Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to check but couldn't find that they would be doing random screening. People with symptoms are much more likely to seek testing. Are they screening asymptomatic people randomly without known exposure? IgG assays will provide better data later about population level exposure.
No they are probably not screening people with no symptoms or known exposure. However since they seem have it under control they must be finding all the clusters and doing testing and contact tracing. It doesn't seem possible for them to have so few new cases if they are not.
Obviously there is some undercounting on total cases but the number of deaths from the known cases will continue to rise.

But, do I agree that there should be a minimum set of regulations that ALL municipalities and States are following. As an example, Governor Cooper of North Carolina is still allowing groups of 50 to meet (he just moved today down from 75) which is well beyond the Federal Government guideline. As a result, I suspect NC cases will continue to increase since he is not taking the right steps.

Dr. Birx has clearly been swayed to the dark side. In the press conference she said that all states are going to follow different curves and so will be shifted in time. This is utter horses**t. If you get on it NOW in all states, all the worst states will finish last (because they started at the highest level and will take the longest to decay!), and the ones that currently aren't nearly so bad, but have not started extreme measures, will finish first, even though they are starting a lot later. It's exponentially less painful the sooner you start relative to your case load.

Such a f-ing waste of money and economic output (and lives, of course!) to not just demand the right policy and just shut it all down. Talk about stupid. We're gonna be futzing around with this for months as a result, whereas we could just follow the 6-8 week curve everyone else has if we actually tried. But it's completely obvious that everyone has to do it at the same time. Dr. Birx knows this, I am sure...

One positive from this afternoon's stats (contrasted from AM report) is that positive count went only up by 56 even though test count was up by 900. Yesterday, the increase was 300 AM to PM.

There were 341 cases added over the last day in Florida, the largest daily increase, with a 10% positive rate from tests (that is an incredibly high positive rate - for reference Washington State is around 7%).

The previous day Florida added 172 cases, but with a lot fewer tests (but with 11% positivity). So the good news at least is they appear to have brought a ton of test capacity online.

Florida is in huge trouble. They need to do a statewide stay at home order. The places/towns with few cases will quickly be brought under control, if they actually get compliance.

Florida historical data:
The COVID Tracking Project

Florida is in trouble because they're over 1000 cases, and still haven't communicated the seriousness of the situation to their population. California started their shelter in place order in the worst locations on March 16th when they were at 335 cases. And a full statewide shelter in place (which produced additional small coverage) when they were under 1000 cases.

So I'd say Florida's setting themselves up already to be about 3x worse than California.

The only way we exit this sh**show is to actually get real testing capacity up and running so we can extract all the disease from the population quickly and do massive contact tracing and quarantines of all affected populations. In conjunction, in the meantime, of course, with shutdown of everything non-essential and social distancing.

Last edited:
FT has this useful "live" chart.

ET1FfF2X0AYKvdz.jpg

Amazon gets $30 billion. Buy AMZN!

Pay people unemployment, boosted to a special higher COVID rate. There's no reason to send checks to people who are still working.

Small businesses regularly file sales taxes, etc. There's a way to give lifeline relief for businesses that show large drops, especially in obviously affected categories like restaurants, bars, etc. Self-employed would need a new program, similar to unemployment, scaled by the change in top line income declared in their quarterly estimated tax filings.

There's no magic bullet, some will find a way to game any system. Maybe hire groups of laid-off workers to do detective work and give bounties for clear fraud.

To hand this out with things like unemployment creates a MASSIVE bureaucracy. And require people to actually become unemployed, which is much harder to unwind later.

It's much much simpler to just send money to everybody, have people keep their jobs, then tax it back next year from corporations that didn't actually require it.

Even if you DO want to give it to individuals directly, just give it to everybody, then tax it back from those making over the cutoff on their 2020 taxes. Don't try and figure out who is "worthy" beforehand based on tax returns that will now be 2 years old.

Just got this message from one of my American suppliers (ingredients for food supplements), who provides an important natural ingredient from India that we urgently need or we will soon run out of stock.

---

The situation as it stands:
  • More than 1/3 of the population of the US under “Stay at home” lockdown orders, including California
    • We are classified as an essential business as far as we understand, so we will continue operating in California with essential team members and needs only. Our responses will therefore be prioritized to more immediate needs
  • Most states and all major cities in India also have imposed lockdown measures until April 1, 2020. That includes manufacturing sites
  • Most ground cargo transportation has been ordered stopped. That affects our botanical shipments from farm to factory, and cargo shipments from the factory
  • All passenger (pax) international and domestic flights in India have been stopped for the week of March 23rd, heading into at least April 1st. This is the latest as of today, but may change or extend
    • Pax flights are how a majority of the air freight is moved around the world
  • US Customs and FDA are facing staff shortages/backlogs at LAX, so there could likely be delays in clearance
How this affects us:
  • Stricter lockdown controls in India closes our factory, and movement of all cargoes until April 1st
  • With pax travel drastically reduced and international flight bans out of India, we are unable to get our shipments out of India. This could be the case for the remainder of March 2020
    • We are trying to see if the heavily limited space in cargo flights can be an option
    • The Indian government is restricting that cargo to essential products only, and we are checking to see how we can fit in
---

Conclusion: we are f***ed.

And this probably is what hundreds of thousands of companies around the world are facing the next few months. I'm afraid we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the economic impact of interrupted supply lines.

Also today, the stricter lockdown which the Italian government imposed is halting deliveries of postal packages to about 40% of the country (including Rome and Milan), killing a large part of that very important market for us for at least the next few weeks.

Well, there's always TSLA stock to fall back on. Some day.

Finally, I think there is a small signal of curve bending in Washington State.

A reduction of total positives yesterday (~200), even though test rate was still very high. 5.4% positive, as compared to their historical ~7%.

The COVID Tracking Project

Today, they added something like 226 cases, but with only 3000 tests, so a 7.4% positive rate. But in terms of growth rate, they definitely seem to be growing more linearly than many other states. And their testing seems to be ok (though I would definitely like to see more capacity).

The whole reason to go big on the social distancing and shutting everything down is to completely minimize the economic impact and short the timeframe. Looks like we're seeing it.

Damnit, there are times I hate it when I'm right.

I once knew someone on plaquenil (for a short number of years) for SLE, I know they were respectful (fearful and grateful) of it. I only recently found out that they had a friend who had lost their sight to it, (but that was from from long exposure to use of it in a Malarial location long time ago)

I don't know how it affects Covid19, I'm unsure if it has any anitcovid19 properties within a human (despite in vitro results). It is however an effective treatment for SLE, so it probably has considerable benefit in muting autoimmune inflammation damage to the body in developed Covid19 cases. And everybit of help counts, Covid 19 is kinda barely fatal so tip from fatal to nonfatal may be small change for some.

Last edited:
JFC.

Man Dies After Self-Medicating For Coronavirus With Chloroquine Phosphate

According to the Banner Health hospital system in Phoenix, the couple, both in their sixties, ingested chloroquine phosphate, "an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks." One aquarium supply store online described it as a "wonder drug" that was once only available through veterinarians — for saltwater fish, not humans. The site is currently sold out of the drug.

Thirty minutes after taking the chloroquine phosphate, the couple experienced serious, immediate effects that required them to go to the hospital.

And this probably is what hundreds of thousands of companies around the world are facing the next few months. I'm afraid we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the economic impact of interrupted supply lines.

this is why I get mad at people who are thinking that we can get back to business as usual in anything less than 3 months time. it *will* throw some people off course, that will take YEARS (like, 2+) to fully recover from. just to get back to where they were before, and that assumes a caring and responsible government (ha!) helping bridge the gap.

I'm on another forum (a DIY oriented one) and we have annual demo meets every year in october. I brought up the subject that we should just assume this year's is canceled. yet, others were thinking 'it will be all over by end of summer'. THAT is what is known as toxic thinking. it will get people killed.

look, all events are OFF until we know what the hell is going on. all things are OFF, ok? your vacation, all that stuff. its off until we know better.

damn.

sorry, had to vent. (better vent now, than - oh hell, I wont even complete that joke)

Ok, let's look as some more charts to see how the pandemic is progressing. First let's look at Italy.
ETz266BXsAEaONy.jpg

The top two panels should be pretty easy to understand. These are simply representing cumulative confirmed case and cumulative confirmed deaths. In both cases, we see curves which are nearly exponential growth. But the growth rates are not constant from day to day. To see the day growth factor (the ratio of adjacent day, cum_count(t)/cum_count(t-1)), look at the bottom two panels. Firstly, we can ignore the left-hand side of these sub-plots. Here the counts are too small and the process too underdeveloped to get meaningful ratios. But focus on the trend on the right-hand side. Notice that for the past 3 week these growth factors have been trending down. The can only go as far down as a ratio of 1, since we are dealing with positive cumulative counts. Italy want both of these rates to decline to 1. Once they get to 1 and stay there, the cases have stopped growing. Notice also that death will usually lag a confirmed case and it may take 2 weeks or so for a case to be closed as recovered. So you need to drive down case growth quickly, and eventually death growth rates will decline too as survivors heal up.

We see that Italy is make progress driving down the case growth factor. It's down to about 1.1 (i.e. 10% growth per day), but 3 weeks ago it was over 1.2 (20% growth per day). This is what all their effort as social distancing is accomplishing. It may not seem like much, but it is starting to bend the curve. The death growth factor is also coming down, but more slowly. It's at about 1.15 (15% daily growth). So Italy is slowing this process down, but really they need to shut down transmission much more firmly.

For comparison, let's look at Iran, which is performing comparably to Hubei. (I did not see a recent Hubei chart posted.)
ETydyfBXYAIl3RU.jpg

We see that Iran has been much more successful in tamping down case growth. A few days ago it was down to about 1.05, but recently it has bounced back up to 1.1. The death growth factor has also been coming down, but recently it has bumped up just a bit. Maybe Iran has just had some new reporting units come on line, if this is just a data issue. But it could also be that Iran is suffering some renewed outbreak.

Korea gives us a picture of what it looks like to totally shut down transmission.
ETyHG86WoAA0xbv.jpg

The decline in case growth over the last 4 weeks is truly impressive. The last 10 days is almost no case growth at all. The death growth factor is still working through the large number of cases that were confirmed weeks ago. This is very effective public health response.

Finally, lets look at the US.
ET09dVaXgAAC2W6.jpg

The growth factors here are truly frightening. Instead of declining, the cast growth rate is actually increasing, pushing up to 1.4 (40% daily growth). This high case growth is also driving up the death growth factor, now about 1.3. Case growth is a leading indicator of death growth. So we need to be prepared to see deaths shoot up even faster (on a relative basis) than what we have seen so far. Cumulative deaths will be growing about 40% per day for quite a while. We've got to drive down case growth.

In terms of Tesla returning to auto manufacture, we probably need to see CA (if not the whole US) get growth factors down below 1.05 and keep it there for 2 weeks. Easily this is a 6-week delay.

I once knew someone on plaquenil (for a short number of years) for SLE, I know they were respectful (fearful and grateful) of it. I only recently found out that they had a friend who had lost their sight to it, (but that was from from long exposure to use of it in a Malarial location long time ago)

I don't know how it affects Covid19, I'm unsure if it has any anitcovid19 properties within a human (despite in vitro results). It is however an effective treatment for SLE, so it probably has considerable benefit in muting autoimmune inflammation damage to the body in developed Covid19 cases. And everybit of help counts, Covid 19 is kinda barely fatal so tip from fatal to nonfatal may be small change for some.

Read the article. The man didn’t ingest chloroquine, he ingested the phosphate salt of it.

• Informative
Reactions: renim