winter...

The flu is not very contagious and has a reproduction rate only barely large enough to spread widely under normal conditions (summer is enough to shut it down as well). Reduce that a bit with social distancing etc and it just can’t sustain spread and it goes away (nearly).

It’s not as contagious as COVID since people have immunity, for the most part (and maybe due to inherent viral differences).

Since COVID is more contagious, the same measures did not completely stop spread - though tremendously slowed it down of course, saving millions of lives.

Not very complicated or mysterious and very well supported by the evidence. Not sure why Elon is confused - he thought COVID was going to go away so he clearly understands how this works, and so the influenza should be a no-brainer for him.

Last edited:
What happened to the southern hemisphere? I would've thought there would be mini-bumps for their winter...
There are sometimes. Only 10% of the world population lives there and a lot of them are not well tracked.

- Why do people publish charts without the legend?
Consider the source. Not the sharpest tool.

• Helpful
Reactions: CatB and BitJam
The flu is not very contagious and has a reproduction rate only barely large enough to spread widely under normal conditions (summer is enough to shut it down as well). Reduce that a bit with social distancing etc and it just can’t sustain spread and it goes away (nearly).

It’s not as contagious as COVID since people have immunity, for the most part (and maybe due to inherent viral differences).

Since COVID is more contagious, the same measures did not completely stop spread - though tremendously slowed it down of course, saving millions of lives.

Not very complicated or mysterious and very well supported by the evidence. Not sure why Elon is confused - he thought COVID was going to go away so he clearly understands how this works, and so the influenza should be a no-brainer for him.
I vote for yearly work from home, to limit flu spread. Dec - Jan?

Wastewater levels on a downward trend except for a recent rise in the west, hopefully only a temporary increase.

1681566437147.png

More blue dots in NY than I've seen previously

1681566514473.png

The flu is not very contagious and has a reproduction rate only barely large enough to spread widely under normal conditions.......
What? Not very contagious? You've clearly not been paying attention. A lot years influenza has backed up our emergency departments and hospitals nationwide worse than covid. The difference was/is that it ain't a totally new and therefore scary unknown........Influenza is however different every year, continually adding unusual manifestations.

What? Not very contagious? You've clearly not been paying attention. A lot years influenza has backed up our emergency departments and hospitals nationwide worse than covid. The difference was/is that it ain't a totally new and therefore scary unknown........Influenza is however different every year, continually adding unusual manifestations.
The R0 (infectivity) of influenza is typically less for influenza than covid, and the time a person is contagious is about a day for flu vs. several days for covid.

1681568795815.png

I think you could say both are very contagious, but Covid is worse. So when we saw the effects of shutting down and masking, it was much more apparent for flu because it almost completely shut it down. I have no doubt whatsoever that had we not, the peaks in that chart for covid would have been much higher, and the death rates, both directly from covid and indirectly because health care was overwhelmed.

The R0 (infectivity) of influenza is typically less for influenza than covid, and the time a person is contagious is about a day for flu vs. several days for covid.

View attachment 928635

I think you could say both are very contagious, but Covid is worse. So when we saw the effects of shutting down and masking, it was much more apparent for flu because it almost completely shut it down. I have no doubt whatsoever that had we not, the peaks in that chart for covid would have been much higher, and the death rates, both directly from covid and indirectly because health care was overwhelmed.

If people would be considerate of others by wearing proper N95 masks and doing frequent hand washing, neither would be as much of a concern as they are is today. But I suppose that's too much to ask. Sigh

Perhaps, but that's a very different statement than saying influenza is not very contagious. If someone wants to compare how theoretically contagious various viruses are have at it. An intellectual game. In a practical sense, it doesn't tell you a lot........

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz