Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50/50 probability that Oklahoma goes the way of Texas and bans masks
So far as I know, Texas has not banned masks. Their trumper governor did disallow penalties for non-compliance with local ordinances but all the large city mayors in Texas have petitioned to reinstate local authority.

In other words, the Mayors think the Governor is a trumptard. No kidding

In the meantime NM needs a wall to prevent AZ and Texas trumptards from infecting my state.

I’ve wondered for a number of weeks about all those hydroxychloroquine tablets that were acquired in the boondoggle that was created over this. Finally saw an article on it. I had Figured that Trump’s stockpile got sold/passed off to Brazil’s Bolsonaro, who was also touting them. Looks like our country still has them. Probably best thing to do would be donate them to countries where malaria is a real concern. And to think people in this country couldn’t get it for their conditions where it is effective because the stockpile created such a vacuum in the supply chain. Still wonder who got rich over it.

US stockpile stuck with surplus of 63 million doses of hydroxychloroquine - CNN

Last edited:
I’ve wondered for a number of weeks about all those hydroxychloroquine tablets that were acquired in the boondoggle that was created over this. Finally saw an article on it. I had Figured that Trump’s stockpile got sold/passed off to Brazil’s Bolsonaro, who was also touting them. Looks like our country still has them. Probably best thing to do would be donate them to countries where malaria is a real concern. And to think people in this country couldn’t get it for their conditions where it is effective because the stockpile created such a vacuum in the supply chain. Still wonder who got rich over it.

US stockpile stuck with surplus of 63 million doses of hydroxychloroquine - CNN
So we have a huge stockpile of HCQ, but not masks or gowns. Yeah that freakin stable genius level. They can hand out handfuls on November 4th to the doomsday cultists.

Edit: correction to HCQ thanks to @SageBrush

Last edited:
50/50 probability that Oklahoma goes the way of Texas and bans masks
AFAIK, Texas hasn't banned masks. Big city mayors asked the governor to let cities require masks, and he said no. Now, the governor says counties can require stores to require employees and customers to wear masks, but I don't think there's any penalty--just not being able to shop at a store that requires them.

Now, the governor says counties can require stores to require employees and customers to wear masks, but I don't think there's any penalty--just not being able to shop at a store that requires them.
That sounds like an attempt at saving face and throwing smack at the mayors while capitulating.

Probably about as good as it can get in Texas

AFAIK, Texas hasn't banned masks. Big city mayors asked the governor to let cities require masks, and he said no. Now, the governor says counties can require stores to require employees and customers to wear masks, but I don't think there's any penalty--just not being able to shop at a store that requires them.
Didn't stores/public places always have the right to require masks? Here they can require shirts, shoes, masks, etc. I remember restaurants that used to require jackets and ties. Kind of funny going in a bank (though appointments now needed) now with a mask on as there used to be signs saying no hats or face coverings. Are most people not wearing masks in Texas? Here it is very few without. And those are usually hostile idiots.

Didn't stores/public places always have the right to require masks?
In theory, yes. As a practical matter, no. Our regional grocery chain, HEB, which unlike government at any level was on top of this from day one, had to stop requiring masks because too many ignored the requirement and they had no practical way to enforce it.

In his face-saving press conference today, Gov. Abbott "clarified" that counties and cities always had the right to require businesses to require masks. Right.... He just forgot to tell them this the past couple weeks on phone calls and in meetings, as they pleaded for some way to compel masks.

In his face-saving press conference today, Gov. Abbott "clarified" that counties and cities always had the right to require businesses to require masks. Right.... He just forgot to tell them this the past couple weeks on phone calls and in meetings, as they pleaded for some way to compel masks.

The opposition to wearing masks/face coverings is so bizarre. I just don’t understand why people get so upset by it (other than it concentrating the virus in the nasal passages resulting in the virus going into the brain, and CO2 poisoning, and inducing pleurisy, which have been previously discussed as “highly plausible” theories about the drawbacks of mask wearing).

I just can’t understand the resistance, My father-in-law in South Carolina refuses to go to the doctor because they are requiring him to wear a mask. (I am not surprised by this.) It just makes no sense; completely irrational.

Too bad Arizona and Texas and all the other states did not get on this earlier. Maybe it is not too late.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: njxman
yeah... what could go wrong with protests/riots, big crowds of demonstrators confronting others ”in their face” yelling? Possibly this is driving up infections?

Does not appear so, according to Michael Osterholm. There has been no significant response in the cities with large protests. Increase in infections elsewhere appear to be timed relative to Memorial Day or reopening dates.

I’m sure the protests have caused infections, but it does not appear to be significant at all relative to the many millions more people starting to resume their regular lives (as you would expect - the scale of the protests was just too small, given that they were outside, etc.).

More significant, just like the rallies, it’s the example that the protests set in regard to maintaining good physical distancing and the wisdom of gatherings which is likely more damaging longer term. To be clear, I am not suggesting that the rallies and the protests are equivalent in any way. But anyone who went to a protest should act like a healthcare worker and assume they have been exposed and are now COVID positive, and ensure they infect no one else (including family).

It was a good podcast: key point is that this is an airborne virus primarily and you want to be outside, and not near other people who are unmasked. He is not worried about surfaces at all. He is worried about the air you breathe. (Coincidentally the podcast was on Fresh Air!)

Fresh Air

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel
HCQ

Has the trump idiot and his merry band of imbeciles done anything to increase the supply of N95 equivalent masks ?
Not a bit, but I actually found a place where you can order them: CovCare. This is the first time I've seen any available to a regular person. The price is ludicrous, $339.50 for 50 masks, but they are actually available.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush