Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this information. However, remember that zinc is literally everywhere, but that doesn’t necessarily correlate with cellular concentration. Every galvanized heating duct spews more zinc than your body can realistically incorporate. First, zinc needs to be chelated to be incorporated into your body, then it needs to be passed into the cells using an iodophor transport mechanism. Adding more zinc “may” help, but it’s not the only thing.

Yes indeed. And most people probably don’t need zinc supplementation anyways. It is the ionophore that is important, supposedly, like Quercetin, to supplement.

World data through Mar 31

Least effective benders
US
Turkey
UK

Most effective benders
Switzerland
Italy

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 7.49.33 AM.jpg

But we didn't have weeks of 10,000 deaths per day. Those are coming. I would bet a steak dinner on it.
How about 100K deaths per day? According to my spreadsheet tracker, end of this month or next month.
Coronavirus doubling of deaths every x days
At current trend 10K per day deaths is coming after mid month. For comparison, U.S. normally has 8K deaths per day and 7K deaths per day due to age related illnesses.

Last edited:
Here is a summary of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital's update from yesterday:

A number of other hot spots such as Detroit and New Orleans.

News yesterday: javits center open, and comfort navy ship arrived. There are some additional sites that are going to be auxiliary hospitals.

Making sure to coordinate carefully with other hospitals.

NYP Snapshot: 1,651 patients admitted with positive covid status. 25% critically ill, 420 on vents at the present time.

There is no change in our testing guidance: it is still being reserved for the sickest admitted patients. (PCR test: nose swab)

Eventually there will be more out about the blood test, we are working hard to bring that forward.

ICU expansion: we have approx. 400 ICU beds across the enterprise, we are rapidly increasing our ICU capacity to try to get to 1,100 ICU beds. We are taking spaces and transitioning them to ICU spaces.

Town Hall: Two leaders of infectious disease will be answering questions [email protected] (tomorrow: Wednesday 5:30pm)

The emergency department has partnered with our analytics and IT team to monitor patients at home. This is one way that we are trying to get patients home safely.

Raise your hand if you have NOT been to the supermarket in the last 10 days? Are you going this weekend?
Haven't been to a store in more than 3 weeks, maybe 4 now. I stocked up early.
Lol....how do you think all that Whole Foods stuff got in the bags? Someone that's been roving around a supermarket 8 hours a day for this entire pandemic touched every single item, and then you brought them into your house. That's like sharing a beer at a bar with an ER nurse.

Going to Whole Foods would probably be better.
All deliveries, including mail, are handled with gloves and go into the garage for 3 days before coming into the house.

'I Love Rock 'n' Roll' songwriter Alan Merrill dies after coronavirus diagnosis
'I Love Rock 'n' Roll' songwriter Alan Merrill dies after coronavirus diagnosis - CNN
Singer-songwriter John Prine critically ill with Covid-19
John Prine critically ill with COVID-19 - CNN

no country for old man. so sad!

This is showing up in every country. About twice as many men as women are dying from COVID-19.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...r-dying-more-often-covid-19-spain-data-shows/

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
The IHME forecast for the peak deaths per day number already seems to have gone up, since the White House task force presentation, 1 day later:

In the WH presentation, the peak deaths per day were expected to be:
2,214 on April 15.

The current number I find on the website is:
2,607 on April 16.

I'll non-scientifically predict that it will be pushed further back and further up.
Death rates drive their model. The weekend slowdown (mostly a reporting slowdown, IMHO) pushed their peak down, "catch-up Tuesday" drove it back up.

Deaths and D/D growth in cumulative deaths (from Worldometers)
3/27 - 400 / 30.9%
3/28 - 525 / 31.0%
3/29 - 363 / 16.4%
3/30 - 558 / 21.6%
3/31 - 912 / 29.0%

I'm sure they do some smoothing, but numbers that whipsaw like that will play havoc with any model.
Interesting to follow Governors that are trump pansies. This is Florida:
Lockdowns are extremely unpopular in rural areas. Governors want Trump to take the heat, he wants the governors to take it.
....this ventilator pie in the sky nonsense ... that the majority of people die on anyway ?
Source for "majority"? I saw 86% in a random e-mail, of similar quality to the one which claimed the virus couldn't withstand 77 deg F temperature.
According to the American Academy of Opthalmology, just released today, 1-3% of SARS-CoV-2 cases result in pink-eye.
Coronavirus Eye Safety
It's springtime, probably 1-3% of the general population have pinkeye....
This helmet type ventilation device seems to be made in the US in modest quantities and costs less than $500.
One of those ICU tour videos showed a couple people in these helmets.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
How about 100K deaths per day? According to my spreadsheet tracker, end of this month or next month.
Coronavirus doubling of deaths every x days
At current trend 10K per day deaths is coming after mid month. For comparison, U.S. normally has 8K deaths per day and 7K deaths per day due to age related illnesses.

If we don't see bending of the curve long before 100k deaths per day then we are in some serious trouble. I believe we will, but there could be a few days where deaths top 10k.

How about 100K deaths per day? According to my spreadsheet
Use e^kt for a continuous growth rate.

I've set up simplistic models similar to your spreadsheet using the above exponential function and they also are wildly inaccurate. I'm not positive but I think the basic error is an assumption of R naught throughout, when in fact R is a moving target ("R effective") due to progressive immunity.

They are fine for looking foward for a few days or at very low levels of penetration in the community but they soon break.

this ventilator pie in the sky nonsense ... that the majority of people die on anyway ?

Source for "majority"? I saw 86% in a random e-mail, of similar quality to the one which claimed the virus couldn't withstand 77 deg F temperature.
It would be interesting to know the real numbers. Even if the majority of people put on a ventilator survive it's still quite possible that the majority of time spent on ventilators is taken by those who die.

Haven't been to a store in more than 3 weeks, maybe 4 now. I stocked up early.

All deliveries, including mail, are handled with gloves and go into the garage for 3 days before coming into the house.
You are.....let's just say the exception. Who is doing this, maybe .1% of Americans?

And what's being accomplished other than flattening infections? You're still gonna get it at the first baseball game you go to.

They are fine for looking foward for a few days or at very low levels of penetration in the community but they soon break.
Was accurate all through March. If testing is accurate then doubling will slow to 6.5 days from current 3. Prediction has taken this into account. A more accurate predictor from postive tests would be hospitalization rate, since deaths follow a few weeks after that. Saw hospitalization data over the weekend but don't remember where. I'll start tracking hospitalization rate once I find it again.

Last edited:
If we don't see bending of the curve long before 100k deaths per day then we are in some serious trouble. I believe we will, but there could be a few days where deaths top 10k.
At 100K deaths per day, we soon saturate, and bending will occur because so many people already have it or had it. I don't know how to define serious trouble, but on the bright side the curve will happen one way or another, and we can get back to something more normal.

Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly

From the discussion after all the links this is the recommendation:

"My advice is to take ZINC GLYCINATE twice daily at 20 mg each time for health maintenance. I would leave the trials of ZINC IONOPHORES to medical professionals. Of course, you could get yourself some QUERCETIN for emergencies and use it in conjunction with the ZINC, but you shouldn’t need to do that if you are in good health already. QUERCETIN helps the body absorb ZINC, that should be your goal…increased ZINC absorption. Don’t go overboard with it. Try to control the impulse to cure yourself of something you don’t have. 40 mg of ZINC per day will give you a barrier to the disease that will keep you healthy."

As for the dosage of QUERCETIN the consensus was no more than 500 mg a day and only AFTER you get sick. I have no idea how qualified the people who make these recommendations are, but I still personally plan to follow it and will modify based on how I feel.

You are.....let's just say the exception. Who is doing this, maybe .1% of Americans?

And what's being accomplished other than flattening infections? You're still gonna get it at the first baseball game you go to.
I don't go to baseball games. Flattening the curve is important and the longer you delay getting it the longer time you give the medical community the ability to deal with others, and the greater chance they come up with improved treatments. Also you seem to assume that everyone exposed gets it, which does not seem to be the case. Quite frankly I can go on like this for months as long as I can still get food and the electricity stays on. Yes I realize I'm in the minority.

Source for "majority"?
I thought you were a physician ? Apparently no ICU experience. The survival rate unrelated to Covid in the elderly due to sepsis is ~ 50%
Risk factors for mortality in elderly and very elderly critically ill patients with sepsis: a prospective, observational, multicenter cohort study
Do you have much doubt that Covid is more lethal ?

Second, just look at the Covid data of mortality and ventilation

----
It should be drop dead obvious that the way to survive a ventilator ... is to not need one.

• Informative
Reactions: winfield100
Marc Lipsitch and colleagues recently published a paper in the New England Journal of Medicine. Among other harebrained ideas, they suggest testing be done to understand the disease, so we can develop rational strategies to respond to it.

Funny joke, and it wasn't even published on April 1.

A key point of these recommendations is that viral testing should not be used only for clinical care. A proportion of testing capacity must be reserved to support public health efforts to characterize the trajectory and severity of the disease. Although this approach may result in many negative test results and therefore appear “wasteful,” such set-aside capacity will permit a far clearer understanding of the spread of the epidemic and wiser use of resources to combat it....​

Early investments in characterizing SARS-CoV-2 will pay off handsomely in improving the epidemic response.... Starting these epidemiologic and surveillance activities promptly will enable us to choose the most efficient ways of controlling the epidemic and help us avoid interventions that may be unnecessarily costly or unduly restrictive of normal activity. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2002125
In the meantime, I received this helpful reminder from Kaiser, which so far thankfully has not been tricked into engaging in such frivolous and wasteful attempts to understand the disease and how it spreads:

Remember, you don't need to be tested if you aren't showing symptoms
We’re prepared to test patients for COVID-19 if they meet the guidelines set out by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and your local public health agency. Testing isn’t recommended for people with mild or moderate symptoms, and you don’t need to be tested if you aren’t showing symptoms.

COVID-19 tests are only available when medically necessary, so please don’t come into a Kaiser Permanente facility for testing unless a doctor refers you. If you’re concerned that you or a family member are showing symptoms of COVID-19, please contact us before coming in.

Last edited: