Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know what is happening with you, but I still have a TON of friends that text me daily thinking we are totally over-reacting to this. I've been trying to put the fear into them, but with only marginal success.

I wonder if there are any videos of what its like to SUFFER from pneumonia?

as I have written a few times before, I lived thru it back in the late 90's, when I was a bit younger and stronger. I was out of work for several months, had the drowning sensation from all the fluid in my lungs, often had to fight for air and have my SO slap me on my back while I was bent over a sink, trying to get SOMETHING out of my lungs so I could put air in. most terrifying time in my whole life.

all it takes is to have someone see or FEEL that and they'll change their tune.

people keep talking about this or that percentage of death. that's entirely the wrong way to convince people, imho. the better way is to show how terrible it is to ENDURE it for months at a time. if you are lucky to be in a hospital, that's great, but if you are alone or home or they run out of beds, its scary as hell to fight for breath, every few hours, for weeks and weeks. no sleep, no improvement for weeks. pure hell.

there needs to be a way to have people actually understand this. very few have experienced pneumonia and that's why so many are thinking its 'no big deal'.

What does “if we do nothing” mean here? Clearly employers and communities across the country are shutting down and doing things. Is the implication that even with American society closed down, we will reach 2.2 million? Will our efforts make any kind of impact here?
It's just misleading information at this point. There's no option to do nothing. We are going the opposite direction. US is mobilizing a massive suppression campaign to slow down the spread via testing, social distancing, shutdowns, etc to reduce the impact.

The president is talking about a plan to send $1000 to every American below a certain income level to alleviate loss of income during the Covid 19 pandemic. I suspect I will fall into the income level that is scheduled to receive the money if they base the income level on tax returns, the only way I can see it happening. I do not need the money and I suspect others who receive it will not either. I would like to see local initiatives set up so that those not in need could donate the money to a local group that could reliably distribute this money to those in need. I will contact local media and government leaders to see if this can be set up. I encourage others to consider this.

The president is talking about a plan to send $1000 to every American below a certain income level to alleviate loss of income during the Covid 19 pandemic. I suspect I will fall into the income level that is scheduled to receive the money if they base the income level on tax returns, the only way I can see it happening. I do not need the money and I suspect others who receive it will not either. I would like to see local initiatives set up so that those not in need could donate the money to a local group that could reliably distribute this money to those in need. I will contact local media and government leaders to see if this can be set up. I encourage others to consider this.
If you know someone donate directly to those who need it.

I wonder if there are any videos of what its like to SUFFER from pneumonia?

as I have written a few times before, I lived thru it back in the late 90's, when I was a bit younger and stronger. I was out of work for several months, had the drowning sensation from all the fluid in my lungs, often had to fight for air and have my SO slap me on my back while I was bent over a sink, trying to get SOMETHING out of my lungs so I could put air in. most terrifying time in my whole life.

all it takes is to have someone see or FEEL that and they'll change their tune.

people keep talking about this or that percentage of death. that's entirely the wrong way to convince people, imho. the better way is to show how terrible it is to ENDURE it for months at a time. if you are lucky to be in a hospital, that's great, but if you are alone or home or they run out of beds, its scary as hell to fight for breath, every few hours, for weeks and weeks. no sleep, no improvement for weeks. pure hell.

there needs to be a way to have people actually understand this. very few have experienced pneumonia and that's why so many are thinking its 'no big deal'.
Living a life of continual worry wreaks havoc on the immune system and leaves you susceptable to all kinds of viral and bacterial infection.

Reactions: MXLRplus
There definitely will be such sites set up. All sorts of support is popping up in PHL for hourly good service workers, theater folk, etc...

Notice that even with all mitigation strategies, we are WAY above the red line, which is ICU capacity.

Their top mitigation strategy on that graph only considers social distancing for > 70 year olds. (The old UK plan basically).

There's no line that shows outcome with social distancing for the far majority of the population.

What does “if we do nothing” mean here? Clearly employers and communities across the country are shutting down and doing things. Is the implication that even with American society closed down, we will reach 2.2 million? Will our efforts make any kind of impact here?
The 2.2 Million estimate was if we lived our lives normally. By shutting everything down it should be much lower.

The 2.2 Million estimate was if we lived our lives normally. By shutting everything down it should be much lower.

I feel like the slide deck that you were presented with was drafted over a week ago and not really updated since. We now have better social distancing enforced than the best-case scenario listed in the deck, and there is also significant efforts to increase respirators and beds.

Including that, a couple of hours ago, the Defense Production Act was invoked. So a graph that shows that the number of hospital beds will stay the same from now until October is very unrealistic.

It's a good "scare straight" graph to get people to stop moving around, but it doesn't appear to be a great one to present in a clinical setting.

One thing my physicians friends tell me is that they put patients in a prone position,
because they breathe better.
One very sad aspect of a pandemic is that many of these patients die alone, without their family nearby...

@rdalcanto as you are a well respected member of this community, and even yourself a few days ago doubtful about overraction, could you please go in the main investor thread and talk some sense into the people?
Me and others tried to say few things that were taken as too pessimistic, but I fear people still don't get the gravity of the situation.

I am doubtful I'll receive it, but if we do, my wife and I have already committed to depositing it in our accounts, then sending the amount out to our local food bank along with any extra donation based on their needs.

I feel like the slide deck that you were presented with was drafted over a week ago and not really updated since. We now have better social distancing enforced than the best-case scenario listed in the deck, and there is also significant efforts to increase respirators and beds.

Including that, a couple of hours ago, the Defense Production Act was invoked. So a graph that shows that the number of hospital beds will stay the same from now until October is very unrealistic.

It's a good "scare straight" graph to get people to stop moving around, but it doesn't appear to be a great one to present in a clinical setting.
Agreed, a week ago we were "doing nothing" so the graph made sense. Today we're already doing a lot more than the lowest curve on that graph, and we're about to lock down even harder.

I'm less optimistic about the Defense Production Act. It's easy to create hospital beds, just take over vacant hotels, college dorms, etc. The DPA doesn't magically create factories that can churn out N95 masks and ventilators, though.

Dr. Birx said our numbers would soon look worse than Italy's. I believe we'll ramp faster as these high throughput test centers light up. And it's quite possible we'll exceed their total case count. But per capita? I'd bet against that. Speaking of Italy, they found 4.2k new cases today. That's disheartening, I was hoping four straight days of ~3.5k indicated they were hitting the peak.

I am doubtful I'll receive it, but if we do, my wife and I have already committed to depositing it in our accounts, then sending the amount out to our local food bank along with any extra donation based on their needs.

Excellent. That's our plan exactly if we get the check - I am retired so it's possible we will. Note that charitable organizations that typically take donations of food, clothing or goods in person have shut down those operations, so cash now is especially important for them.

linux-works asked about suffering from pneumonia. I was with my sister when she died from it. It's something I am motivated to avoid.

Last edited:
I'm less optimistic about the Defense Production Act. It's easy to create hospital beds, just take over vacant hotels, college dorms, etc. The DPA doesn't magically create factories that can churn out N95 masks and ventilators, though.

It does a little bit. e.g. If the government place an order at e.g. 3M for masks, the DPA requires them to drop everything else and immediately work on the government order. They also can't refuse the order.