Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The opposition to wearing masks/face coverings is so bizarre. I just don’t understand why people get so upset by it (other than it concentrating the virus in the nasal passages resulting in the virus going into the brain, and CO2 poisoning, and inducing pleurisy, which have been previously discussed as “highly plausible” theories about the drawbacks of mask wearing).

I just can’t understand the resistance, My father-in-law in South Carolina refuses to go to the doctor because they are requiring him to wear a mask. (I am not surprised by this.) It just makes no sense; completely irrational.

Too bad Arizona and Texas and all the other states did not get on this earlier. Maybe it is not too late.

Americans don't like to be told what to do.

Americans like to believe they think for themselves.

Many people aren't very smart.

Mix those 3 together and voila.

The COVID Cowboy!

The timeline is confusing - he still managed to meet with Trump in spite of getting tested. I guess maybe they do two tests - the quick Abbott isothermal test and a more reliable one taking a day to get results?

False negative on the Abbott so he got to breathe on a bunch of vulnerable people without a mask on?

Fingers crossed! Probably not that contagious three days after exposure, though - maybe the reason the Abbott had problems detecting the virus?

6FAD505F-FAFC-4B6E-9DB1-869E181FFB07.png

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Opening up is not the same thing as safe. There's no real safety until there is a vaccine in widespread use--even then being careful is your best bet.

That is the point of my post, literally a health care worker that knows the procedures to stay safe and has done so for some time now let her guard down and immediately got infected. I thought the moral to that story was obvious but you reply as though it isn't.

Reactions: jerry33
That is the point of my post, literally a health care worker that knows the procedures to stay safe and has done so for some time now let her guard down and immediately got infected. I thought the moral to that story was obvious but you reply...
It was, but sometimes you have to hit people over the head with the conclusion.

Reactions: alloverx
There's no real safety until there is a vaccine in widespread use--

Or, until we eliminate the virus in this country. Which is also possible (and I sure hope we do that rather than waiting around for a vaccine!). Of course, even in that event, we will inevitably have outbreaks (see China, New Zealand), but by and large a high level of safety is present for nearly everyone who is not traveling internationally (risks in the event of extremely low infection levels would be far far lower than other all cause mortality risks for all age groups).

We could be there by now. But we’re not.

Reactions: dfwatt
It was, but sometimes you have to hit people over the head with the conclusion.
All medical personnel aren't terrified of COVID-19. Some just don't care anymore and some want to get it so they don't have to care anymore. I think that is careless since we have no idea what the future holds for people that survive this. Will they have immunity, they should. Will they have some ongoing sequelae from this even if asymptomatic? No one knows, but it looks like some do. I'm staying in, avoiding protests and only going out when I have to and wearing my N95 mask.

That is one way of saying it.

She tried to excuse her behavior by saying that she thought "everything was OK" because her favorite politicos said so. She is an imbecile
And then there is political ideology that supersedes intelligent thought and science. That makes no sense to me but doesn't surprise me.

All medical personnel aren't terrified of COVID-19. Some just don't care anymore and some want to get it so they don't have to care anymore. I think that is careless since we have no idea what the future holds for people that survive this. Will they have immunity, they should. Will they have some ongoing sequelae from this even if asymptomatic? No one knows, but it looks like some do. I'm staying in, avoiding protests and only going out when I have to and wearing my N95 mask.
There are medical personnel over age ~ 50, or with co-morbid conditions. If they are not doing everything they can to avoid infection they are stupid/and or uninformed of the risks of infection.

There are also hordes of nurses that work as independent contractors without medical insurance. Imagine what a hospitalization would do to them, medical risks aside.

Last edited:
If he ends up needing to be hospitalized and go to the ICU wonder if his perspective will change.

I'm mostly hoping he was a superspreader on Tuesday, tbh. I used to be opposed to wishing COVID-19 on anyone, but times have changed. It's with a heavy heart that I am hoping for a superspreading event due to him on Tuesday. It may be the most powerful way to improve public health in this country. I still don't wish COVID-19 on anyone - I want as few people to get the disease as is possible.

Last edited:
The market booths in the fish area were found to be heavily contaminated with Covid, including on cutting boards. Article mentions health officials were instructing people to avoid eating raw fish. The virus was found to be in other areas of the market as well. Seafood workers came down with symptoms first.

Reuters:
China finds heavy coronavirus traces in seafood, meat sections of Beijing food market

After collapsing the market for salmon, the Chinese retracted these statements. But now they appear to be doubling down?

Coronavirus Fears in China Find a New Target: Salmon

It's much less likely to be transmitted by food. According to Michael Osterholm, anyway, he is primarily concerned about the air we breathe, as is the case for other respiratory viruses. He wants people to wash their hands, etc. (since other viruses do transmit that way), but generally he said he doesn't worry about boxes, food, etc. Likely no need to wipe everything down with Lysol. Though certainly fine to continue as long as you don't contaminate your food and you have the patience for it.

If you're wiping your food down, though, you DEFINITELY should be wearing an N95 mask AND a face shield or goggles when you go into an enclosed area with other people (likely a much higher risk reduction than food wiping, when you employ those steps). Gloves probably not a bad idea either if you can't help touching your face.

Last edited: