Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Universal healthcare, doesn't that mean people would act on greed and get sick on purpose just to take advantage of the free healthcare? ;)
No. Certainly doesn't work that way in Canada. It won't in the U.S. either because people don't really like to go to the doctor. But keeping people healthy is good for the economy (both personal and country).

If goverment healthcare helps dealing with this virus as you are alluding too then that would be good for us. It seems like the high risk group is the 70+ and everyone 65 and older is covered by goverment healthcare (Medicare) in the US. Plus, the poor are covered under government healthcare (Medicaid) as well.
Provided you can afford the 20% that medicare doesn't cover and also the drugs--unless you can pay extra for the gap policies. And live in one of the states where Medicare and Medicaid aren't hamstrung.

Last edited:
I didn't check, right now I'm staying at home and I'd probably find some police if I were to pass the province.

The worst part is the infodemics/information chaos.
Yesterday night a *draft* of the new restrictions circulated for 6 hourse before it became official.
There was a leak probably from the Lombardy council, the Corriere della Sera published it (the main newspaper of the nation) and people went crazy. People that were in Milan but lived elsewhere flocked to train stations to go home before midnight... These are days in which we live with contraddictory information, in which media go on and on 24/7 about Coronavirus, and fake or incomplete news spread on Whattsapp.
It takes time for people to figure out they *can't* live normally...
I don’t know whether this is true, but a finn living in Milano said in the newspaper that trains are still leaving Milano fully booked?

Just for the record - this is why you don't want government in charge of your health care. I'm NOT defending the current system in the US, it has large, well-known flaws. But what is worse than a bean-counter at an insurance company making the decision for testing and treatment? A bean-counter bureaucrat at the government making that decision.
Sorry, this post is I’ll-informed. Without a doubt every location may differ. However, there are quite a few countries that have frequent recurrent infectious disease outbreaks, and have quite rapid response to new threats, particularly because they have acute recurrent experience with viral disease, which is characterized by the capacity of virus to rapidly mutate. In this thread and elsewhere there are more technical descriptions.

The fastest and often most effective responses often come in unexpected places. Both Nigeria (consider Ebola) and Brazil (consider Dengue) are examples. The primary transmission vectors differ substantially, although most such diseases have some traceable animal origin (e.g. insect, civet, snake). Countries that have such hospitable environments for carriers tend to be the first to see any given disease. Once humans acquire such a disease the hardest part begins. The three subject matter topics that become the focus are epidemiology, treatment and prevention.

Epidemiology is prone to political influence. Foreigners, poor people, people with unconventional sexual, dietary and/or religious practices often are early cases, so politicians often demonize the carriers rather than the disease.

Treatment often becomes politically fraught because diagnosis itself can be costly and/or difficult. Treatment once diagnosed can be expensive and/or difficult to make universally available. Poor people, non-citizens, unpopular ethnic/religious groups all are less often treated quickly and effectively.

Prevention almost always involves some type of sequestration, immunization and atypically comprehensive sanitation. As usual all of those are least effective fir poor, old or unpopular groups.

I am not physician nor have I any direct scientific background. I was an n which role I learned vastly more than I wished to about all three of the topics above.

in the present case we already see all the major impediments to quick positive results:

in China, Italy, South Korea and US early cases involved:
1.;religious groups affected during gatherings;
2. Specific ethnic groups disproportionately affected due to communal living, inter Alia;
3. Poor people affected disproportionately in very dense living/working conditions;
arrangements;
4. Foreigners/foreign travelers importing disease acquired elsewhere.

Those four conditions combine to cause irrational reactions and delays in proper response.

Rapid and draconian restrictions on ‘others’ make it invariably slower and less effective to respond to any essential medical necessity. Further, political objections, frequently involving payment and/or access, cause harm to pragmatic solutions.

Finally jingoistic reactions make adoption of good solutions found elsewhere in favor of locally devised ‘better’ solutions.

in the end that makes the US slow, bureaucratic and ineffective when compared to absurdly improbable places like Nigeria and Brazil. The political process alone reduces quick and efficient learning from less favored countries such as, in this case, China, Iran and South Korea. Even in this thread we are prone to imagine that the US knows more than anywhere else.

Sadly, countries like Nigeria and Brazil can and do diagnose quickly. Both have enormous difficulties translating that into proper medical care, except fir the rich who can pay for superior private care. Just as sadly places like the US are now pretty poor on both categories.

When my high priced Miami dentist cannot get surgical masks, my Oncologist friend cannot test I’ll patients for COVID-19, horror stories from Kirkland and elsewhere abound and cruise ships become gigantic Petrie dishes...
Globally this will pass in a few months. The aftermath should make the world join the WHO in forming global early detection, treatment and prevention processes so the world need not repeat these disasters ever decade or two. We did that for smallpox, measles, polio and nearly did it for syphilis. In all those cases we have allowed politics and pseudo-science to eradicate decades of exhaustive work.

Even Tesla cannot thrive in a world so dedicated to destruction of global cooperation. We all need to understand the root causes of these problems, now, while a global focus might overcome jingoism. Might, but odds might not be too good. Is there another solution?

Here in Belgium we now have 200 cases, but no deaths that I'm aware of.
Neighbors France and Germany each have ~950 cases.
France has 45 serious/critical and 16 deaths.
Germany has 9 serious/critical and 0 deaths.
Beer > wine?

In other news, Diamond Princess CFR now above 1% (7/696). Latest victim is "non-Japanese male". I still don't know why deaths of Japanese citizens dropped from 5 to 4 about a week ago, but Japan seems to be tracking things so I'll assume the latest count is correct.

Provided you can afford the 20% that medicare doesn't cover and also the drugs--unless you can pay extra for the gap policies. And live in one of the states where Medicare and Medicaid aren't hamstrung.

Canada doesn’t cover everything either. About 70-75%. I don’t believe Canada covers drugs.

medicaid covers everything.

also, not defending our system. Just saying that the high ricks groups are covered under government healthcare.

Canada doesn’t cover everything either. About 70-75%. I don’t believe Canada covers drugs.

also, not defending our system. Just saying that the high ricks groups are covered under government healthcare.

I don’t know where you are getting your information but I’ve never paid out of pocket for any medical treatment in Canada.

My work benefits cover 80% of any prescription I need filled and that level of coverage I would say is the norm.

I assume drugs are subsidized, if not in full, then partially, if you are low income but I don’t know.

I also assume that if you require drugs for a life threatening disease, these are provided free of charge if you don’t have insurance but again, I’m only speculating.

Lastly, it’s my understanding that the cost of drugs is much lower in Canada vs the US.

- a Canadian

2 weeks ago Italy had 20 cases.

Mar-6 : Lombardy's welfare minister: "every day we get 200 new people to the ER in critical conditions, which means every day we need to find 200 more hospital beds. […] the virus is spreading at an exceptional speed, faster than our predictions and than the data we got from China."

How is it working as a doctor in Italy now ? Warning : Its hard to read.

Testimony of a surgeon working in Bergamo, in the heart of Italy's coronavirus outbreak [translation in comments] : Coronavirus

I don’t know where you are getting your information but I’ve never paid out of pocket for any medical treatment in Canada.

He doesn’t know how Medicaid works in the US either.
But, then again, probably >95% of the US population do not know how Medicaid and Medicare works. Yet, they argue and vote as if they know everything about the US healthcare because their favorite politician sells them what they want to hear.

Neighbors France and Germany each have ~950 cases.
France has 45 serious/critical and 16 deaths.
Germany has 9 serious/critical and 0 deaths.
Beer > wine?

In other news, Diamond Princess CFR now above 1% (7/696). Latest victim is "non-Japanese male". I still don't know why deaths of Japanese citizens dropped from 5 to 4 about a week ago, but Japan seems to be tracking things so I'll assume the latest count is correct.
One of them became undead. This is how it ends.

I never paid anything during the over 25 years we lived in Canada. Did this change recently? The only thing we ever paid for was dental.

My work benefits cover 80% of any prescription I need filled and that level of coverage I would say is the norm.

I assume drugs are subsidized, if not in full, then partially, if you are low income but I don’t know.

I also assume that if you require drugs for a life threatening disease, these are provided free of charge if you don’t have insurance but again, I’m only speculating.

Lastly, it’s my understanding that the cost of drugs is much lower in Canada vs the US.

- a Canadian

I agree medical is covered 100%. I was just saying drugs weren’t covered which is about 20-25% of costs.

Sounds like your work provides private insurance to cover most drug costs. That’s great.

anyways, my point was that in the US it’s similar for people over 65.