Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we are actually testing people, cases are jumping fast. Weird. :rolleyes:

NYC coronavirus cases are 'coming in so intensely now,' Mayor de Blasio says

• Private labs that began running coronavirus tests in New York City on Friday are reporting so many new cases that public officials are having trouble keeping up, Mayor Bill de Blasio told reporters Tuesday.
  • “As of 12 noon ... the number of confirmed cases in New York City is 36. That’s 16 new since yesterday and 11 new even since this morning at 7 a.m. when I last spoke about this,” de Blasio said.
  • Dr. Mitchell Katz, CEO of NYC Health + Hospitals, said local hospitals are bracing for an onslaught of COVID-19 cases.

its a fact that face masks are OOS everywhere and in short supply for the pros.

if we could all buy them (or, if we all already HAD them, hmmm, think about that, for a minute) - would the US government (cdc) say the same thing they are now?

I think if you do have a mask, maybe you should use it? those in charge are doing panic-control; but if you do have a mask, SHOULD you wear it? I'm thinking 'yes'.

Worth a read:

Doctor Gives A Solid Reason Why Masks Won’t Protect You From Coronavirus

With the price of hand sanitizer and masks these days, I would expect companies that make other stuff that is related to these to be shifting over these ASAP.

I wouldn't expect a government run business to shift as fast.
They don't just force them to switch. The Chinese government also provides them with equipment and materials if needed. EV makers were made to produce masks, not related at all.

Unrelated: my hospital here just bought $200,000 worth of antibiotics and electrolytes specifically in preparation of CoVid just in the last week. It's real & happening. All hands on deck. No need to panic.

It's just impossible. For all the cons of communism, one thing it shines at is the ability of the government to coerce businesses into doing whatever it needs them to do. The same mechanism by which they control the media. Without government mandate, we'll never be able to make businesses do what they do in China.

imagine a world where its NOT: government vs. business

but instead: government AND business - both working toward improving life for everyone

I don't know why we get stuck on this "should gov rule business or business rule gov?" nonsense.

the idea that they HAVE to be on opposite sides is kind of weird. like, we are told this - too many times - and have not really had a chance to challenge this very assumption.

china takes it too far one way. the US takes it too far the other way. both are bad, to be honest.

hoping some new common sense comes out of this crisis.

In a typical Belgian reaction, some organizations announced to cap the presence to 950 attendees, instead of cancelling their event :cool:

Luckily my only concert fro a while was last Thurday, only around 300 people, in Verviers and progressive rock - so I was one of the younger people present anyway, I'm 100% safe!

Edit: plus I drank a ridiculous amount of beer, so no virus would be able to survive in such a hostile environment as my body...

Last edited:
I found this to be very helpful

Self-quarantining looks like the right thing to do right now;

Covid-19, your community, and you — a data science perspective · fast.ai

For each person that has the flu, on average, they infect 1.3 other people. That’s called the “R0” for flu. If R0 is less than 1.0, then an infection stops spreading and dies out. If it’s over 1.0, it spreads. R0 currently is 2-3 for covid-19 outside China. The difference may sound small, but after 20 “generations” of infected people passing on their infection, an R0 of 1.3 would result in 146 infections, but an R0 of 2.5 would result in 36 million infections! (This is, of course, very hand-wavy and ignores many real-world impacts, but it’s a reasonable illustration of the relative difference between covid-19 and flu, all other things being equal).

Note that R0 is not some fundamental property of a disease. It depends greatly on the response, and it can change over time2. Most notably, in China R0 for covid-19 has come down greatly, and is now approaching 1.0! How, you ask? By putting in place measures at a scale that would be hard to imagine in a country such as the US—for instance, entirely locking down many giant cities, and developing a testing process that allows more than a million people a week to be tested.

taiwan-haha.png

With the price of hand sanitizer and masks these days, I would expect companies that make other stuff that is related to these to be shifting over these ASAP.

I wouldn't expect a government run business to shift as fast.

Apparently something like that is already happening; I do like the creative thinking; I do not know what to think of the labour force used (Think i dislike forms of forced labour and do hope they care for the persons making it, but that's just my opinion):
Sales of hand sanitizer spiked by 313% in one week—now New York State is making its own with prison labor

Last edited:

So instead of educating ppl by having commercials about how to handle masks properly. We just assume everyone is too dumb to put it on correctly?

I doubt they'd be singing the same tune if there are enough supplies.

Also medical staff work in environments possibly 100% filled with viral droplets. Especially during intubation. Normal walk down the street is open air. So having n95 masks significantly reduces viral load.

Last edited:
Apologies if someone already posted this Twitter thread from Mark Lipstitch of Harvard. Note the chart that maps Wuhan numbers vs. US open ICU beds. They locked down Wuhan when they had 495 cases and 23 deaths (does anyone know when the test first became available?). They obviously realized they had a lot more cases already in the community, both undetected and pre-symptomatic. The Seattle metro area is less than half the size of Wuhan, today they are at roughly the same per capita case count and a much higher per capita death count than Wuhan was on lockdown day.

He also shows Guangzho, which started intevention at 7 confirmed cases and 0 deaths. No problems there.