Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
was guessing you might have come to 11k

Sorry to confuse you - I am math challenged and was going from memory. I should have said ~8k. (~27k -~19k). I had an 11k number in my head from yesterday.

Garbage in garbage out, I guess.

As I understand it, the number missed in the age group evaluation is 26,744 - 18,722 = 8,022.

Yes that is what I meant.

I can't tell what you mean by "zero based".

I was trying to calculate how many *cases* had not been assigned an age. But those seem to not have the same issues. (Totals nearly match....I think...)

Anyway, probably not worth discussing this table too much more. Suffice to say it is another significant datapoint that seems to suggest around 1% IFR.

It doesn't need to be perfect. It takes a measurable dose of virus (several hundred particles) to cause an infection, so killing most of them (e.g. 99%) is just as effective as killing all of them.
I'm thinking of the ones that get between the material and in cracks that don't get the full temperature. There could be quite a lot of those.

Suffice to say it is another significant datapoint that seems to suggest around 1% IFR.

The datapoint with the largest sample size so far, AFAIK, with 60,000.

As a far as I can tell from using google translate on various official statistics, Spain generally refers to cases as "confirmed", and the death numbers next to them are not marked specifically, yet appear to correspond to the worldometers numbers. If they included so-called "probable deaths", I would certainly expect that to be mentioned. They obviously don't include so-called "excess deaths". So both those numbers would be distinctly larger than 1.1x%.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel
I'm thinking of the ones that get between the material and in cracks that don't get the full temperature. There could be quite a lot of those.

Sure, not a perfect mitigation, so it's not a substitute for distancing / masks / gloves / hand-washing / etc. (None of these things are substitutes for any of the others.) Likewise, seatbelts are not perfect, so we have airbags, but airbags are not perfect, so we have seatbelts. :)

Alameda county is the new SF bay area "hot spot". Not good news for the Tesla factory...

cv-ba.png

• Informative
Reactions: DanCar and madodel
Alameda county is the new SF bay area "hot spot". Not good news for the Tesla factory...

View attachment 546580
One death in Alameda county this weekend. Californians are the most paranoid people on Earth. More deaths of homeless because of panic, than the pandemic. Go back to work and enjoy your restaurants and beaches. You might have to "Quarantine" Santa Monica though.

Reactions: DanCar
  • Informative
Reactions: TheTalkingMule
One death in Alameda county this weekend. Californians are the most paranoid people on Earth. More deaths of homeless because of panic, than the pandemic. Go back to work and enjoy your restaurants and beaches. You might have to "Quarantine" Santa Monica though.

I got to defend CA there. Who knows why, but in the last two weeks cases increased in Alameda (excluding Berkeley) by an amount that I would roughly guess to correspond to maybe 7-9 deaths above previous level (their total being 95). As far as I can tell, that didn't happen in SF for example. I wouldn't make a big fuss about it, but paranoid it doesn't seem to me. A question is whether that might lead to an exponential increase.

Could be just increased testing, though.
EDIT: However, hospitalized non-ICU also went up since 5/25.

Last edited:
Just note also that's in a laboratory, real life might need higher to be effective.

Real world you might have more than 10000 units of coronavirus hanging around. You don't need to up the temperature though, you could do two 15 minute cycles back to back and that would kill more virus than a single cycle.

It's all a matrix of heat over time. Increase the temp and you can do it for less time to get the same effect but you also increase damage to items in the car that are susceptible to heat and aren't viruses. Increase the time at the same temp and it's more effective but doesn't expose materials in the car to the higher temps.

From today’s SFChronicle on Alameda County CV infection numbers:
Why the coronavirus is surging in Alameda County

Quote: “Alameda County, along with most of its neighbors, has moved slowly toward reopening. And “because of what we’re seeing in just this week, I’m planning to be super conservative about what else we’ll allow,” said Health Officer Erica Pan in an interview.”

It’s clear that Tesla would not have been allowed to restart operations for weeks, maybe months, if Elon hadn’t forced the issue.

Quote: “Alameda County, along with most of its neighbors, has moved slowly toward reopening. And “because of what we’re seeing in just this week, I’m planning to be super conservative about what else we’ll allow,” said Health Officer Erica Pan in an interview.”

It’s clear that Tesla would not have been allowed to restart operations for weeks, maybe months, if Elon hadn’t forced the issue.

To put things in perspective, those hardest hit areas in Alameda County have about the same number of cases (per 100K) as Belgium, and we’re about to open the bars and restaurants next week. But we only have 1% positive test cases currently, which is much lower than the peak of 11% in some of those Alameda counties.